Need wedding gift ideas, please

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
A coworker of mine is getting hitched next month.. and I really need some wedding gift ideas. Of those of you that are married or anyone who has attended many weddings.. what were really cool or useful gifts you've gotten or did you see the couple receive as gifts?

The couple is mid 20's, first marriage for both of them... he is a farmer and she currently is a journalist. Once they are married... she will quit her current job and join him working the farmland.

hope this will help generate some ideas.. because I'm stumped right now.

my budget is $150 tops.

tanks
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    Are they registered anywhere??

I always find cash is the best, they will be dead broke after the wedding anyway. Grab a card and write a check for $150, I guarantee you that they will be happy with that. Plus, you don't have to do any work, just drop it off in the card basket at the wedding, done.

Mike
  • danger boy
    edited February 2007
    Yes Macy's and Linen's and Things... that is my back up in case I can't come up with something. :)
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    danger boy wrote:
    Yes Macy's and Linen's and Things... that is my back up in case I can't come up with something. :)

If you're looking to buy a gift, something from them two places will be your best bet. Trust me... I remember when I got married how much time the Wife spent looking for things to register for. To make it short... Those items they registered for, are the items they really want. You're making things difficult, just pick one...

Mike
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited February 2007
    The most handy thing we got was similar to this foldable step stool. I'm still using it after 20 years; forget the blenders and juicers.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    Chances are they'll get a bunch of gifts, so if you don't get them something on their registry just give them cash. I'm all about being creative, but from my friends who were recently married, you get so overwhelmed with repeat gifts and whatnot that it gets frustrating.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    Write a check!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    Pocket ****?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    I have to agree with MikeC on this one. The things they registered for are the things they/she wants. Especially if they have both been on their own and have to integrate two houses into one (dishes, towels, furniture, etc.).

I would say cash first - registry second. I am sure they will be thankful for any gift you choose to give them, but keep in mind - no one returns cash.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Pocket ****?

yay.gif
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    A gift certificate to a nice restaurant to where they will be honeymooning. That was our favorite gift.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,705
    edited February 2007
    Couples take the time to register for a reason. That's the stuff they need or want. Get something off the registry (and make sure they scan the registry as you checkout), or give straight money.

My wife and I had to spend a rediculous amount of time returning/exchanging stuff that that we had no use for or didn't like. What a pain! Some stuff, we couldn't exchange because we didn't know what store it came from and/or it was discontinued.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited February 2007
    I've been to tons of weddings - probably around 200 - and I'd agree w/those who advise getting them what they've registered & therefore asked for. It might not be exciting for you, but if they've asked for it....

If I didn't want to go the registry route, I'd definitely give cash. Can't beat it!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    DB and American Express traveler's check in the amount of $150 is what I think would be most useful. After my first marraige what we needed most was cash after the wedding and honeymoon was cash. The gifts we received were ehhh. One gift we received was a top loading VHS VCR. . . which we both looked at and said, "what do you do with that thing???" Circa,1981.

My second was all cash. You can't go wrong with traveler's checks.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited February 2007
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    I would vote for cash.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    Awww.......all this talk about being given money is making me wanna go out and wed a chick.......:P
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • McLoki
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    Awww.......all this talk about being given money is making me wanna go out and wed a chick.......:P
    Trust me - it is cheaper in the long run to just let your friends keep their money.....
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    OK , I agree with the folding step thing we use ours all the damn time , cabinets all the way to celings are great for storage untill you cant get to them, a card with money is good. I like to give a gift that will be used ,Typically

Russ
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited February 2007
    Go with the money. We just spent 4 hours in Bed, Bath, and Beyond the other day picking out replacements for things we already have. Some of them we'll use, but most are things we convinced ourselves that we'll use. I think that tends to happen when both people who are getting married have lived on their own for a bit. That, and the fact we're pouring most of our money into the wedding, has me hoping most of our friends will be giving the gift that always fits, cash!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • danger boy
    edited February 2007
    I'm going to hit a couple of the stores they registered at today.. and see what's left on their list.. as you all have said.. cash talks. ;):D
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited February 2007
    Cash. Let them decide what to do with it.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 629
    edited February 2007
    If you like them give 'em cash or registry, and don't do something cheesy like see whats on the registry, then go out and buy a similar/same item somewhere else because you think you got a better price, etc. I had two people do it at my wedding last September, and I'm still stuck with a big assed cappucino maker. D:confused:
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited February 2007
    My wife and I made a kind of tradition of this; we take wedding announcement and find a really nice silver or gold frame and put it in it. You'd be surprised how many people rave about it for years after, and its always on display.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Pocket ****?
    PERFECT. I want everyone who attends my wedding to bring 2. :D
  • danger boy
    edited February 2007
    I checked the registry at Linens and Thangs.. and Macy's.. and there are quite a few gifts left to purchase.. so this weekend.. i'll go find their gift..

Money is a good idea.. but with about 200 guests attending.... I'm pretty sure they'll get some cold hard cash. :D
  • McLoki
    edited February 2007
    danger boy wrote:
    Money is a good idea.. but with about 200 guests attending.... I'm pretty sure they'll get some cold hard cash. :D
    When we were opening gifts from our wedding, I can remember thinking "I can't believe we got another set of towels - we will never use all of these" (suffice it to say, we have)

I do not ever remember thinking "damn, another fifty - we will never be able to use all this money, I wish more people would just get me a nice bath towel"

Michael