Which satellite radio service has the best butt rock station?

cnjvh
cnjvh Posts: 253
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm talkin about hair bands here - glam all the way!! any experience?

Thanks!!
No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!

--Stuff--
Front: Polk Audio RTi12
Center: Polk Audio CSi5
Surrounds: Polk Audio RTi8 (x4)
Sub: SVS PB10-ISD (Dual)
AVR: Denon AVR-3805
Blu-Ray: Panasonic BD30
Display: Sony KDL-55NX720B
STB: Xfinity X1DVR
Post edited by cnjvh on

Comments

• cnjvh
    edited February 2007
    gonna reply to myself to get 100 posts...

--Stuff--
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited February 2007
    cnjvh wrote:
    gonna reply to myself to get 100 posts...

I've been looking into getting either XM radio or Sirius radio....they both have a variety of rock stations, although I couldn't say just how "kick butt" they are. Judging by their brochures, I'd say they cover just about ALL musical tastes.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • millerman 3732
    millerman 3732 Posts: 1,488
    edited February 2007
    Whats butt rock?
    Casey
    H/T: Epson 6500ub
    Sony UBP-X800
    Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD, CD)
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

TV Rig: Samsung 50'' 4k display
    Polk Signa-1 Surround bar
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    Whats butt rock?

Hmmm, I would think Cherry Pie would be a prime example of butt rock.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    I have XM and like it..

Many of my friends have Sirius...they all say it`s better than XM

I have an autographed XM Tuna from "The Man"....Mr. Mathew Polk, so I`m an XM man myself...

I thought about doing Sirius for the car though...maybe a six month trial..

You can do a month by month trial, and see which one kicks yer butt the best !!

You should have no problem selling whichever reciever you don`t like
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2007
    Robert, I'm a XM person myself my wife and I rented a car for 10 days last summer while around New Jersey area. The rental had Sirius radio we couldn't get into it if you paid us, we hated it. Funny it just may came down to what you know, can't find any talk channels, no country, no mix, nothing. Not saying they don't have it but it wasn't the same. Just different maybe they do that just be different then XM or built for a different age group I don't know.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    I agree...I think it is designed for a different age group myself

I listen to my XM every night when I come home (Home Office Rig)...I really dig it..

I have two other Tuna`s...a Nak, and a Parasound, (and a killer tube Fisher soon), but really enjoy the XM

My Safety guy at work likes the Sirius in his truck for the Rock Stations
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    iTunes radio, better sound and stations........ I have had Sirius and XM.
    Ohhhh, and its FREE.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2007
    I'd actually have to agree with scott here. We have sirius and xm at work and there are only a couple channels on either that I'd really bother listening to. There are thousands of free internet radio stations where you can hear a bunch of bands and artists that wouldn't normally hit the radio. The quality isn't always there, but the selection is amazing.
  • cnjvh
    edited February 2007
    Whats butt rock?

Ahh hmm lets see here...Poison, Warrant, GnR, Dokken, etc...metal w/makeup :-)

Went XM btw...seems sound quality betwen the two is pretty much the same (crappy) but I just like the look of the XM channel line up better. And also, well..Polk's on board with em too, so there you go :cool:

I've still got the stock stereo in my Wrangler so the satellite radio quality is the least of my worries!!

--Stuff--
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    You may want to wait...
    SIRIUS, XM SET TO CONFIRM MERGER PLAN TODAY
    By PETER LAURIA

MEL KARMAZIN Says:

"Done deal."

February 19, 2007 -- Satellite radio operators Sirius and XM are expected to announce their long-awaited merger today, according to a source familiar with the deal.

The two sides were locked in negotiations over the weekend trying to hammer out a final agreement with an eye toward going public with the merger today in Washington, D.C., where XM is based, this source said.

Talks were still going on at press time and the deal could fall apart at any time. With antitrust issues of paramount importance, this source said lawyers for both companies were working overtime to fine-tune the language of the agreement and frame the discussion around the deal itself and not regulatory concerns.

The transaction is expected to be structured as a merger of equals, but given Sirius' higher enterprise value, shareholders in the Mel Karmazin-led firm will likely come away with a larger percentage of a combined company.

According to the source, XM Chairman Gary Parsons will retain that title in the combined entity, with Karmazin likely taking the CEO role. It is unclear what role, if any, XM CEO Hugh Panero will play.

Combining Sirius and XM would result in a single satellite radio operator with more than 12 million total subscribers. A deal would also marry Sirius content, such as Howard Stern, Frank Sinatra and Nascar with XM's Oprah Winfrey, Bob Dylan and Major League Baseball.

More important, analysts widely predict that a deal would also save the two companies nearly $7 billion annually.

Karmazin and Parsons have been dropping hints since last summer about a possible tie-up, believing that competition from terrestrial radio, online radio and mobile music devices such as iPods have not only expanded the marketplace but also lowered the regulatory hurdles to a deal.

In a note on Friday, Bear Stearns analyst Robert Peck speculated that Sirius and XM needed to move quickly before their window of opportunity closed.

Gaining regulatory approval "could take up to 15 months; hence, we think any proposed deal needs to be announced by the end of March to close by mid-2008," Peck wrote.

On Friday, XM shares hit their lowest point since early November while Sirius shares were approaching 52-week lows. Shares in both companies did trade on heavy volume and ended the session higher, with Sirius gaining 10 cents to close at $3.70 and XM jumping a dollar to $13.98.

Link
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    Sad as I can't see XM absorbing content from Sirius without compression their own content further, their bandwidth pipe is only so big.
    A deal would also marry Sirius content, such as Howard Stern, Frank Sinatra and Nascar with XM's Oprah Winfrey, Bob Dylan and Major League Baseball.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    I can't see satellite radio surviving at all due to better free alternatives and iPods (and other brands). That's part and parcel why these guys are having to merge, despite the claims they make about their numbers. satellite radio is satellite radio. Haven't really heard much about how one is so much incredibly better than the other to warrant that kind of a absorbtion.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    I can't see the support XM gives to Talk Radio that can be replaced by Ipod since it would cost me dearly for the stuff I enjoy. My Ipod limit is $5 a month for podcast which I'm at my limit now.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    Technology is continually changing on the iPod front while satellite radio is what it is. That means things are only going to get better, and it's already hurting them as it is now. Most talk show hosts have their own services, and it would be in their best interest to price the satellite radio providers out of the market. I say satellite radio is dead by 2010.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2007
    I can't see it dying all together by any date. This country as a whole is conservative so with the live Talk shows on XM I can't see it. Now is XM going all talk, games, and other maybe. Then on the other hand if the congress passes any law that American Right needs to air some Left stuff even though the XM has Air America channel and others then I can see the Talk being removed then seeing XM die.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited February 2007
    Demiurge wrote:
    You may want to wait...

Link

Wow... good find. That could potentially have huge implications for the consumer electronics world. So many questions... wowzers!
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited February 2007
    cnjvh wrote:
    I'm talkin about hair bands here - glam all the way!! any experience?

Thanks!!

They both have the hair bands....I would say Sirius may be the best for rock and such though...

I have XM and listen to "the boneyard"...all the hair you'll ever want...Skid Row, Warrant, Dokken, Cinderella....there is also another station that plays only the top hits from the 70's, 80's and 90's...you'll hear Guns n Roses, Def Leppard, Metallica (post And Justice for All)

Sirius has one called "Hair Nation"...and more...

go to their websites...they will have station lists..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Demiurge
    edited February 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    I can't see it dying all together by any date. This country as a whole is conservative so with the live Talk shows on XM I can't see it. Now is XM going all talk, games, and other maybe. Then on the other hand if the congress passes any law that American Right needs to air some Left stuff even though the XM has Air America channel and others then I can see the Talk being removed then seeing XM die.

I agree with you on the talk angle, but how many of those leading names are on satellite? Rush is making too much money on his own, and it would be anti-capitalistic of him to throw his profit potential to XM/Sirius. He's already said he won't do it. Same for Sean Hannity and so on. Clear Channel isn't the only dog out there, but XM/Sirius would be in for a hell of a fight trying to go toe to toe with them.

I do agree with bknauss that this will be extremely interesting because it affects so many things, especially vehicles and such that have one of the brands built right in to the car.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2007
    XM, I've owned both.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!