bets buy "car audio associate"

vawakemonster
vawakemonster Posts: 131
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
today I was in best buy looking at HU's just to see if they had any with time alignment to test it out becasue my brother wanted to buy a video and I drove him.

I asked about it becasue they didt no have any specs posted and the sales "associate" asked whats that when the clock changes when you change timezones? and then after explaining it he was like oh yea this one but the pioneers all do it poorly it just gives it an echo.(I think he was using to much of a time difference)

then I started talking about polks to a different car audio dude that ahd db serries stuff in his blazer. then associate one interupts and says "I think polk makes overpriced crap, thats why you can find them on all the cheap car audio websites". WTF? did I ask?

He then preceeds to tell me my meezley 300 wats in my pickup aint **** to the 2 hifonics 3200 watt subs hes putitng in with an amp for each, and he ordered to more to make a total of 4 subs and 4 amps totaling to 12800 watts!!!

I asked what he had done about a new alternator or battery? he said it would be fine he didnt need one. then I asked what about speakers he said I still have the stock ones in my truck. I said didnt he think that he should equal out the speakers to to make it so the system was balanced before he bought more subs? and he said no. then proceeded to tell me how his system was gona "thump":rolleyes:

I was just shocked by this guy who was hired to "sell" car equipment! See if I EVER go into best buy for any car audio again.:eek:

sorry for the long post.
Dodge Dakota
HU: Pioneer
Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
Subwoofer: polk mm2104
Post edited by vawakemonster on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    i like going to best buy and hearing them talk to people, it can be quite entertaining
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    i like going to best buy and hearing them talk to people, it can be quite entertaining
    -Cody

I love it when they've got a sale all set up and wander off to get something for the customer and I have a chance to step in and destroy the guys sales pitch and get the customer to pick up something else instead... then if the salesman tries to argue with me I can normally shut them down pretty quick :D
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    You guys hang out at Best Buy? Dorks.:D
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    i thought thats where all the cool ppl hung out? Right next to the geek squad...is that not right?
    -Cody
  • vawakemonster
    edited February 2007
    the geek squad that chages you 80 dollars to open a computer case clip in ram and re-screw the case togather a 15 minute job:rolleyes: I Hate best buy, I;'ve only met one knowledgeable car audio ****ociate there. atleast unlike curcuit city they gie you the time of day and can tell you the difference between a 5x7 and a 6x8;)
    Dodge Dakota
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    atleast unlike curcuit city they gie you the time of day and can tell you the difference between a 5x7 and a 6x8;)

Hey now, I used to work at CC and the guys at mine when I worked there knew more than most of the BB guys in my town...

And anyway polkthug, I don't hang out there I just stop by the car audio department from time to time when i'm getting a game or browsing the HDTV's :p
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    I aint gonna lie...I hang out at both..!!

They call it stocking, but hey....

samantics..sheesh !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    stocking = employee working the back room

stalking = an unhealthy interest in the activities of someone else

Which exactly were you claiming Robert?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2007
    I can't deny going in once or twice to harass a young clueless "salesman." Calling those uneducated toolbags salesmen is like calling drug dealers pharmacists.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • hrdhtdvr
    hrdhtdvr Posts: 103
    edited February 2007
    To heck with both of those places! I will buy all my stuff from Crutchfield and if I can't put the stuff in myself, I will pay my local shop to put it in. I can't see paying them hundreds of dollars on a amp, sub, hu, and everything else, then have them say "that will be $$ to install it. "Hey man, I just pumped $$$$ into your freaking store, and you won't install for free? Kiss my BUTT!!!!" Not to mention that they didn't carry the Polk products that I wanted.
    Alpine 9855 hu
    Polk/Momo MMC 460 (Rear)
    Polk/Momo MMC 6500 (Front)
    Polk/Momo MM 2104 Sub
    Amp: JL 500/5
    Wires: Street Wires
    Sat Radio: Sirius PNP
    Mitsubishi HS-U577
    Toshiba -SD1700 DVD player
    Klipsch Speakers
    Center: RC-7
    L&R:KLF-20
    Surrounds:RS-3
    Sub: KSW-15
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited February 2007
    this thread is for the dogs...sorry but seriously. everyone knows what to expect when they go into these fine retail establishments.
    I used to work at CC as a car audio associate and prided myself for helping others make the right decisions. If you are smart... you are not sold.

No point in getting in pissing contests with them either.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    ^Agreed.

Big Box stores are only useful to me when picking up music or dvds. I have no other reason for them, their Magnolia Home Theater section is setup like crap. I remember one guy arguing with me about how all upconverting DVD players were the same...

I think most people in this forum pride themselves by knowing how to do real research prior to testing/purchasing and trusting what they hear/see over the sales pitch.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    hrdhtdvr wrote:
    To heck with both of those places! I will buy all my stuff from Crutchfield and if I can't put the stuff in myself, I will pay my local shop to put it in. I can't see paying them hundreds of dollars on a amp, sub, hu, and everything else, then have them say "that will be $$ to install it. "Hey man, I just pumped $$$$ into your freaking store, and you won't install for free? Kiss my BUTT!!!!" Not to mention that they didn't carry the Polk products that I wanted.
    My shop doesnt install for free if you buy our products.
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2007
    at least they are hanging out at BB and CC instead of the Elementary schools :0)
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Whao...where'd you come from?!?! Haven't heard from you in a while....
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2007
    I do have to agree that it's fun at time to just listen to the sales pitch and having the sales guy/gal spill out a bunch of bull.........then letting him/her know how uninformed they really are.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    My shop doesnt install for free if you buy our products.
    -Cody
    you know what they say about the quality if the service is free...
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    Toxis wrote:
    you know what they say about the quality if the service is free...
    and sometimes even if it isnt. A guy bought some equipment from us and was going to install it himself. He ended up deciding against it and took it to circuit city because we werent open that day(sunday). He took it to us a couple days later because it was cutting off. They had the gain all the way up, all-pass filter set, bass boost all the way up, and frequency all the way up...
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    I can't say what I really think because I get told that I shouldn't be bashing the retailers and so on.

I go to the big box stores and I'll buy gear but usually all I need the trained monkey to do is go in the back and get me a box containing the item I am looking to purchase and give it to me so I can go to the front of the store and pay for it. Beyond that, I stopped arguing with the poor sales associates when one of them at Circuit City got so pissed I showed him up infront of his girlfriends that he actually started shoving me and "fronting" on me. They are a waste of time and while they do provide some passing enjoyment, I have better things to spend my time on than such wastes of space as the degenerates that staff such jobs.

Granted, not all of them are that way and there are quite a few exceptions. However, the majority still rules and my bad experiences still far outweigh my good experiences. So I will continue to treat them and use them as what they are, stock clerks, not salesmen. Of course if they show that they are one of the exceptions then everything is cool. I won't be degrading to any of them though unless they want to start a pissing match.

Did anyone notice either that it's pretty much ALWAYS guys staffing the car audio sections? I have yet to see a girl doing it and I almost wish they were. Girls are far less likely to be cocky and much more willing to be helpful. I'd rather deal with a girl than a guy if all I'm getting is a stock clerk.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • vawakemonster
    edited February 2007
    a hot girl in the car audio section sounds so perfect
    Dodge Dakota
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2007
    I think my favorite sales pitch is when they're trying to sell you a tv with extended warranty. They go on to tell you about how if you ever have a power surge your tv will get fried and how the warranty will protect agasint that. Then they try to attach products onto the sale and sell you an overpriced power conditioner / surge protector (one that is guarnteed to protect equipment up to $**** dollar range).

At our store we actually had a pretty good looking girl in the car audio section over the holidays but that ended soon after christmas... FWIW the XM radio rep that comes into the department once in a while is absolutely smokin'!
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    Theres a cute girl installer at the circuit city here. But shes no exception, she still cant install worth a ****.
    -Cody
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2007
    I've talked to a couple of ladies in the car audio section here in town.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • vawakemonster
    edited February 2007
    well all we ahve a fat kids and 35 year old dudes who wont give you the time of day.
    Dodge Dakota
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2007
    I'd rather go to the store with the ladies :D.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • pentavolvo
    pentavolvo Posts: 68
    edited February 2007
    we had a girl for a while but she was useless at selling. i think every store best buy or circuit city its hit or miss some locations will be great others will be horriable.

i actually quit circuit city because i hated upselling people on city advantage and freakin 100+ dollar rca's it was a joke. and apparently our new store manager hated me cause i didnt run all stuff we sold.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2007
    I have re-sufaced for some quick air!

not really into he Car thing any more. No time and no money...