Nerd Question: FFT's in Excel

jdhdiggs
jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anyone got an easy way to calculate frequency and to graph frequency and amplitude in excel using FFT's?
There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
Post edited by jdhdiggs on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited February 2007
    Just use the graphing function. Make two columns... one with frequency and the other with the resulting amplitude. I'd say go for a line graph. I have a feeling I'm not answering this correctly :)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2007
    Nope, but nice try... The problem is that you just have a set of data points that you use the FFT to generate an ampltiude (after dealing with all the imaginary numbers of course) and then finding the frequency off of the graph. There has to be an easier way... That's the long way. I was hoping for something more generic and simple...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2007
    The frequencies are in essence the total number of rows divided by the row number ( or the row number / 2 ) ...

So if there are 1024 rows then row 1 is 1024 ( or 512 ) ... 2 is 512 ( or 256 ) ... etc ...
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited February 2007
    Is there such thing as a nerd question on a home audio forum?;)
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2007
    Long shot, but do you have/ use SAS?
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • jdhdiggs
    edited February 2007
    No, this is from down borehole density readings. It can be converted into a LAS file if that helps...