New music? Lastfm

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
If you guys are serious about getting into new music, check out Lastfm.

Lastfm Website

It's a free website with an applet that essentially plays music in the genre you request, and then you can say love or ban as the song is playing. If it's banned, it stops the track and moves on to the next one. As you go on it slowly hones in on your core tastes. It will introduce you to bands who have songs similar to the ones you say you love.

Hope some of you check it out. There's no cost involved, and it will undoubtably get you in to some new stuff without having to say "Damn, I liked that song, but I don't remember who performs it." It'll be on your list.
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2007
    I haven't used it but it sounds similar to http://www.pandora.com/ which actually takes different songs or artists you choose and breaks it down into the actual components and fins music that is similar not necessarily in the genre but similar in how the music is composed. Very Cool

Now to check out LastFm
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I have heard of that as well. As far as I know this is the first of it's kind, but does things similar to pandora.
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    I just used LastFm but I like pandora better. It does pretty much the same thing - organizes everything you say you like and don't like and plays music accordingly. I just like Pandora better because I'm used to it probably.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Wow, that's pretty cool. I'm going to start using both of them, as I've never used either one.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Wow. I'm already in love with Pandora! For some I tried it first and...whao! It's dead on! It's already played a few of my favorite songs, and is now playing Eric Clapton's Let it Rain.

Thanks for starting this thread and then mentioning Pandora, too! This is a great find! I just hate I haven't tried it sooner!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Very cool Demi, thanks.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    Been using pandora for along time and love it. Will have to check it out. Thanks Demi
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    I was messing around with Pandora, embedded the direct flash player link into an HTML file and then embedded that into my desktop so now, I always have pandora open but not in a separate window!

desktop%20with%20pandora.jpg

I'm not sure if lastfm uses a flash based player but I'm sure the same thing can be done. This makes it very handy to use and I can't accidentally close it.