fiberglass kick panels

Options
Slug Bug
Slug Bug Posts: 4
edited October 2007 in Custom Fabrication
hi.. i have been working on some fiberglass kick panels. this is the 1st time i have worked with fiberglass on something like this and have a question.

how many layers of glass should i put on the front of the panel? the back sides are a mold of the area the panel is going in it has 8 layers you think that should be good?

P2140009.jpg
Post edited by Slug Bug on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2007
    Options
    So whats going on here? You made a mold out of foam, putting fiberglass over it then rip the foam out?? Just wondering, I know nothing about it and need to make some panels for in my car.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Shig
    Shig Posts: 1
    edited April 2007
    Options
    does the back area flex? u should at least put 2 layers in the front. U dont want it to crack. Are u going to paing or wrap it?
  • Slug Bug
    Slug Bug Posts: 4
    edited May 2007
    Options
    i got the idea from this site.
    http://www.ajquick.com/cars/tutorials/fiberglass.php
    made just about like they did the sub box. made a mold of the space i wanted it in and the worked the shape i wanted it.

sorry to say the kick panels did last long. they took up to much room and 1 of them got cracked from people getting in and out of my beetle.

i am working on some ideas for some new panels and a sub box. i will take more pics this time when making them.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Looks nice
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Put 4 layers of the 1.5 ounce mat. There are a few ways to build kick panels. Most kickpanels do not have very large sides and I have found that if you can get them to about a 1/4" thick you will be fine. I just finished a pair today. They are a lot of work but are a fun little project. Going foward routing a edge on the speaker ring will give you a small shelf to staple your material to. The initial streteched material sould not go over the speaker ring. It will take a lot of sanding to get it smooth. Better to have the material meet the edges and keep the actual MDF surface clear.