NAD C370 for SDA 2B's?

Options
Stew
Stew Posts: 645
edited February 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I just picked up a NAD C370 for $400 from audiogon after reading a number of favorable reviews. I upgraded the tweeters and crossovers on my SDA 2B's last year but I'm still running the Yamaha integrated (100 w/ch @ 6 ohms) that I bought with the SDA's in 1989. The NAD should be here in a week or so. The Yamaha seems to have plenty of power for a moderate size room but has always sounded a little harsh and bright. There's obviously better amps, etc. but the C370 sounds like a good deal for the money. How'd I do?
SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
1000VA Dreadnought
Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
Post edited by Stew on

Comments

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2007
    Options
    It should be a pretty big improvement. I have the c352 for my lsi9's and it works pretty well. I've always been pretty impressed by what you get for your money with nad. Let us know what you think when the amp arrives!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    Options
    You did fine. I like NAD products and own several pieces of NAD gear. I run my SDA 1Cs with an NAD C270 (same amp - separate box from pre). It has more than enough power to drive them well at low or high volume.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Stew
    edited February 2007
    Options
    It's in the mail. Should be here next Wednesday!
    1000VA Dreadnought

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Stew
    edited February 2007
    Options
    It's here! I hooked up the C370 last night and had a chance to listen for a little while. My first impression is that it's noticeably smoother. The Yamaha seems to have a little harder edge and the NAD seems softer, richer, warmer. The Yamaha almost seems a little more impressive for a brief listen but the harder edge is tiring. The NAD seems easier to listen to. I've been listening to the Yamaha for so many years, I think my ears will have to get used to the new sound. It's definitely an improvement but it also makes me realize that the old Yamaha is pretty respectable for a reasonably priced amp from 15 years ago.

On another note, the seller included a pair of Infinity Audio Silvery First jumpers in addition to the factory pre-amp out to amp in jumpers. Anyone have any experience with these? I put them in but haven't had a chance to A-B them with the factory jumpers.
    1000VA Dreadnought

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Apparently good jumpers make a difference but from my experiance trying different rca's as jumpers I couldn't tell a difference. Now I run a seperate preamp so I don't use them at all.

Glad to hear you're liking it. Give the nad a week and then switch back to the yamaha and you'll probably be able to pick out the differences easier.