7s & 5s

Options
Ron Temple
Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
edited February 2007 in Vintage Speakers
There are a couple of local CL offerings that I'm looking at...

Monitor 7s - supposedly great shape @ $175

Monitor 5s - good shape @ $90

I'm thinking of snagging one or both for my sons. The 5s should be a no brainer unless the guys lying about them, but what about the 7s...not a super deal, but fair?

What d'ya think.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
PB13Ultra RO
BW Silvers
Oppo BDP-83SE
Post edited by Ron Temple on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2007
    Options
    ouch... I paid $175 for my SDA2's...

I'd pass on those 7's, but I've never heard the 7's... I guess they're supposed to be the greatest vintage speaker polk ever made or something like that.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,210
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Really depends on which version of the 7s they are. Early ones with the black Peerless domes might be worth that much if they are in great shape. Later ones with the silver coil tweets would probably need the silk dome upgrade to really sound good, so add $100 for that and decide.

Nadams, $175 for SDA2 is not a normal price, that's in steal territory.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I've had the 5's, 7's, and 10's. The 7's are pretty sweet, however I think they are about $40 too high for a pair in even mint condition. Overall though even at $175 you're going to be hard-pressed to find a better monitor at that price point. I paid $200 for an absolutely mint set of 10's, and I mean just like they came off the showroom floor, and then upgraded the tweeters to the RDO's. Still overall not a lot of money, and they aren't going anywhere :)
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    edited February 2007
    Options
    The last few 7's on eBay have gone for around $100/pr. The last couple I saw were 7Cs with the silver coil tweet. You'd probably pay another $40-50 for shipping.

I paid $70 for a local pair of 7Cs that are in decent condition (drivers are perfect, some cabinet scratches/dings).

Personally, I think they are worth $175 based on their sound quality, but $175 is significantly higher than the market value I've seen recently.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I paid 120 for a pair of Peerless Sevens in original box, shipping was 30. Between 80 and 140 would be market depending on version and shape.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Whatever you do, grab the 5's. Incredible pair of "monitors" IMO, Especially at that price.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • MikeyRocks
    MikeyRocks Posts: 1
    edited February 2007
    Options
    HI all,
    I recently received (through family) a set of 7B's. I believe the tweeters have black domes. On whether they have "silver coils" is it a simple matter of black vs. silver, or do I have to look inside to tell which I have? I am already replacing one of the mid-range drivers - otherwise these guys sound real nice!
    Thanks for the help!!
    Mike
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited February 2007
    Options
    MikeyRocks wrote:
    HI all,
    I recently received (through family) a set of 7B's. I believe the tweeters have black domes. On whether they have "silver coils" is it a simple matter of black vs. silver, or do I have to look inside to tell which I have? I am already replacing one of the mid-range drivers - otherwise these guys sound real nice!
    Thanks for the help!!
    Mike

Sounds like you have the much desired peerless tweets. Pics would help us determine for sure. The silver coil dome (sl2000) is opaque in color. Do the speakers have external fuses on the back? DO you black domes have a tiny pin hole in the center?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    Options
  • specialidiot
    specialidiot Posts: 44
    edited February 2007
    Options
    nadams wrote:
    I'd pass on those 7's, but I've never heard the 7's... I guess they're supposed to be the greatest vintage speaker polk ever made or something like that.

I've had my 7b's since they were new - while $100 or so may be the going rate, there is no way I'd sell mine for twice the price. They are simply too sweet sounding to part with.
    Kitchen: NAD 7220PE, Polk Mini-Monitor
    Home Office:Bottlehead S.E.X, Fostex FE127E in custom enclosures, Grado SR80
    Polks: 7B, Mini Monitor
    Mancave: Yamaha B-2, C-2a, CD-2, T-1, Bottlehead FP3, Thorens TD165c
    Project:KLH 17 Rebuild
    Ruined by DHL: Ming Da MC84-b (modded)
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I have only had a pair of Monitor 5's for @ 2 weeks. They sound so good that I could get rid of my RTi10's. So far everyone that has heard them can not believe the amount of sound that comes out of those little speakers.

In my current set up, I don't even feel that I need a sub to help them out.
    I have had to check my sub to make sure it was off because I could not believe how much bass the 5's were producing. Another time I had to get up to check my center speaker because it sounded as if the vocals were coming out of the center channel.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I have only had a pair of Monitor 5's for @ 2 weeks. They sound so good that I could get rid of my RTi10's. So far everyone that has heard them can not believe the amount of sound that comes out of those little speakers.

Back in 1985 when I bought mine, from the local hi-end hi-fi shop, I worked in the electronics dept. for a regional discount retailer. Before BB and CC were staples in most mid sized cities. I used to take the 5B's into work and set them among the other speakers we sold. The typical el cheapo Technics, Pioneer, Kenwood, BIC, etc. We also sold Advent and the mid line JBL's which for the day were definitely better than the others. I'd watch peoples reaction to just the 5B's playing and they were always amazed at the sound. I sold a lot of Polks for the other retailer and that enthusiam is what finally landed me a job at the hi-end place.

I jokingly call them "the little speaker that could............" Sold them long ago and now

I get mine today from dkg999 and I can't wait to revisit them!!:D

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Enjoy them.

I wish they were real wood.

I might make it a project to buy another pair of 5's or even 7's and build real wood cabinets.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Ron Temple
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Well, I got busy and I had to pass on both, though the seller was going to come down to $125 on the 7s. Looks like theirs another pair and some RTA12s from another guy. No rush...I'll get a listen eventually.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Which speaker is you favorite out of the vintage Monitor series?
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited February 2007
    Options
    monitor 7's with peerless
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • bchivers
    bchivers Posts: 29
    edited February 2007
    Options
    \\\\
    Marantz SR5400
    Denon 1920 DVD
    Magnepan MC 12/QR
    Polk RM 1000
    Polk PSW 404
    Homemade speaker wires and interconnects.
  • Ron Temple
    edited February 2007
    Options
    bchivers wrote:
    \\\\
    Well, everybody thinks...what an a**hole...a bunch...

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE