Need help creating listening room

Options
ledhed
ledhed Posts: 1,088
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
During class today I was just zoning out as usual and it occurred to me that I have a 10x12 room that I could do anything I wanted with. Years ago, we built a 2 story building that serves as a utility room on the bottom and a "playhouse" on top which is now full of unwanted things from my and my sister's rooms.

The room has windows on three sides; A door and two windows on the front 10' wall and one 12' wall is empty - this is the wall I plan on having my gear at.

There is currently R-type insulation foam on the inside walls and ceiling, linoleum for a floor, full electricity and A/C. So, essentially I have a blank canvas from which I could do whatever I wanted. we currently have a couch, chair and 2 recliners sitting in my basement so the furnishing is pretty much done :D

Over spring break I plan to clean out the room and begin work on it during the summer. What do I need to do to get the best sound response? I plan on putting down carpet, and some cheap wall panels that I can paint. I would like to add some DIY acoustic panels where needed. I'm thinking of possibly using mass loaded vinyl to cover the ceiling as the roof is tin and there is no insulation between it and the ceiling besides the Rmat though the cheapest I have found so far is 1.40 per square foot which is still a little pricey for my budget (next to nothing)

What would be best to finish off the ceiling? Something slightly dampening like carpet or something else?

Pretty much, what do I need to do to make this room give me the best performance possible? Like I said, it is a blank slate and there is no aesthetic acceptance factor anywhere :D I plan on running a 20A breaker for the room also. A big possibility for this room will be a cheap but decent HT (I have Rt5s will be getting RT55s soon (thanks Sid) so then all I need is a center and power but in a room so small I wouldn't need much power) so any HT considerations would be helpful.

If you can't tell, I'm really physched about this and any reccomendations are really appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
Post edited by ledhed on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    Options
    A small room like that can benifit greatly by adding some corner bass traps.They are easy and cheap to DIY.Also the windows should have some thick curtains to reduce the inevitable early hi frequency reflections that will mess up stereo imaging.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Have you thought of a keg machine?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote:
    Have you thought of a keg machine?
    I don't drink so no... and I'm 18...

Though a minifridge stocked with Arnold Palmer may be in order :D
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Hmm, lucky feller. Hang a rug on the back wall where the couch, I'm guessing, will be. Ceiling mounts for rear surrounds. Make sure you run the wires before you lay the carpet... found that out the hard way ;)

Who cares if your 18? It only matters if you *look* 21 or not. ;)
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Refefer wrote:
    Hmm, lucky feller. Hang a rug on the back wall where the couch, I'm guessing, will be. Ceiling mounts for rear surrounds. Make sure you run the wires before you lay the carpet... found that out the hard way ;)

Who cares if your 18? It only matters if you *look* 21 or not. ;)

Instead of a rug I will probably put a dampening panel to do a better job.

And really, I don't drink and it's my parent's property...
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I had a few more ideas: I'll add a 32" CRT TV, run ethernet for internet and pick up a SqeezeBox (if only I had money for a transporter...) for Pandora and access to my digital files. Wow, I'm really getting excited over this!
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Where in TN are you at?
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Where in TN are you at?
    Nashville for college but i live in Athens. It's a small city in east TN halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville.

Edit: My 666th post!! Creepy! And btw, do you mean Clarksville instead of Clakrsville? :p
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2007
    Options
    yep, I do. Tard moment.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited February 2007
    Options
    It might work better with the gear on the 10' wall. If you put it on the 12' wall you'll end up too close by the time you figure that you'll have to pull the speakers out from the wall a good bit and the TV would be a ways out then your seating would put you at least a foot forward also. I had the same dilemna in a 11x13 room. The larger wall gives you more room to spread your gear but it also gets you too close.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote:
    It might work better with the gear on the 10' wall. If you put it on the 12' wall you'll end up too close by the time you figure that you'll have to pull the speakers out from the wall a good bit and the TV would be a ways out then your seating would put you at least a foot forward also. I had the same dilemna in a 11x13 room. The larger wall gives you more room to spread your gear but it also gets you too close.

Hmmm.. didn't think of that. Though the 12' is the only one without a window and the free 10' has a large window. Oh well... Where theres a will, theres a way :D