DC/Baltimore on Friday

Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'll be in Washington this Friday; will get there around 8 am, pick up a car, get done with my business there around 10 AM. Flight back is at 5:30 PM, so I have like 6 hours to do nothing.

Any recommendations? Planning to go have some crab cakes in Baltimore. Was once at a place in Harborplace that was pretty decent, but I'm sure there are better...

Anyone wants to join me for lunch? Eating alone is not something I enjoy a lot....
Any audio places worth visiting?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
Post edited by Ricardo on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2007
    I'm in DC right now on business, and it's nasty here! I'm hoping by Thursday evening when I fly out the weather has cleared up and I can get back home to Chicago. Hopefully you miss all the weather when you come in on Friday.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Ricardo
    edited February 2007
    Yes, supposed to be 30 and sunny on Friday. We had our share of ice here in the last 24 hours. Roads are a mess....

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2007
    There are several cool museums in the inner harbor and it's a nice place to walk around (though not today) I would recommend heading to a bar in Fell's point if your in the B-more area and hunker down in a pup and maybe visit the funky little music store there.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited February 2007
    Are you referring to Soundgarden? It is a pretty cool record store (yes they still have vinyl!) If you're in Fells Point and like beer, check out Max's on Broadway. They have 40 or 50 on tap, whole bunch more in bottles. BOP is great for pizza, brick oven style, right across the street from Max's. Bertha's is another Fells Point landmark, ever seen an "Eat Bertha's Mussels" bumper sticker? Great salt of the earth kinda place, sometimes has jazz trios. I'd love to show you around, but I'll be camping this weekend.

As for crabcakes, the best ones I've had near B-more are at a place called Koko's. While technically in the city, it's not exactly downtown.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited February 2007
    Uggh... I was there last week teaching at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Of course it was the coldest in 10 years when I was there, 9 degrees. It took me this long to thaw out.

Good Luck!
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • Ricardo
    edited February 2007
    Thanks guys. Great tips.... hunkering down at a bar and/or try 40-50 different beers is something I'd love to do..if I didn't have to drive back to the airport ;)
    Keep'em coming.

SOPA
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2007
    Talk to Mike (Bluemdpicker) as he lives about 10 minutes from the airport if you want something to do in that area.

Strider: You're probably right on the name. I don't pay attention to the names, I just know where to go.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited February 2007
    HTrookie wrote:
    Thanks guys. Great tips.... hunkering down at a bar and/or try 40-50 different beers is something I'd love to do..if I didn't have to drive back to the airport ;)
    Keep'em coming.

Point taken. Do you like real Mexican food? There's a place called the Blue Agave in Federal Hill, which is adjacent to the Inner Harbor. Incredible food, all fresh, great sauces. They also have a great tequila selection. There are some cool museums downtown, like the American Visionary Arts Museum, National Aquarium, B&O train museum is great if you like trains.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited February 2007
    Plan on at least one hr travel time in AM if you are using BWI to DC. 95 coming into the city is a real mess at that time of day. I know some good places in DC Prime Rib on K street is great or tony & mo's in georgetown. I'm allergic to shellfish:( Is your business in downtown DC?

JT
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2007
    Why don't you contact Paul at pdicomo@polkaudio.com and see if you can tour the HQ?
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    Josh wrote:
    Why don't you contact Paul at pdicomo@polkaudio.com and see if you can tour the HQ?
    2nd that!

And take pictures!
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Ricardo
    edited February 2007
    jtgranby wrote:
    Plan on at least one hr travel time in AM if you are using BWI to DC. 95 coming into the city is a real mess at that time of day. I know some good places in DC Prime Rib on K street is great or tony & mo's in georgetown. I'm allergic to shellfish:( Is your business in downtown DC?

JT

I'll be in Georgetown; I'm coming through Ronald Reagan, so it's like a 10 minutes drive.
    josh wrote:

Yes, that would be nice, but I'm not gonna bother them to get me on their schedule in a business day....

SOPA
  • Ricardo
    edited February 2007
    So any lunch takers? Audio stores to go peek??

SOPA
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2007
    Email me.... dorokusai@comcast.net
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited February 2007
    dorokusai wrote:

Careful HT, he is fond of wearing assless chaps and gets mean when he drinks.

Or so I hear.:D
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2007
    I'll make a man out of him, Brett22 style.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ricardo
    edited February 2007
    ha ha ha; you wish ;) Dirty **** email sent

SOPA
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2007
    HT - I hope the weather is better for you on Friday! It's been an absolute mess trying to get around in downtown DC the last couple of days. I finally made it out to Dulles/Herndon late afternoon today. I have one more client meeting Thursday afternoon and then hopefully I am out of here.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Ricardo
    edited February 2007
    Just got home; Reagan airport was a total chaos; we were lucky that our plane got delayed only 45 minutes...

I had a great time today with Mark; it was a pleasure meeting you and talking over a few beers. We need to do it again. Thanks again for driving down to VA to join me.

SOPA
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2007
    Ricardo - Same to you. It was nice to hear such a positive, grounded perspective in regards to your pursuits in audio. The beer was cold and the food was also tasty :)

Have fun at the Chicago shindig, as you will meet some other cool people. That will be the turning point for your wallet ;)