Career transition

okiepolkie
okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well, after "trying" the audio/video custom installation business for the last 15.5 months, I have decided to make it a go full time.

The official opening date for the business was November 1, 2005. It started out as a part time gig to help pay some bills, and has turned into a full second job. Right now, my main job is teaching jr. high students science, using my degree in physical science.

Starting in June of this year, I will be making the transition to make this my full time career. This is a big step for my family, as my wife stays home to raise our children.

There are several things I have learned over the past year, and will continue to learn more. I am trying to utilize this information to the fullest, such as giving advice to people here on the forum, where I have received so much.

In light of this, I will probably be changing a few things as well, such as company policies(actually having some :)), services, product lines, and even changing my company name to reflect my specialties.

I'll probably be running a few poles to see what people think, as far as new names, logo designs, website, etc.....

One thing I won't change is the fact that Polk will stay in the mix as one of my product lines. They have been a wonderful company to work with, and I hope I am able to provide the same in the business relationship.
Tschüss
Zach
Post edited by okiepolkie on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    Congrats Zach, I still plan to bag a YBA cd player from you, as soon as VR4 itch is scratched......
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • okiepolkie
    edited February 2007
    Just let me know when you are ready Russ.

As I will hopefully have more time for industry education, I will probably be visiting Dallas somewhat frequently to learn about new products and other things.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    Good for you. I envy you. I don't have the balls to take the risk to start my own business.

What product lines do you currently use and what are you thinking about signing up with?
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2007
    That's great news, and it is good to see that a forum member is making it in the A/V business. Congrats!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    Teaching jr high students---how do you do it man? You must have tons of patience.

Best of luck on your venture brotha!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • okiepolkie
    edited February 2007
    My website displays my current lines: www.holcombavt.com

At this point, I'm not really lacking anything, so I'm not sure what lines I'll move to in the near future. The list of available lines is almost endless, but I try to focus on a few to keep choices simple for my clients.

Eventually I will add a high end speaker line, such as Thiel, Dali, or Focal. So far I just haven't had a need for these types of speakers yet. Polk and Mordaunt Short have met the installation needs so far.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • okiepolkie
    edited February 2007
    steveinaz wrote:
    Teaching jr high students---how do you do it man? You must have tons of patience.

I do have a fair amount of patience, and it carries over to the sales/installaion business as well.

In many respects, I won't be changing what I do, I'll just be catering to a different age group. I still have to exhibit patience, as some people introduce difficulties in these types of situations, and I will definately be teaching.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2007
    Congrats Zach! I wish you good fortune in your new endevor. I'll do what I can to support you.
    Carl

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2007
    Fantastic!!
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited February 2007
    Zach will probably agree with me that teaching jr high kids is actually quite a bit of fun.

Best of luck with the venture!!
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    WTG Zach! Both with your old & new jobs!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2007
    Way to go, Zach! Best wishes for your success.
    okiepolkie wrote:
    ...and even changing my company name to reflect my specialties.
    Losing your name from the business' name would be a good move. You're bound to be looking to sell the biz some years down the road (it's your new 401k) and it might be hard finding a buyer named Holcomb...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    Best of luck to you.
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited February 2007
    Nice. There were a few years there where I considered pursuing something like this, but I simply didn't, and still don't, have the balls. Congrats, and best wishes!
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    Congrats man. I wish nothing but the best for you.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2007
    All the best Zach. Too bad you are not in Canada as I need a new PLASMA.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • okiepolkie
    edited February 2007
    Hey Michael, I still owe you a business popcorn box. Actually, I have remembered it off and on, but I haven't had a chance to get any more printed up. Shoot me a PM with your info again.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2007
    Thanks Zach. PM sent.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2007
    Congrats Zach!

Remember to keep it simple, it is way better to be known for doing a couple of things well than alot of things poorly. Any full service venture runs the risk of the over-promising trap.

and of course enjoy..........................
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2007
    Nice Zach, good for you. All the best !
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2007
    Win one for the Gipper!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • okiepolkie
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for all the support guys. Although there are some days of apprehension, I am still confident this is what we, as a family, need to do.

Dennis, as far as overextending/overpromising myself, there are times where this will probably occur. That is one of the reasons I am focusing on this, instead of doing it "part" time. Also, I am constantly re-evaluating my business plan, and model, to KEEP it simple.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited February 2007
    Rock on. Now if I could just do the same I would be happy.
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited February 2007
    That's awesome new Zach. I wish you and your family the very best with this new "full time" adventure :D You have helped me tremendously with my system. My wife & I love it! :cool:

BTW, when are we going to have a Memphis area Polkfest?? We're hoping to move away from the area this year so we need to do it ASAP!
  • okiepolkie
    edited February 2007
    For those of you that have contemplated this, but are still on the shaky side, remember(re-read my opening post) that I didn't start out doing this full time. A/V started out as a hobby, then a service for friends(still a hobby), then a part time gig, and will only become a full time job after 10 years(20 months of being in the actual business) of personal experience.

If you are willing to go through a little bit of working nights and weekends, it will probably pan out for you in the long run.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • okiepolkie
    edited February 2007
    MattN03 wrote:
    That's awesome new Zach. I wish you and your family the very best with this new "full time" adventure :D You have helped me tremendously with my system. My wife & I love it! :cool:

BTW, when are we going to have a Memphis area Polkfest?? We're hoping to move away from the area this year so we need to do it ASAP!

How about June of this year? I am busy with school, and installations most weekend right now, but I should have a couple free ones at the beginning of the summer. There are a couple people that will hopefully be back in the area about that time.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • MattN03
    MattN03 Posts: 558
    edited February 2007
    okiepolkie wrote:
    How about June of this year? I am busy with school, and installations most weekend right now, but I should have a couple free ones at the beginning of the summer. There are a couple people that will hopefully be back in the area about that time.

Sounds like a plan. Let's make it happen-just let me know if you need any help. ;)