Replacement cellphone choices

apc
apc Posts: 779
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Verizon is carrier. Replacing LG flip. Have any of you had experience (good or bad) with:

LG VX8600
Motorola RAZR V3m
Motorola KRZR K1m
Nokia 6315i

Pros and cons appreciated.
Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
Post edited by apc on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    I have the RAZR V3m and have not had any problems with it. Alot of people do not like it but I have had no issues.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2007
    I used the RAZR and cannot stand talking on it - a very uncomfortable phone IMO.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited February 2007
    working in the cell phone industry I would advise you to go with motorola. despite the he say/she say about how bad the razr is... it is definately a nice phone and I am kicking myself everyday for buying something other than motorola. The KRZR is nice but only if you are going to use the added mp3 functions. The V3M actually has the capability for EVDO once companies start using that... while the KRZR (K1M) does not. EVDO is like broadband on your phone. I feel that the solidity of the two motorola products on your list are unmatched by the LG and Nokia. This is because they have great battery life and excellent reception, and the great thing is they don't look half bad while doing the two above things. Go with the motorola... after all contracts are long and often times the motorola phones will get you through with nearly no problems.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    I just got the LG VX8300`s for everybody at work to use as a company phone...

so far it`s a great phone..

I wish I could have got everybody Razors, but the GM wouldn`t go for it
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    I've had an 8300 for a long time and it's the best phone out there right now in terms of battery life and durability The Razor's are fragile and the EXCEPTION is a working one........

I'm waiting for this phone to hit the market before I upgrade......and I will DEFINITELY be all over it.....

shine3cg2.jpg

shinewf8.jpg
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    Not to contradict swerve's "expertise" in the industry, but... I know THREE separate people who got RAZRs. Two of them had their phone break within a month and had to be replaced, and the third just doesn't like it. I've yet to meet someone with a RAZR who's happy with their purchase.

I've had almost all Nokias in my cell phone career and never had one break on me. I've had zero complaints.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Not to contradict swerve's "expertise" in the industry, but... I know THREE separate people who got RAZRs. Two of them had their phone break within a month and had to be replaced, and the third just doesn't like it. I've yet to meet someone with a RAZR who's happy with their purchase.

I've had almost all Nokias in my cell phone career and never had one break on me. I've had zero complaints.
    Hi! The girlfriend and I both have razr's and have had no problems with them in a year. I like mine and the only complaint is the cheap plastic on the outside wears away and starts to look kinda cheap. I wish I could've got an aluminum one like Cingular has but thats ok. My phone works perfectly. The g/fs was perfect until 2 weeks ago when she left it in a pair of pants and they got washed...aka dead. Nokia's don't last worth a damn and never have. LG's are barely ahead of the Nokia's IMO. The only brand phones I'll own from here on out are Motorola and Samsung. Well... I might try to get me an unlocked iPhone if I can get a good enough deal. ;)
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2007
    It doesn't matter what phone you talk about, 50% of the users hate it. You'll have to use your own judgement and pick what's best for your needs.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2007
    What Mark said seems to be right. It's funny how polarizing the issue of cell phone brand / service is.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:

Damn I have to agree with Bob again
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2007
    The Nokia 2190 was the most bulletproof phone I've owned....and that was 10 years ago.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2007
    ben62670 wrote:
    Damn I have to agree with Bob again

Don't worry, the dirty feeling wears off after a little while.
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Don't worry, the dirty feeling wears off after a little while.

However, you will be on medication for the rest of your life.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    I have had no problems with my Razor except that I find it difficult to hear sometimes through the earpeice.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited February 2007
    as a testimony to how fragile the razrs are. here is MY razr..i have owned mine for two months...
    pict0016qr8.jpg

pict0020vl5.jpg

yes that is the metal frame showing on the front cover. the cover over the lcd is actually glass... that broke by me carying it in my pocket and i bumped into a counter. tried to replace once and it broke again so now ive given up
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited February 2007
    wow sorry , i didnt realize my pics were going to be so huge:(
  • noimposse
    noimposse Posts: 264
    edited February 2007
    Just got the LG vx8300 last week and so far it's been a pretty good phone. Seems alot more durable that the last two phones Ive had (LG, Motorola). Reception has been more than adequate and there are a ton of mods, especially since it has bluetooth.
    Ghetto Rig
    Power: HK AVR245.
    Screen: LG 24" 1080p.
    Speaks: Rti4.
    Source: PC. PS3. Xbox360.
    Cables: BlueJeans. Monoprice.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2007
    I have this one with Rogers up here just got it about 1 month ago and it's sweet. Sound is great, bat life is very good and the screen is amazing, is very user friendly aswell.

It's a Samsung SGH-D807
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited February 2007
    You want a reliable phone with good sound quality? If yes, Nokia is your only option. This RAZR (Flextronics phone IIRC) I have is the last Motorola I'll get, nothing but trouble and the UI is horrible. Nokia IMO has the best UI in the industry and they definately have the best TX's and RX's (not IMO).
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2007
    Willow wrote:
    I have this one with Rogers up here just got it about 1 month ago and it's sweet. Sound is great, bat life is very good and the screen is amazing, is very user friendly aswell.

It's a Samsung SGH-D807

Just bought that phone myself, Willow, love it so far. Some UI quirks I'm not a big fan of, but overall I'm enjoying it. I've always gone with Nokias but they really haven't put out anything good in America this year, so I figured I'd give Samsung a try.
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    I haven't had a Nokia since they started using color screens, and they were very functional and i liked them, but Nokia was always just a basic basic UI.......maybe that's changed over the years......
  • Sami
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    I haven't had a Nokia since they started using color screens, and they were very functional and i liked them, but Nokia was always just a basic basic UI.......maybe that's changed over the years......
    Hmmm, what phones have you used (non-Nokia)? I have always felt Nokia had the best GUI, followed by Ericson, Motorola last. Remember MicroTag vs. 101? The 101 actually had menus while with the MicroTag you had to use key shortcuts. :eek: Hmmm, do I still remember what it was, *52# for number at memory location 52. Anyways, that's ancient history when it comes to mobile phones but it has stayed relatively the same IMO.

Any Nokia GUI is better than the horrible V3 GUI which has no features to speak of. Multiple numbers per person? Forget about it. Search phonebook by "ab..."? No, only by first character, after that scroll down.

The current Symbian GUI's are decent. Not great but decent. I haven't seen a phone with great GUI yet. What makes me get a Nokia phone next is the TX/RX part though, the most important when you're talking about phones. I can't stand the poor SQ on the V3, and hate all those dropped calls and the system reboots.
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    After Nokia I spent a few years going **** crazy with Motorola and then ended up with LG's and have had those for probably the past 5 or so years.......By far the best phones I've used. The one thing I definitely miss from way back when I was using Nokia's was meing able to do the Menu 4, 2, or whatever for the settings, rather than have to scroll right/left and up/down.....

With Verizon though, I think just about all of their phones are on the same UI so it's not a phone specific issue with them. The LG8100 is the phone I had before the LG8300 that I'm now using and the biggest benefit is that the 8300 got slimmer and has better reception. It's still not so thin that it feels fragile and easily breakable.......
  • Sami
    edited February 2007
    I believe LG is getting into Symbian OS (basically Nokia OS) with their new phones, although I don't know for sure the latest news.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    every cell phone has pros and cons. I have a Razr for years.. I never really liked it.. but a friend talked me into it. He's not my friend anymore. :p;)

The screen on mine goes blank and I have to reboot it about at least once a week. The screen on my oldie is very dim. it is impossible to see the screen in daylight.

I like the size of it.. but now everyone and their mother has a razr of some kind. I know the current line of razr's seem to have added a MP3 player to them.. but for the most part, they havne't upgraded many of the capabilities or functions over mine.. and they cost more than mine did.

I am currently looking for a new phone. I agree with others.. I have had ok luck with Motorola's and Nokia's. Cinular doesn't exactly offer that many cool phones these days..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Sami
    edited February 2007
    danger boy wrote:
    The screen on mine goes blank and I have to reboot it about at least once a week.
    Same problem I and many of my co-workers have.
    danger boy wrote:
    I like the size of it..
    At first I did, until I realized the not-so-thin Nokia's are quite a lot smaller actually. It's the slim design that makes you think it's smaller than it is. Then you pick a low end Nokia and realize it's actually a much smaller phone.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2007
    maybe I'm crazy, but to me it seems like the track records for each phone manufacturer has to be looked at per carrier. Each carrier has their own standards and just because you get a good brand X phone with one carrier doesn't mean that that brand will be as good with a different carrier with different phone standards/technology.
    Also, when people start complaining about reception/sound quality issues, its very hard to filter out network problems and just place blame solely on the phone.
    Oh and the whole OS thing is probably moot since Verizon sticks the same OS in almost all their phones, regardless of manufacturer.

apc- what lg flip are you replacing? did it break? just feel like upgrading?
    I've had Verizon for years and have had the best luck with LG's. I haven't had a Moto since the Startac. I tried the first Samsung music flip phone w/intenna a couple years ago and it was horrible for call quality (two-way radio). So I returned it and went back with LG. I currently have an 8100 that is almost 2 years old and works like new. My wife's 8300 is just as solid. I never notice paint/plastic wearing away. Nothing ever seems to break even with the occasional drop on the floor.

Just try the one you like. You get 15 days to return it for any reason.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    Motorola's customer service ranks among the worst I have encountered in the consumer electronics world. They would not fix a 3 month old Razr that was still under waranty where some of the keys would not work. It was bought from an authorized seller. I sent it in and it was returned to me claiming "liquid damage" which did not occur. After 5 or 6 non-english speaking customer service representatives later I recieved a authorization to send the phone back to have it rechecked. It was returned to me as now "out of warranty" and I could return with a check for $100 to have it attempted to be fixed (no guarantee). It only took 3 or 4 non-english speaking customer service reps before it was sent back again with the acknowledgement that the orgininal service occured during the warranty period. Of course it was returned again with "unrepairable liquid damage". I have purchased 9 Motorola phones over the last few years for my family. I will NEVER purchase another.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Sami
    edited February 2007
    PhantomOG wrote:
    Also, when people start complaining about reception/sound quality issues, its very hard to filter out network problems and just place blame solely on the phone.
    I have always compared using the same SIM so network has not played any part. The same thing with both T-Mobile and Cingular, Motorola just has very weak audio. Cheap parts on the loudspeaker or bad RX design? I don't know and I don't care, I won't pick Motorola anymore. In fact I need to send an e-mail to get a replacement for this V3 as I can't live with it anymore, too many people calling me and telling me they have been trying to call me numerous times only to get answering machine when I know I have been on coverage. Still part of it could be network issue but judging by my previous experiences it's most likely the phone.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    My Noika "candybar" phones are like the Energizer® Bunny. They just keep going and going and going. No bells and whistles, no camera, no mp3... A phone with storage for a couple hundred #s. It's all I need.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson