You just can't please everybody.....

shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Maybe we need to make everybody play rap music with a couple of 12s in the trunk.....:rolleyes:
WASHINGTON (AFP) - An association of blind Americans has warned that cars with hybrid engines using electricity and fuel are dangerously too quiet for pedestrians.

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) said hybrid cars pose a risk to the blind, children, the elderly, cyclists and distracted pedestrians.

The group said it conducted tests with blind people.

"We had the car drive by in different situations, to see wether or not people could hear it and use the sound of the car to safely cross the street, and they could not. The car was just silent," NFB spokesman John Pare told AFP.

Pare said NFB does not want to add to noise pollution, but hybrid cars should not be less noisy than other cars.

Chris Danielsen, a 36-year-old NFB member, said up to 30 people took part in tests on a side street and in an alleyway with a Toyota Prius and a Honda Civic.

"We all stood on the side of the street and the idea was to raise your hand as you heard the car approach," Danielsen said.

"We generally couldn't sense that it was there right in front of us, which of course, if we had been standing in the road, would have been running right over us," he said.

"By the time anybody detected it, if we had actually been standing in the road, it would have taken out three or four people."

Barbara Pries, a member of NFB's pedestrian security committee, said no blind person has been killed by a hybrid car but some have reported having near accidents.

"It's just a matter of time before people are going to get injured and killed," she said.

Nearly 4,900 pedestrians were killed in road accidents in the United Stats in 2005, according the government figures.

NFB said it contacted Toyota, Honda and Ford in vain to ask that a noise or signal could be added to their hybrids.

Toyota representatives said there were no current plans to change its hybrid but that it was looking into improving pedestrian safety.

"We are aware of this issue and studying a way to improve pedestrian safety. It's important that the solution doesn't add to noise pollution but is good for pedestrians," said Toyota spokeswoman Martha Voss.

But another Toyota spokesman, Xavier Dominici, said the trend was toward quieter cars and that people should start getting used to them.

"There is a lot of ambient noise and the trends toward quiet powertrains in all vehicle has raised the need for additional caution to be exercised by pedestrians and drivers as well," he said.

"Part of it is also acclimating your ear to that noise. Frankly the sound of an automobile is changing as more quiet powertrains and hybrid vehicles come to dominate the market," he said

I think it is real important that we do something to help out the distracted pedestrian....

Like help them get a clue and pay f***ing attention when you are on a road.
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited February 2007
    yea i was watching Jay Leno a couple weeks ago and Diane Keaton ran over her dog because she drives a hybrid. Apparently he sleeps in the driveway and didnt hear the car coming. As to why she didnt see her dog in the driveway that i have no clue. I swear that was the fattest dog ive ever seen. Looked like a couch
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    Yet another attempt to please the vast minority at the cost of the majority. It's kinda part of the deal that life is a little tougher when you have a disability.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    Well, good luck to them on that one.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,568
    edited February 2007
    Shouldnt the person...driving the hybrid... pay attention to the fact that someone may be crossing the road???
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    Sid, don't point out the logical aspect against their argument. Don't you know it totally ruins it? :)
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    Well... now we finally have the answer to the age-old question "who will police the police?".... or rather "what will the protesters protest when there is nothing left to protest?"

Hippies protesting hybrids. Is it "Opposite Day" or has my alarm not gone off yet?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    Sid & Shizelbs, WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! I was thinking the same thing. The bulk of the responsibility belongs on the driver!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,568
    edited February 2007
    I dunno...

Lets all protest mail pick up...

A blind person may be getting their mail, and the mailman may be driving a hybrid and may just flat run him over... since you know... the guy driving the car is obviously blind to because he dosnt stop for pedestrians.

Nur Nur Nuh Nur

People amaze me.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    I've always thought a car should be loud enough to be noticed by the casual walker. The argument for this point is the same for why backup beepers are installed on comercial vehicles. (It is not obvious because of the sound that the vehicle is about to back up).
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    madmax wrote:
    I've always thought a car should be loud enough to be noticed by the casual walker. The argument for this point is the same for why backup beepers are installed on comercial vehicles. (It is not obvious because of the sound that the vehicle is about to back up).

Then we need to do something about bicycles as well. Those things make absoultely NO sound. They are a menace...
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Well I want something done about the drivers of cars who have their subwoofers blasting so loud that it makes my heart beat faster which will aggravate and trigger my panic disorder and cause me to have a panic attack and run out into the street in front of a hybrid vehicle while trying to get away (it's a panic thing) . . . Now who would I sue then, the kid blasting his music, or the hybrid owner or maybe my doctor who forgot to tell me that loud music coming from an automobile might make me run in front of a hybrid vehicle which of course I won't hear, never mind that in a panic you don't hear anything of coherence anyway. . . how about the drug company who's medication I take . . . it didn't stop the panic attack, I guess I'll sue them also. . .

GIVE ME AN EFFFING BREAK. . . what do these wackadoos do all day sit around trying to find rediculous **** to stir up and waste more of this country's . . . everything!!!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    If a hybrid car nails a pedestrian in the woods, does it really make a sound?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    If a hybrid car nails a pedestrian in the woods, does it really make a sound?

Yeah, it's like a queef.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2007
    Amazing.

People are saving the environment and all they get is this?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited February 2007
    The law says that it is up to the driver to be aware of pedestrians at or entering crosswalks.
    My aunt, who has been blind since birth and never expected anything from anybody other than fairness, I bet would say that her walking cane is a symbol for others to be aware. That includes cars, bicyclists, and other pedestrians.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    It'll be even more fun when the invisible electric car comes out.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2007
    How the hell often is there only one car on the road anyway? Generally there's going to be other traffic noise. I don't see that many instances where the only car on the road is electric. How about the people that drive golf carts around? Good freakin' grief. Why don't they just insist that we all install glasspacks. :rolleyes: I guess a few blind people are more important than the rest of the population and the entire planet's well-being.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2007

LOL! :D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    It just does to show - no matter how good we have it here in this country, there will ALWAYS be victims. :rolleyes:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Beekyman
    Beekyman Posts: 150
    edited February 2007
    Loud pipes save lives!!
    2 Channel Rig
    Source 1 - Apple TV
    Source 2 - Parasound D3 Universal Player
    Source 3 - Parasound Tuner T3
    Pre-amp - Parasound HALO P3
    Amplifier - Parasound HALO A21
    Speakers - Martin Logan Vista
    Power Conditioning - Panamax M5100-EX
  • G-2
    G-2 Posts: 533
    edited February 2007
    We think in Florida, those pedestrians may be taken (harvested) with the right permits ;)
    Home Theater
    Chane
    A3rx-c's, A2rc-c, A1rx-c's|Miller & Kreisel V-125's|Sony XBR65X810C 65" 4K LED TV|
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande-5|Pioneer Elite - VSX-84TXSi-AVR|TRIPPLITE LCR2400|
    Ultrasonic Amp Stand|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|

2 - Channel
    Polk
    RTA 12c's w/RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills resistors (full mod)|Turntable|
    Anthem MCA 2|Acurus Act 3 Pre Pro|Parasound P/Ph 100|Pioneer Elite N-30|Adcom GDA600|
    Premier Rack|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2007
    Beekyman wrote:
    Loud pipes save lives!!
    You beat me to it! biggrin.gif
    IMO, every car should sound like this. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=713387634
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:
    Then we need to do something about bicycles as well. Those things make absoultely NO sound. They are a menace...
    Playing cards in the spokes? We'll always know when a driveby bicycling is about to occur...
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2007
    I think it's a legitimate concern. Cars shouldn't be silent for the same reason odor is added to gasoline -- to minimize accidents. If it potentially saves lives, what's the harm with adding a little noise to a noiseless vehicle?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2007
    because then they are noisy when they drive by my house, totally invading my privacy! why I oughtta sue someone!

also loud cars are bad when you are listening to tunes in the car :)
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Refefer wrote:
    Playing cards in the spokes? We'll always know when a driveby bicycling is about to occur...
    Way back when I was a kid it was baseball cards (the ones of the other team) on the spokes with clothes pins. We used to do it with balloons to make it sound more like a motorcycle.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    Just strap homing beacons on all the blind people. The car's nav system will recognize them.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited February 2007
    Well I want something done about the drivers of cars who have their subwoofers blasting so loud that it makes my heart beat faster which will aggravate and trigger my panic disorder and cause me to have a panic attack and run out into the street in front of a hybrid vehicle while trying to get away (it's a panic thing) . . . Now who would I sue then, the kid blasting his music, or the hybrid owner or maybe my doctor who forgot to tell me that loud music coming from an automobile might make me run in front of a hybrid vehicle which of course I won't hear, never mind that in a panic you don't hear anything of coherence anyway. . . how about the drug company who's medication I take . . . it didn't stop the panic attack, I guess I'll sue them also. . .

GIVE ME AN EFFFING BREAK. . . what do these wackadoos do all day sit around trying to find rediculous **** to stir up and waste more of this country's . . . everything!!!

And the answer is all of them.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2007

I'm first in line when cloaking devices come out. I know of a few choice people in my neighborhood that need to be run over and squashed!
    No excuses!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    Seems as though everyone is overlooking the fact that 4 tires going round n round make a helluva lot of noise, which for a blind person should be easy to hear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk