Just got my PSW650, settings help

Hey guys, how are your PSW650's setup? Right now mine is running a Monster Cable Monsterbass 400 sub cable, with the y-adapter hooked up and running into the "L/R IN" on the sub.

I have the volume up front to 9, and the adj low pass is at 100hz, boost to 0, normal phase alignment.

Is that about the normal setting? I'm using my Harman Kardon AVR 125. I have it set to "<L/R> + LFE", I have Klipsch RF-3 fronts, and they are set to large and the RC-3 center is set to small. No surrounds right now.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Scott Goldsmith

Home Theatre:
Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)
Klipsch RC-3 (Center)
Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)
SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwoofer
Harman Kardon AVR-520
Mitsubishi WS-65869 Widescreen TV
Denon DVD 1600
Sony DVD DVP-S530D
Post edited by Orange Peel on

Comments

• JediCowboy
    JediCowboy Posts: 56
    edited August 2002
    Well, I just got done setting up my 650 and the responses I got in this thread:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5076

were most helpful.

Here's a summary of my equipment, what I was told/what I did:

Receiver: Denon 3802
    Fronts: RTi70
    Center: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi50
    Subwoofer PSW650

Since the Subwoofer out on the Denon is filtered (so I was told) I have a single RCA cable running to the LFE in on the 650. I used to use the Y adaptor as well, but was told that would cause double filtering

Reciever settings:
    Fronts: SMALL
    Center: SMALL
    Surrounds: SMALL
    Crossover: 80Hz
    (No LFE or LFE+Main chosen since the fronts are set to SMALL)

The sub is behind my seating position, off to the side about 6 feet. Volume is just above 7, Low pass at 80Hz, Boost to 0, Reverse phase alignment.

These settings work *very* well in my room.
    The Force is with Me -- YEEHAW!!!

Denon 3802
    Mains -- RTi70s Biwired
    Center -- CSi40 Biwired
    Surrounds -- FXi50s
  • Orange Peel
    Orange Peel Posts: 53
    edited August 2002
    Wow, a reply, thanks, I didn't think anyone was gonna reply at all. I read that post too, and they gave some good advice. I tried the LFE input on the sub, and it didn't seem to have as much power that way with my setup, seemed a lot quieter for some reason. So I put the y-adapter back on, I'm using a Harman Kardon reciever, so I'm sure it's filtered too. My low pass is set at 100 or so hz, and volume at 8. 0 boost and normal phase alignment, like it makes a difference, it doesn't seem to work with the y-adapter.

Thanks for your input, I will mess with it some more and see if I can get it to sound better, let me know how yours works out if you find something out better.
    Scott Goldsmith

Home Theatre:
    Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)
    Klipsch RC-3 (Center)
    Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)
    SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwoofer
    Harman Kardon AVR-520
    Mitsubishi WS-65869 Widescreen TV
    Denon DVD 1600
    Sony DVD DVP-S530D
  • JediCowboy
    JediCowboy Posts: 56
    edited August 2002
    Scott,

I keep a record of all my current settings here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1298783#post1298783

I'd still reccomend against the Y adaptor to avoid the double filter. In some of the other posts on this forum and in the older Polk news letters archived on this site, issue 2 or 3 I think -- it was an article on bass management by Matthew Polk -- I found some additional advice that may be of help.

What I read was to have 3 RCA cables going to the sub -- The first from the receiver subwoofer out to the LFE in, The second and third from the Left and Right Pre-outs on the reciver to the Subwoofer L/R ins. This, supposedly will catch some of the mid-bass signals and send it to the sub allowing you to have an unfiltered signal for which you can use the variable crossover control on the back of the sub to tweak the bass to your liking.

I haven't tried this yet -- my extra set of RCA cables falls just about 4 feet short and I don't feel like goign and buying 2 new 24' cables just yet or moving my furniture to get the sub closer. I'll let you know if I try this later on.

The Force is with Me -- YEEHAW!!!

Denon 3802
    Mains -- RTi70s Biwired
    Center -- CSi40 Biwired
    Surrounds -- FXi50s