It just seems like there is nothing to listen to...

G-2
G-2 Posts: 533
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
CDsRLSi9onSanusUF346x8.jpg

Nothing to listen to, anybody else having this problem???
Home Theater
Chane
A3rx-c's, A2rc-c, A1rx-c's|Miller & Kreisel V-125's|Sony XBR65X810C 65" 4K LED TV|
Earthquake Cinenova Grande-5|Pioneer Elite - VSX-84TXSi-AVR|TRIPPLITE LCR2400|
Ultrasonic Amp Stand|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|

2 - Channel
Polk
RTA 12c's w/RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills resistors (full mod)|Turntable|
Anthem MCA 2|Acurus Act 3 Pre Pro|Parasound P/Ph 100|Pioneer Elite N-30|Adcom GDA600|
Premier Rack|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|
Post edited by G-2 on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    G-2 wrote:

Nothing to listen to, anybody else having this problem???

Put on Dark Side Of The Moon.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • G-2
    edited February 2007
    Done; problem solved, thanks Sartori!
    Home Theater
    Chane
    A3rx-c's, A2rc-c, A1rx-c's|Miller & Kreisel V-125's|Sony XBR65X810C 65" 4K LED TV|

2 - Channel
    Polk
    RTA 12c's w/RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills resistors (full mod)|Turntable|
    Anthem MCA 2|Acurus Act 3 Pre Pro|Parasound P/Ph 100|Pioneer Elite N-30|Adcom GDA600|
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    I've got an even worse situation...LOL. All..well most all of my stuff is still boxed from my move after divorcing. Boxes of CD's, crates of albums and close to 300 gigs of MP3's. Since I'm only home every weekend or so a month I'm unable to find a freakin' thing I want to listen to most of the time. Sure I have a couple of dozen albums and a 2'-0" stack of CD's, but I find myself on the computer taking MP3's and adjusting the sampling with MP3 Gain, compressing them with Otsjuke...then enhancing them within NERO Deluxe and burning them to CD. I'm now playing with a new sound card and connecting my computer to my system. I can tell you this...using Otsjuke to source music to my amp has so far been a nice experience.

But....what a wall of music. Give me an hour or so and I'll find something to play....LOL
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    you can call it the G2 wall of sound. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    Turn on the radio.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited February 2007
    for me...there is nothing NEW that I want to listen to....:D
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited February 2007
    lol.......That picture and your comment makes me think of those women with a closet full of clothes saying they have nothing to wear:eek:

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2007
    krabby5 wrote:
    for me...there is nothing NEW that I want to listen to....:D

Your just not looking in the right places. Tryout http://www.last.fm/ or http://pandora.com and I bet you will find something within 30 minutes.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2007
    Send all those crappy CD's this way; I'll pay 1/2 shipping ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    That's a sure sign of getting old. BTW, I haven't bought a CD in over a year. Gasp, air is getting thinner everyday.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2007
    That would be my DVD wall. Not quite as many but close.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited February 2007
    ledhed wrote:
    Your just not looking in the right places. Tryout http://www.last.fm/ or http://pandora.com and I bet you will find something within 30 minutes.

I really don't like any new music, though...I'm mainly into rock and nothing out there right now really interests me..

guess I'm stuck in the 80's and 90's;)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited February 2007
    Yep, I'm in that funk right now. I decided to turn the rig off this week in anticipation of a few Polkies coming over this weekend. We will be demoing some other gear as well as my gear and I thought taking a week off or so from listening might benefit................we'll see.

I need to get to the used cd store and start adding to the collection.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2007
    my musical taste tends to go in waves. for a while I'll be into one artist, then I'll rediscover someone I liked 2 years ago, that sort of thing. And sure, every so often I just can't find anything that I want to listen to, or anything that fits the mood. When that's the case, I just shut the system down and come back to it the next day or maybe a few days later.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    I never run out of stuff to listen to. I can't get around to listening to all I have now. Plus I purchase 5-10 new albums a month. All I have to do is look through what I have...I'll find something I haven't listened to in a while.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2007
    ledhed wrote:

Pandora Rocks!!
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Mother Mooch
    Mother Mooch Posts: 129
    edited February 2007
    Sartori wrote:
    Put on Dark Side Of The Moon.....

Kudos! :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,675
    edited February 2007
    Those are LP's, right? So, that rack is, like, sixteen feet high, right?

;-)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    When ever I get in that mood, I'll go back and pick some CD's that I usually skip past.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2007
    Thanks! My new house is being built and I'm going to show that to my contractor for my music room :)
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2007
    I listened to The Eagles tonight. It was their best of #2 CD. Very good. Picked it up super cheap at a local second hand music store.

Can't get enough of Hotel California... which btw, does anybody really know what that song is about? My wife asked me that today, and I didn't have an answer...
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2007
    One write-up anyway.

The Eagles - Hotel California lyric meanings and song facts

This is about materialism and excess. California is used as the setting, but it could relate to anywhere in America.

Don Henley: "We were all middle-class kids from the Midwest. Hotel California was our interpretation of the high life in Los Angeles.
    This won the 1977 Grammy for Record Of The Year. The band did not show up to accept the award, as Don Henley did not believe in contests.
    Don Felder got the ball rolling on this. He had the chord progressions and took it to Don Henley and Glen Frey. They put the words down, then Joe Walsh wrote all the guitar parts and arranged them for everyone. (thanks, Les - Dannevirke, New Zealand)

"Colitas," in the line "Warm smell of colitas," is often interpreted as a flower or a sexual reference. It is a Spanish word translated to Henley by The Eagles Mexican-American road manager meaning "Little Buds," and is a reference to marijuana.
    This was recorded at 3 different sessions before The Eagles got the version they wanted. The biggest problem was finding the right key for Henley's vocal.

Glenn Frey compares this to an episode of The Twilight Zone, where it jumps from one scene to the next and doesn't necessarily make sense.
    The line "They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast" is a reference to Steely Dan. They shared the same manager and had a friendly rivalry. The year before, Steely Dan included the line "Turn up The Eagles, the neighbors are listening" on the song "Everything You Did."
    Don Felder and Joe Walsh played together on the guitar solos, creating the textured sound.
    The lyrics for this came with the album. Some people thought the line "She's got the Mercedes Bends" was a misspelling of "Mercedes Benz," and wrote Henley to complain. The line was a play on words.

Glenn Frey: "That record explores the under belly of success, the darker side of Paradise. Which was sort of what we were experiencing in Los Angeles at that time. So that just sort of became a metaphor for the whole world and for everything you know. And we just decided to make it Hotel California. So with a microcosm of everything else going on around us." (thanks, Moomin - London, England)

When The Eagles got back together in 1994, they recorded a live version of this for an MTV special that was included on their album Hell Freezes Over. The album was #1 in the US its first week.

All 7 past and present members of The Eagles performed this in 1998 when they were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.
    The hotel on the album cover is the Beverly Hills Hotel, known as the Pink Palace. It is often frequented by Hollywood stars. The photo was taken by photographers David Alexander and John Kosh, who sat in a cherry-picker about 60 feet above Sunset Boulevard to get the shot of the hotel at sunset from above the trees. The rush-hour traffic made it a harrowing experience.
    Although it is well known that Hotel California is actually a metaphor, there are several strange internet theories and urban legends about the "real" Hotel California. Some include suggestions that it was an old church taken over by devil worshippers, a psychiatric hospital, an inn run by cannibals or Aleister Crowley's mansion in Scotland. (thanks, Adam - Dewsbury, England)

The music may have been inspired by the 1969 Jethro Tull song "We Used to Know," from their album Stand up. The chord progressions are nearly identical, and the bands toured together before The Eagles recorded it. (thanks, Dave - Cleveland, OH)

In Chicago at the time of this song's popularity many people called Cook County jail "Hotel California" because it is on California street. The name stuck and now people of all ages and races refer to the jail by this nickname. (thanks, jesse - chicago, IL)

Don Felder: "I had just leased this house out on the beach at Malibu, I guess it was around '74 or '75. I remember sitting in the living room, with all the doors wide open on a spectacular July day. I had this acoustic 12-string and I started tinkling around with it, and those Hotel California chords just kind of oozed out. Every once in a while it seems like the cosmos part and something great just plops in your lap." (thanks, Stone - Libertyville, IL)
    The music bears a resemblance to the Jethro Tull song "We Used to Know." During a BBC radio interview, Ian Anderson (Tull's frontman ) said laughingly that he was still waiting for the royalties. Jethro Tull have toured with the Eagles. (thanks, Lawrence - Royal Tunbridge Wells, England)
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    put in some SRV, or maybe some Buddy Guy
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • G-2
    edited February 2007
    The rack goes from Abba to ZZ, Lots of Jazz, Classical, Theatre, Bluegrass, and Rock titles (and some country), there are collections as well. This rack is what's left, we had about 3 times these but just couldn't ever listen to it all (and we could only get my buddy's dad to make one of these racks).

Gotta give some love to Frank Zappa, who's music used to take up the entire bottom shelf (now it takes up half), You are what you is, makes you want to go to Joes Garage and Sheik Yerbouti!! Finally an up-side to growing up in Baltimore!!
    Home Theater
    Chane

2 - Channel
    Polk
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2007
    janmike wrote:
    One write-up anyway.

The Eagles - Hotel California lyric meanings and song facts

This is about materialism and excess. California is used as the setting, but it could relate to anywhere in America.

Don Henley: "We were all middle-class kids from the Midwest. Hotel California was our interpretation of the high life in Los Angeles.
    This won the 1977 Grammy for Record Of The Year. The band did not show up to accept the award, as Don Henley did not believe in contests.
    Don Felder got the ball rolling on this. He had the chord progressions and took it to Don Henley and Glen Frey. They put the words down, then Joe Walsh wrote all the guitar parts and arranged them for everyone. (thanks, Les - Dannevirke, New Zealand)

"Colitas," in the line "Warm smell of colitas," is often interpreted as a flower or a sexual reference. It is a Spanish word translated to Henley by The Eagles Mexican-American road manager meaning "Little Buds," and is a reference to marijuana.
    This was recorded at 3 different sessions before The Eagles got the version they wanted. The biggest problem was finding the right key for Henley's vocal.

Glenn Frey compares this to an episode of The Twilight Zone, where it jumps from one scene to the next and doesn't necessarily make sense.
    The line "They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast" is a reference to Steely Dan. They shared the same manager and had a friendly rivalry. The year before, Steely Dan included the line "Turn up The Eagles, the neighbors are listening" on the song "Everything You Did."
    Don Felder and Joe Walsh played together on the guitar solos, creating the textured sound.
    The lyrics for this came with the album. Some people thought the line "She's got the Mercedes Bends" was a misspelling of "Mercedes Benz," and wrote Henley to complain. The line was a play on words.

Glenn Frey: "That record explores the under belly of success, the darker side of Paradise. Which was sort of what we were experiencing in Los Angeles at that time. So that just sort of became a metaphor for the whole world and for everything you know. And we just decided to make it Hotel California. So with a microcosm of everything else going on around us." (thanks, Moomin - London, England)

When The Eagles got back together in 1994, they recorded a live version of this for an MTV special that was included on their album Hell Freezes Over. The album was #1 in the US its first week.

All 7 past and present members of The Eagles performed this in 1998 when they were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.
    The hotel on the album cover is the Beverly Hills Hotel, known as the Pink Palace. It is often frequented by Hollywood stars. The photo was taken by photographers David Alexander and John Kosh, who sat in a cherry-picker about 60 feet above Sunset Boulevard to get the shot of the hotel at sunset from above the trees. The rush-hour traffic made it a harrowing experience.
    Although it is well known that Hotel California is actually a metaphor, there are several strange internet theories and urban legends about the "real" Hotel California. Some include suggestions that it was an old church taken over by devil worshippers, a psychiatric hospital, an inn run by cannibals or Aleister Crowley's mansion in Scotland. (thanks, Adam - Dewsbury, England)

The music may have been inspired by the 1969 Jethro Tull song "We Used to Know," from their album Stand up. The chord progressions are nearly identical, and the bands toured together before The Eagles recorded it. (thanks, Dave - Cleveland, OH)

In Chicago at the time of this song's popularity many people called Cook County jail "Hotel California" because it is on California street. The name stuck and now people of all ages and races refer to the jail by this nickname. (thanks, jesse - chicago, IL)

Don Felder: "I had just leased this house out on the beach at Malibu, I guess it was around '74 or '75. I remember sitting in the living room, with all the doors wide open on a spectacular July day. I had this acoustic 12-string and I started tinkling around with it, and those Hotel California chords just kind of oozed out. Every once in a while it seems like the cosmos part and something great just plops in your lap." (thanks, Stone - Libertyville, IL)
    The music bears a resemblance to the Jethro Tull song "We Used to Know." During a BBC radio interview, Ian Anderson (Tull's frontman ) said laughingly that he was still waiting for the royalties. Jethro Tull have toured with the Eagles. (thanks, Lawrence - Royal Tunbridge Wells, England)

Thanks for the info! Some interesting thoughts in there... Good find
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier