wodom1 Posts: 1,054
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
I had the following email in my inbox today:

"From:Mike Johnson
RUE 25 MACCORY
ABIDJAN-COTE D'IVOIRE.
WEST AFRICA

Dear,

My name is Mike Johnson from Sierra Leonian. I am 20 years old and a student. Please I would like you to assist me as urgent as you can,before they kill me.My father is a wealthy cocoa merchant.Trouble began early last two year when my father's associates began suspecting that my father is not givingn proper accounts of all the tonnes of cocoa being cultivated by local farmersn in some villages.

This mistrust deepens between Oct-Sept, 2005 when they discovered avery large some of money my father deposited with a Bank here in ABIDJAN-COTE D'IVOIRE (FORMALLY IVORY COAST in West Africa. As a result of this discovery and the envy on the money he was
poisioned by his associates.At his hospital bed ,he revealed to me the reasons of his sickness and directed me where to get the documents of the said deposit which he made on my name as the next of kin,being the only child.
He dvised me that in case he die, that I should not stay in this country Sierre Leone because his associates will equally kill me hence my mother had died five years ago of breast cancer.

He also instructed that if he dies, I should look for a foreign partner who will help me to transfer the money out of this place (Abidjan Cote d'Ivoire), to his account and the person will help me to invest the money in that country. Based on this, I had to contact you bearing in mind that you will be humane enough to protect my life. My father finally died on the 5th of june,2006 and since then, I was out of school and went into hiding because of my father's asociates. All
the relevant documents of the $8.000,000.(Eight Million United States Dollars) that was deposited in a Commercial Bank by my late father, are with me now.

I will give you 15% of the total money, if you can help me transferring it into your Account, for onward investment in your country. Please contact me immediately with the above E-mail address and include your telephone and Fax numbers to enable me send you all necessar documents asregards the money before they kill me. It is a risk free transaction.

I'm waiting for your urgent reply.
Best regards.sincerely,
Mike Johnson"

Any ideas for fu%^ing with this guy or should I just ignore it and move on? I'm tired of getting these damn messages.
"I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
Polk Audio LSiC
Polk Audio FXi30
Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
Sony Playstation 3
Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
Rotel 985 MK II
Rotel 1072 CDP
Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
Post edited by wodom1 on

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,705
    edited February 2007
    Don't bother. If you reply, you will just end up getting more spam in your inbox. Delete and ignore, or report it as spam (if you have spam blockers). The more you "train" your filters, the better the get at keeping this kind of crap from reaching you.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    billbillw wrote:
    Don't bother. If you reply, you will just end up getting more spam in your inbox. Delete and ignore, or report it as spam (if you have spam blockers). The more you "train" your filters, the better the get at keeping this kind of crap from reaching you.

Bill beat me to it. Never let a spammer know that your email is read. If you think spam is bad now, wait until your respond to it.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2007
    I saw something about a scam like this on one of the Sunday night news programs. Family believed it and gave like $12,000 to inherit some money that didn't exist.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited February 2007
    billbillw wrote:

But he might die...:D

Wow, spammers are getting pretty creative now. This has to be their lowest of lows...
    AndyGwis wrote:
    I saw something about a scam like this on one of the Sunday night news programs. Family believed it and gave like $12,000 to inherit some money that didn't exist.

This is the reason why there will always be spam/scams, cause some complete retards always fall for it...
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Bill beat me to it. Never let a spammer know that your email is read. If you think spam is bad now, wait until your respond to it.

That's what gmail is for.
  • G-2
    G-2 Posts: 533
    edited February 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    +1000 don't even look at that just delete it
    Home Theater
    Chane
    A3rx-c's, A2rc-c, A1rx-c's|Miller & Kreisel V-125's|Sony XBR65X810C 65" 4K LED TV|
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande-5|Pioneer Elite - VSX-84TXSi-AVR|TRIPPLITE LCR2400|
    Ultrasonic Amp Stand|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|

2 - Channel
    Polk
    RTA 12c's w/RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills resistors (full mod)|Turntable|
    Anthem MCA 2|Acurus Act 3 Pre Pro|Parasound P/Ph 100|Pioneer Elite N-30|Adcom GDA600|
    Premier Rack|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2007
    This is from an old hotmail account that I hardly ever use. I checked it for the first time in weeks and saw that this came in today, so I'm not too worried about getting more junk for this account. My gmail account stays pretty clean.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2007
    I've seen blogs about how to do it, I don't know any specific sites, but I'll bet if you did a search. you'd find one.

Once they think they have you, they're pretty persistent.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    OMG they are going to kill Mike Johnson, those ****!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    This is the best site:
    http://www.419eater.com/

Love the trophy room
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    This is the best site:
    http://www.419eater.com/

Love the trophy room
    I was just about to mention the same site! Well, there you go... great site if you want a laugh.

Kinda sad when Nigeria's greatest form of income is fraud.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited February 2007
    do what I do shoot him an e-mail asking what info he needs if it looks funny, like he wants you bank account, or routing number then send both e-mails to phishing-report@us-cert.gov.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2007
    That email is a pretty common story, scam or phishing attempt. At work we get about a hundred or two of those a day with the rest being fake stock tips, loose this, grow that etc...

You can track it back by looking at the route it took in the email header, but there's not a lot you can do to keep them from sending you more. Could screw with their server but it's just simply too much work to make it worthwhile. It could even be coming from a remote machine that doesn't even know it's sending them out (or a long chained proxy).
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited February 2007
    Nigeria is the internet scam capital of the world. If you reply to this, you will see that all he needs is a "small" amount of money wired to him to complete the transaction, or a "few" dollars to get from there to here so he can split the money with you. BS They also have classes here in the US that teach Nigerian men how to 'use' African American women to get what they want ie citizenship thru marriage, etc. A sad state of affairs.:mad:
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    wodom1 wrote:
    This is from an old hotmail account that I hardly ever use. I checked it for the first time in weeks and saw that this came in today, so I'm not too worried about getting more junk for this account. My gmail account stays pretty clean.

Tell the unlucky man that you'll be glad to help. He needs only send $5,000 for you to open a new account to handle the transfer. As soon as the account is established you'll contact him with wonderful news. This is the way it must be done because of Religious reasons.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited February 2007
    Sign his email acct. up for every e-newsletter you can find.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2007
    It's not like that email account gets read so spamming him back wouldn't help any unless you managed to spam him enough to use his bandwidth and either help him reach his limit (if any) or slow down the server throwing out the spam in the first place. It depends on the mail server but it'll take at least a few thousand emails a day to do much of anything.