Finally trying to kick the habit...

2»

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2007
    Good luck I guess, never smoked, never understood it, hope you don't kill anyone.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    my dad stopped smoking cold turkey one day.. that was 20 yrs ago this year.. he's still alive today i'm sure because he quit when he did. he's in his late 70's and still going strong. Walks several miles a day to keep healthy.

stop smoking now!

good luck to you and anyone else who is wanting to quit as well.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
    edited February 2007
    Well, I know its only been a day but so far, so good. I took everyone's advice yesterday and threw the last 7 cigarettes (yes, I smoked one more) away. The last time I smoked was 12 noon yesterday. The only problem I seem to be having is not really the withdraws, just the habits, like everytime I go outside, I think I should be smoking because I NEVER smoked inside the house, after everytime I eat, when I'm on the phone. If I could just clear my head and not think about smoking, this wouldn't be so bad.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    Find some kind of substitute, even if it's a Tic Tac or something. When I quit (even though I only smoked for a couple of years), I needed SOMETHING to fill that void in the "obvious" smoking times, like after a meal. A friend of mine's father was very successful with just having toothpicks on him all the time.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2007
    don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but imagine all the upgrading you can do with the saved money by quitting...

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Grimster74 wrote:
    Well, I know its only been a day but so far, so good. I took everyone's advice yesterday and threw the last 7 cigarettes (yes, I smoked one more) away. The last time I smoked was 12 noon yesterday. The only problem I seem to be having is not really the withdraws, just the habits, like everytime I go outside, I think I should be smoking because I NEVER smoked inside the house, after everytime I eat, when I'm on the phone. If I could just clear my head and not think about smoking, this wouldn't be so bad.

You won't feel the physical withdrawl for a couple of days and it lasts seven. After that the headaches and aches and pains subside then the real test starts. Just do it one day at a time. . . sometimes one hour at at time or even one minute at a time. If you feel the urge to smoke and it won't subside, eat something sweet. If you gain weight so what, you can always loose it. I gained over 40 lbs but I've lost 20 of it and am still going down.

Keep like beef jerky availible, it will keep your hands busy and definetely your jaws plus your chances of gaining weight are less with jerky. If that doesn't kill the urge, go for the sweets that will definetely kill that urge.
  • jabrax
    jabrax Posts: 315
    edited February 2007
    Heres an image to help ya stop....Stopped me cold.
    I never smoked in the house after my kid was born. However, I would do it in the car and hold the cigarette out of the window.

Well, I look in the rearview mirror and see my then 3 yr old in the car seat with a lolipop stick between her fingers up to her mouth. I ask, "what are doing?"...She says, "I'm smoking".

I've only smoked a half cig since.

Fortunatly, she is now 12 and cant uderstand why people smoke :)

Hang strong bro
    TV...............Hitachi 42hdS52a plasma (sexy one with the swival)
    Pre/Processor - Emotiva MMC
    Seven Ch AMP - Emotiva LPA
    Fronts - Tyler Acoustics 7U's
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    DAC - Music Hall 25.3CD - Marantz cc4001
    Blue Ray - PS3
    Speaker cables - Audioquest cv4 dbs
    Interconnects - MIT AVT1's
    Power Filter....Monster HTS 3500 MKII
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited February 2007
    Grimster74 wrote:

Hang in there man,one of the first things you need to do is change some of your "habits"

We are all creatures of habit,cig. with coffee,cig. at break,cig. after lunch,cig.when we go outside...

Break up your routine,change the pace,this will help break the habit.

Get a hold on your thoughts,the mental addiction is far worse than the physical.

I still reach into my pocket to pull out a cigarette,these habits are hard to break,but can be done with determination and attitude.

Good luck bro and hang in there.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    I'll tell you what helped me the most. A friend of mine bought me a rubiks cube for my birthday and everytime I wanted a cig I picked up the cube. Well I have now mastered it and can solve it in under 2 minutes. But it really helped me with the physical part of the quit and now after 5 weeks of not smoking i'm over the withdrawl and cant stand the smell of smoke. Hang in there man you can do it.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    I wonder if I should get a Rubik's cube every time I feel like reaching for the Haagen Dazs?:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited February 2007
    I have decided to quit 3 month ago to the day.
    after 13 years of smoking a pack a day.
    I still define myself as an ex smoker, because I could go out and buy a pack and smoke it in a blink of an eye. but I don't. in any case I have some advice.

1. read allen karr's book "the easy way to stop smoking". good book. good book.

2. get a nice per of earphones, closed design. When u get sleepless (as you might in the first month or so) tune it to middle of the night radio, wihtout getting out of bed. and without disrupting your wife.

3. I found Orage juice to help alot. do noy know why. it just does.

4. think about all the money you are about to save. buy yourself something nice.
    4.1 Polk Audio has lots of products which match the description "somehting nice".
    4.2 Buy your old lady something nice, for putting up with living with an ashtray.

5. If, and only if you must, try some nicotine gum. it might take the edge off.
    remember this nasty habbit has 2 parts.
    1. A physical addiction to nicotine
    2. the psycological dependency in the ritual of smoking (after eating , or ****, or at a pub or whatever). the gum helps with the physical addiction. I think the second part of the habbit is more difficult to kick off.

6. try to fine time to do some sports. you WILL gain some weight and this helps. in addition you get to feel the improvment, as your lungs keep getting clearer.

7. screw worrying about gaining weight. It will come right off in a few month. becides we all know that what is importent is that your Towers look impressive, and your TV looks sharp.

8. clean the C#$% right out of your house. get a detailing crew. once you get your sense of smell back, you will be disgusted by the fact that you ever touched your kids smelling like that.

9. above all .... GOOD LUCK.
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited February 2007
    Alright, a fellow non-smoker. Like everyone else has mentioned, the first week or can be a little tough. I smoked for 25+ years. Two packs of Kools a day. Always had a job so I always had smokes. Finally decided to give em up. I thought it was going to be rougher than it actually was. Having support at home also helps. My wife and kids are the reason I quit and stayed smoke free. It's been 6 years now.:D