Dual Mono vs. Stereo

ledhed
ledhed Posts: 1,088
edited February 2007 in Electronics
Ok, so a few amp kits I'm looking at (such as the LM60 from ampslab) are single mono channels that I would then use in one chassis as a dual mono design.

My question is just what is the difference between dual mono as opposed to stereo? Shouldn't the source/pre-amp do all the stereo work and in the amp it doesn't matter? Or would I not have a true stereo rig? What would be the pro/cons?
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
Post edited by ledhed on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    Dual mono simply means that two completey separate amp channels,each with their own power supply are assembled into one chassis.A stereo unit has two channels but they share a common power supply in one chassis.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    GV#27 wrote:
    Dual mono simply means that two completey separate amp channels,each with their own power supply are assembled into one chassis.A stereo unit has two channels but they share a common power supply in one chassis.

So, this changes nothing in the way they theoretically sound or a signal is processed correct?
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited February 2007
    There should be no cross talk between channel's with the mono blocks and a dedicated power supply for each amp.

I'm a newb to this but that is what I believe is the benefit.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    ledhed wrote:
    So, this changes nothing in the way they theoretically sound or a signal is processed correct?
    Correct. They are both stereo.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    GV#27 wrote:
    Correct. They are both stereo.

Great, thats what I thought
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited February 2007
    Shouldn't the source/pre-amp do all the stereo work and in the amp it doesn't matter?

No, amps matter. Each has an unique sound that comes out in the mix as do the characteristics of dual mono, mono blocks and stereo configurations. To say they are all stereo is oversimplifying the matter.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ledhed
    edited February 2007
    F1nut wrote:
    No, amps matter. Each has an unique sound that comes out in the mix as do the characteristics of dual mono, mono blocks and stereo configurations. To say they are all stereo is oversimplifying the matter.

Well, let me be much more specific; will I lose anything in the way of stereographic projection, if the recording itself was recorded that way?
  • F1nut
    edited February 2007
    Hmmm.....let me say it another way. They all produce stereo sound, but they have their own characteristics or sonic signature based on design and configuration.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ledhed
    edited February 2007
    F1nut wrote:
    Hmmm.....let me say it another way. They all produce stereo sound, but they have their own characteristics or sonic signature based on design and configuration.

Right, well I knew that. Otherwise I'd just be content with a low cost AVR ;)
  • F1nut
    edited February 2007
    Oki doki then...maybe I'm not getting what you are after.

President of Club Polk

• ledhed
    edited February 2007
    F1nut wrote:
    Oki doki then...maybe I'm not getting what you are after.

No, you answered it perfectly. I wanted to make sure the sound coming out would still technically be stereo. Thanks for all your help guys!
  • F1nut
    edited February 2007
    In that case, you're golden.

President of Club Polk