stuffing SDAs with foam

Options
ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited March 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I was looking at the different options for stuffing the SDA 1.2's with deadening material. Originally they came with poly stuffing, but I was considering using Egg crate foam. If I use egg crate foam should I cover all the walls with it? Should I combine polyfill with it in the mid Bass area? In stock speakers they they don't have anything in the lower half of my SDA2's.

Thanks Ben
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2007
    Options
    hard to answer, why not leave them as Polk built them?

you may love or hate the changes the new filling will cauase

but you will never know till you try
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • ben62670
    edited February 2007
    Options
    yeah I agree, I was just looking to see if anyone has tried the foam, or if anyone could tell me about stock SDA1.2's
    Thanks Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    Options
    monocoque

soundcoat
  • ben62670
    edited February 2007
    Options
    These are spray on coatings?
    Should I use the polyfill in conjunction with the coatings to keep the boxes right?
    Thanks Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Sorry, not spray coating but words to search the forum with (one word per search). There are a few posts that mention these and I thought it would be helpful with your labor of love.
  • ben62670
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Well I tried loosely stuffing my SDA-SRS with poly fill in the upper cabinet. Wow did it muffle the bass, and mids. Lost almost all the punch! unstuffed them and punch is back, hitting pretty hard, but not quite like when they were electronically crossed over. Next step is egg crate foam. After what I have seen I think that might rob some bass to, but it will keep the cabinet open.
    Thanks
    Ben