XM Sold to Sirius in $4.6 Billion Stock Deal

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Sirius to buy XM in $4.6 billion stock deal
Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:34 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sirius Satellite Radio agreed to buy larger U.S. rival XM Satellite Radio for $4.6 billion in stock on Monday in a deal that gives all subscribers access to entertainers such as Oprah Winfrey and shock-jock Howard Stern.

The transaction, which faces regulatory scrutiny and objections from terrestrial radio companies, gives XM shareholders 4.6 Sirius shares for each XM share held.

The deal has Sirius paying about $4.6 billion in stock for XM, or a 21.7 percent premium to XM's closing share price of $13.98 on Friday, based on shares outstanding in the latest regulatory filings.

Veteran media executive Mel Karmazin, currently Sirius CEO, will lead the new company as CEO, while Gary Parsons, now chairman of XM, will hold the same position in the new company. It said Hugh Panero, XM CEO, will continue in his current role until the merger closes.

The merger would create a company with about $1.5 billion in 2006 revenue and an enterprise value of $13 billion, including $1.6 billion in net debt.

"This combination is the next logical step in the evolution of audio entertainment," said Karmazin in a statement. He said it will create "unprecedented choice for consumers."

The deal will face tough regulatory scrutiny. The satellite radio licenses prevent one entity from owning them, however Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin said last month that its rules are open to change.

"I think it's a close call, but more likely than not I think the Justice Department and the FCC approve it," said Blair Levin, an analyst at Stifel Nicolaus & Co. and a former FCC chief of staff during the Clinton administration.

The National Association of Broadcasters, which represents local broadcast radio stations, immediately criticized the tie-up because it would concentrate the licenses into one company and accused them of seeking a government bailout.

"When the FCC authorized satellite radio, it specifically found that the public would be served best by two competitive nationwide systems," said NAB spokesman Dennis Wharton.

"Now, with their stock prices at rock bottom and their business model in disarray because of profligate spending practices, they seek a government bailout to avoid competing in the marketplace," he said.

(additional reporting by Jeremy Pelofsky)

Link
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited February 2007
    Stern and Winfrey? Gag.
    So now my XM price will shoot up $5 a month to support this crap?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    sucks2beme wrote:
    Stern and Winfrey? Gag.
    So now my XM price will shoot up $5 a month to support this crap?

If you continue to use the service....
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    Been calling it for well over 2 months now. Definately glad I didn't jump the gun and pick one or the other.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2007
    I paid for a year of XM service that is up in June. I wonder how they will handle station programming that obviously overlaps as well as people with XM receivers picking up the Sirius signal (and vice versa).

Both sets of programming in one package, I like it!

This is very good for Polk as it opens up a much larger customer base to sell their home Receiver.
    No excuses!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    ...waiting for the price increase now...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    Generally a monopoly means higher prices. The implications are a lot deeper than just a larger audience. In order to maintain the audience you need to keep the costs low enough to offset the temptation to move to more appealing avenues of entertainment.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2007
    Strong Bad wrote:
    I wonder how they will handle station programming that obviously overlaps as well as people with XM receivers picking up the Sirius signal (and vice versa).

Nothing changes unless you purchase a new dual band receiver that will become available with both sets of programming. My guess is subs will run probably $20/mth.

No way they let you have both with no increased $$$.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    Satellite is for chumps. Internet Radio is where it's at.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    I wonder if the channel quality will go down as they add channels to their line up?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited February 2007
    Do what I do and don't subscribe to either! lol
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    It's not REALLY a monopoly. Their argument is that they don't as much compete with each other as with terrestrial radio, iPods, etc, and they're mostly right. Satellite radio is marginally popular, but not NEARLY popular enough to raise prices and expect to continue to grow. I don't do satellite radio because it never seemed worth the monthly cost to me. They could raise their prices to whatever they want, doesn't affect me.

I don't see why you'd need a dual-band receiver to receive both of their station sets - if they WANTED to merge them, they could just broadcast all stations on both bands. In theory. Nothing says they're going to do that.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited February 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:

And I get internet radio in my car how?
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    polksda wrote:

Lots of LAN cable or Wi-Fi if you keep it parked in your driveway ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Lots of LAN cable or Wi-Fi if you keep it parked in your driveway ;)

Good point... would save a lot in gas costs too. ;)
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    Dear XM Radio Subscriber:

We want to share with you some exciting news: Yesterday, in Washington DC, we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service.

The merger will create a satellite radio company that will provide consumers across the country with more and better premium radio programming. The combined company will be able to compete better in what has become a very complex and dynamic entertainment market.

Where today our exclusive contracts mean you had to choose between baseball and football or Oprah and Martha Stewart, the new company will seek to ensure that in the future, you will be able to access both companies' programming. And, once we are fully integrated, those of you who have factory-installed satellite radio will no longer be limited to the programming provided by the exclusive satellite radio service chosen by their car manufacturer.

This merger should be completed in late 2007 or early in 2008. Throughout the year, we will provide updates on how the merger is progressing and information will be available at our website, www.xmradio.com.

Between today and the merger date, as well as during the period immediately after the merger date, all of your services will remain the same. The channel lineup, the customer service number, the great music technology, and the XM Radio web site will all remain unchanged and there will be no disruption to service. But, if you have questions, information will be available and maintained on our website, and you can contact our Listener Care team at 800-XMRADIO, with questions and concerns.

XM Radio continues to be committed to providing you the highest quality audio entertainment and customer service available today. After the merger, our new company will be able to offer you the most exciting listening experience in radio.

Sincerely,

Hugh Panero
    CEO, XM Satellite Radio

-Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

An excerpt from Yahoo News:

...The deal faces substantial obstacles in Washington, including a
    Federal Communications Commission provision that specifically forbids the two companies to combine.

Analysts have noted that the FCC could change the rule, but in a statement late Monday FCC Chairman Kevin Martin said that the "hurdle" would be "high" to prove that the deal would be in the public interest.

"The companies would need to demonstrate that consumers would clearly be better off with both more choice and affordable prices," Martin said.

A combination would also have to meet antitrust approval from the
    Department of Justice. The companies are expected to argue that they compete not only with each other but also with traditional radio and a growing base of digital audio sources such as iPods, mobile phones and non-satellite digital radio....

Which basically means that the government can still block this and judging by past performances of similar services when Dish TV and DirecTV tried to merge a few years ago, this ain't gonna happen.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2007
    I just don't undersatnd how you could possibly lump this in with antitrust. Satellite radio does not define the marketplace. And from the state of both company's finances, if this deal doesn't go through, in the next couple of years the consumer won't have any choice because neither company will exist, because they're going bankrupt.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    I agree, but the cord kept getting pulled out of the wall as I backed my car out of the garage. (guess I need a longer cord - maybe a spool of cat-5 connected to my trunk....)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I just don't undersatnd how you could possibly lump this in with antitrust. Satellite radio does not define the marketplace. And from the state of both company's finances, if this deal doesn't go through, in the next couple of years the consumer won't have any choice because neither company will exist, because they're going bankrupt.

Satellite TV was in the same boat a few years ago and the government still blocked the merger but both are still around. Are they thriving? I don't know. But everyone I know who has satellite radio loves it and there are a ton of subscribers who subscribe for Howard Stern alone. As long as Stern is there, I don't see Sirius going anywhere. I see the service going to ads to increase revenue just like cable did but I don't think they are going anywhere, merged or not.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    It is a monopoly, but I appreciate the semantics.

The biggest competition to satellite radio isn't one another, it's simply people not buying satellite service period.

There isn't a reason for government to break up the merger of 2 failing companies.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2007
    If I spent more time driving. I'd have satellite radio, my commute is 20 mins each way, and I can't justify the sub fees for that. I expect most people are in the same situation, and since I already get 50 some XM channels at home through DirecTV, so as far home goes I won't bother.

I don't see the format ever doing much more than it is now.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    XM raised prices once already, they go up again and I'll cancel. just that simple.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2007
    polksda wrote:

Think outside the box man! Buy a decent laptop for about $600-$700, then get a wireless aircard with service from Cingular, Sprint or Verizon and connect to the internet that way. Sit the laptop on your passenger seat and rock on!

It'll cost a shitload more money a month, but atleast you won't be a chump!
    No excuses!
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    Strong Bad wrote:
    Think outside the box man! Buy a decent laptop for about $600-$700, then get a wireless aircard with service from Cingular, Sprint or Verizon and connect to the internet that way. Sit the laptop on your passenger seat and rock on!

It'll cost a shitload more money a month, but atleast you won't be a chump!

Where do you think that signal comes from? :p

Although, you're onto something with the comment. It'll be the phone and cable companies that will be offering all access instant download content in cars. XM and Sirius have completely cornered themselves into radio broadcasts.
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2007
    Jstas wrote:
    there are a ton of subscribers who subscribe for Howard Stern alone

People with that low an IQ deserve to be screwed out of their money.
    Jstas wrote:
    As long as Stern is there, I don't see Sirius going anywhere.

While it's true that Stern brings in numbers for them (or brought in, at least), I don't see how you can make that statement. They brought Stern in, what, two years ago? He may be keeping existing fans, but he's definitley not dragging any new ones in. In those two years, Sirius has still yet to turn a profit. So how long can they survive if their numbers continue like they are? Stern has been successful for them compared with NOT having him, but that doesn't mean they're not in the red.
    Demiurge wrote:
    It is a monopoly, but I appreciate the semantics.

The biggest competition to satellite radio isn't one another, it's simply people not buying satellite service period.

While I suppose for the technical definition of a monopoly, it is a monopoly, in the SPIRIT of monopoly laws, it isn't one. Yes, it is one company that completely controls a certain market. But it isn't a competitive market, and having one company control it doesn't necessarily hurt the consumer in that it's a completely reasonable alternative to just not purchase the service.

The only time Monopoly laws should really come into play is if a company has created a market that is essentially a necessity, and people do not have any other options. Back when the Bells were broken up, the only way to get phone service was through a local phone company (pre-cell phone, internet phone, etc). One company controlled that necessary service, and was therefore a monopoly. THey could have charged exorbitant prices and people would have been forced to pay, because there was no alternative.

I think as long as you can prove that if the "monopoly" in question were to raise prices, people would just not pay said company and not be put through any particular hardship because of it, the government should not be able to intervene.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    http://radio.about.com/library/weekly/aa073003a.htm

There's something else that I've seen before that I can't find now but the source for the streaming internet is definitely by way of the cell companies, but the avg data rate per month is about $70.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • G-2
    G-2 Posts: 533
    edited February 2007
    No offense to anyone using Sat R, but can't you load an iPod with all YOUR favorites and listen to it for free, I'd imagine that most of us have large library's (we have over 2K cd's). Just some food for thought...
    Home Theater
    Chane
    A3rx-c's, A2rc-c, A1rx-c's|Miller & Kreisel V-125's|Sony XBR65X810C 65" 4K LED TV|
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande-5|Pioneer Elite - VSX-84TXSi-AVR|TRIPPLITE LCR2400|
    Ultrasonic Amp Stand|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|

2 - Channel
    Polk
    RTA 12c's w/RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills resistors (full mod)|Turntable|
    Anthem MCA 2|Acurus Act 3 Pre Pro|Parasound P/Ph 100|Pioneer Elite N-30|Adcom GDA600|
    Premier Rack|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|