Monarchy 24/96 DIP - Jitter Box

rskarvan
rskarvan Posts: 2,374
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Just thought I'd share some enlightenment with you all.

I have an older (but, nice) JVC cd player with an optical output.
I had purchased an ADCOM GDA700 DAC with AES/EBU input (as well as Toslink and SPDIF).

Anyway... the Dac improved the sound of the JVC cd player - no surprise there.

I've been looking for cd transports and have been disappointed that there are few good values out there.

So, just for a test, I purchased a used and broken Monarchy DIP 24/96 from a guy in Canada. Purchase price was $45.

I immediately sent it to San Francisco for repair at Monarchy. Cost of repair was $50. I think they replaced the chip/processor in it.

Anyway... I got it back from Monarchy and put it into my system.
Here is the signal path.
JVC CD player > Monarchy DIP > Adcom GDA700 DAC > Krell KAV250P preamp > Krell KAV250A amp > Thiel 3.6 Speakers. (All balanced interconnects)

The addition of the Monarchy DIP was every bit as substantial as any other upgrade that I have performed. The sound is just better. Crisper. Fuller. Clearer. Tighter.

Conclusion: Digital Jitter is real. Digital Jitter correction is effective.

Alternate Conclusion: The ADCOM DAC works much better with AES/EBU input vs. TOSLINK.

Maybe its a bit of both. But, in any event, a higher degree of Audio Nirvana has been reached. The addition of the Monarchy 24/96 Jitter-box resulted in a substantial improvement.

One last thing: buying used and broken on E-bay can result in a good deal. Another Monarchy 24/96 in working condition just sold for $205. Mine cost approximately $100.
Post edited by rskarvan on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    And this is/was going to be the next purchase... they don't last long on the 'gon at anything close to Bluebook.
    Thanks for the write-up.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    Isn't it recommended that a digital coax is used from transport to jitter box than optical from box to DAC? I've never understood why Monarchy claims this to be a superior set-up...
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited February 2007
    That Monarchy piece is worth the price. I have been meaning to get one for a long time but it’s always on the back burner. I've heard my system with and w/o it and jitter is a real phenomenon and when controlled/eliminated it really makes a marked difference in sound. I've done a lot of research on jitter both clock induced jitter as well as jitter produced by the transport. Clock induced jitter is the most prevalent and the DIP really works if you are into that kind of critical listening like I am.

Also FWIW, I recently started using and Adcom GDA600 in place of the GDA700. The HDCD is very nice and both units are excellent regardless of what they cost used. But I’ve recently been corresponding with an old Adcom tech and found out the GDA600 was partially designed by none other than Nelson Pass. And many at Adcom (at the time) and others feel the GDA600 has the edge over the GDA700 in presentation and soundstage depth (a little smoother and more open). Those Burr Brown PCM-63K Dac’s are to this day still phenomenal.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • rskarvan
    edited February 2007
    In general, dig. coax is better than optical.
    My old JVC CD player only has optical out.

Though, a write-up that was sent to me by Monarchy lists the total Jitter on the coax at 685 pico-seconds. Whereas, the total jitter on the optical channel is 602 pico-seconds (better). So, your results may vary.
    (Results from write-up by Paul Miller - Hi Fi News May 1996).
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2007
    rskarvan wrote:
    Here is the signal path.
    JVC CD player > Monarchy DIP > Krell KAV250P preamp > Krell KAV250A amp > Thiel 3.6 Speakers.

Rskarvan -- how are you connecting the DIP directly to a preamp? I thought the DIP only had a digital input and output (based on the pic on the audioadvisor website).
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Early B.
    edited February 2007
    heiney9 wrote:
    That Monarchy piece is worth the price....I've heard my system with and w/o it and jitter is a real phenomenon and when controlled/eliminated it really makes a marked difference in sound.

That's been my experience, as well.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    Early B. wrote:
    Rskarvan -- how are you connecting the DIP directly to a preamp? I thought the DIP only had a digital input and output (based on the pic on the audioadvisor website).

..that's what I was thinking, I think he left out the DAC?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    Huh? Didn't catch that myself... does that particular preamp have a DAC?
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2007
    rskarvan wrote:
    In general, dig. coax is better than optical.
    My old JVC CD player only has optical out.

Though, a write-up that was sent to me by Monarchy lists the total Jitter on the coax at 685 pico-seconds. Whereas, the total jitter on the optical channel is 602 pico-seconds (better). So, your results may vary.
    (Results from write-up by Paul Miller - Hi Fi News May 1996).

Your loss (jitter) is going to correlate directly to the quality of your optical cable, and the cleanliness and tightness of your connections (along with how well the clocks time to each other). Playing in the electrical/optical digital telcom world, I have a hard time believing that given equal quality cables, with proper cleaning, that the optical won't out preform the electrical signal. With a digital electrical, you'll still have the same timing issues, except now you introduce voltage drop, which really kills a digital signal.

There's more, like laser/LED intensity, but for the distances we're running I doubt thats an issue.

As with anything JMHO.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • rskarvan
    edited February 2007
    I forgot the DAC (following the DIP). Correction made.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    Although it may be hard to find ,another very good unit for jitter reduction is the GW Labs DSP .It uses the Crystal CS8420 sample rate converter chip which is highly effective at attenuating jitter.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Early B.
    edited February 2007
    Aside from modding one's CDP to upgrade the clock, are there any other products designed to reduce jitter that don't require a DAC to use them?

• Systems
    edited February 2007
    No not without redesigning the unit.Also jitter is more of an issue when using a separate transport/ DAC setup than with an all in one CD player.The problem is in the SPDIF or the way the digital signal is sent through the coax to the DAC.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    Besides this Monarchy product, are there any others that perform the same function?
  • Systems
    edited February 2007
    The GW Labs unit mentioned in post #12,

Perpetual Technologies PA1,

Parts Connexions D2D-1

Im not sure if any of these are still being produced.

Edit: it looks like the GW unit is still available http://www.centasound.com/products/gwdsp.html
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007
    GV#27 wrote:
    No not without redesigning the unit.Also jitter is more of an issue when using a separate transport/ DAC setup than with an all in one CD player.The problem is in the SPDIF or the way the digital signal is sent through the coax to the DAC.

I'm going to have to disagree (somewhat). Because seperate Dac's tend to be much higher quality than a typical all-in-one type unit most times drastic steps have been taken to reduce clock induced jitter. Also it's not so much in how the data is sent thru the cable as in the way the info is re-clocked. Most high end Dac's have excellent crystal clocks and circutry to support. Any Dac worth it's salt has greatly reduced jitter over the typical all-in-one unit. Of course as always there are exceptions.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited February 2007
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Besides this Monarchy product, are there any others that perform the same function?

I believe Audio Alchemy has produced several versions of a (anti)jitter box...
  • rskarvan
    edited February 2007
    You should be careful when choosing a jitter-trap. Some of the lesser jitter busters will actually add jitter to a decent transport. The Monarchy 24/96 was found to reduce jitter by 50% on COAX and near 90% on TOSLINK. I figured my old JVC was probably a jitter-monster that needed taming. My ears tell me it was a worthy investment.
  • Systems
    edited February 2007
    heiney9 wrote:
    I'm going to have to disagree (somewhat). Because seperate Dac's tend to be much higher quality than a typical all-in-one type unit most times drastic steps have been taken to reduce clock induced jitter. Also it's not so much in how the data is sent thru the cable as in the way the info is re-clocked. Most high end Dac's have excellent crystal clocks and circutry to support. Any Dac worth it's salt has greatly reduced jitter over the typical all-in-one unit. Of course as always there are exceptions.
    Sorry but I will respectfully disagree.:)
    Many of the newer CD/DVD players use the very same dac chips as those used in separate units.For instance my inexpensive Pioneer DVD player uses the very good BurrBrown DSD1791 chip for the main channels.
    I will agree that the better outboard DAC's have low levels of jitter but they still have to recieve the combined signal (clocks and data ) via a coax through a SPDIF transmitter from the output of the transport.Then a SPDIF reciever chip at the DAC end must decode and divide the clocks from the data etc.This transmitter/reciever interface is were jitter can rear its ugly head unless it uses a Sample Rate Converter/receiver like the Crystal CS8420 for the input.
    But if you are using the analog outputs of a CD player (ie not as a transport)the digital data is not put through this extra interface, therefore a big potential source of jitter is eliminated.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited February 2007
    I believe Audio Alchemy has produced several versions of a (anti)jitter box...
    I would avoid these dated designs.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007
    GV#27 wrote:
    For instance my inexpensive Pioneer DVD player uses the very good BurrBrown DSD1791 chip for the main channels.

Inexpensive and good can't be used in the same sentence. Burr Brown has made a lot of great chipsets. A good chipset doesn't make for good digital to analog conversion.

I have an inexpensive Pioneer DVDp and it sounds horrible. The chipset is but one small part of the larger equation. And clock induced jitter is still the most prevalent. I posted about this exact issue about a year ago and I don't feel like getting all my resources together. So anyone who might be interested furthur please do a search.

GV#27 you and I are really on the same page we just disagree in the minutae. There is certainly truth to what you say but that again is one small part of the larger equation that is digital to analog conversion (at least how it pertains to audio). I don't pretend to know everything but I have done a lot of research and as always YMMV :)
  • rskarvan
    edited February 2007
    I too have done quite a bit of research on this matter and I agree with Heiney9.
  • Systems
    edited February 2007
    heiney9 wrote:
    Inexpensive and good can't be used in the same sentence. Burr Brown has made a lot of great chipsets. A good chipset doesn't make for good digital to analog conversion.

I have an inexpensive Pioneer DVDp and it sounds horrible. The chipset is but one small part of the larger equation. And clock induced jitter is still the most prevalent.

Hi heiney9, Im of the belief that better analog stages following the DAC chips and power supplies are of far greater importance than reducing jitter.
    Many inexpensive units have quite good digital sections but to keep costs down manufacturers cut corners in the analog stages and power supplies,chassis etc.

Like I mentioned my Pioneer DV563's digital section is well executed and uses a very good dac chip but they crippled it with a VERY nasty opamp output stage at the output of the dac , with poorly implemented voltage regulators and cheap electrolytic coupling caps.

I completely modified everything after the dac chip with higher performance opamps and voltage regulators etc. and can say that the sound was transformed.The excellence of the Burr Brown DSD 1791 DAC was now apparent and no atempt was made at jitter reduction.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007
    GV#27 wrote:
    Hi heiney9, Im of the belief that better analog stages following the DAC chips and power supplies are of far greater importance than reducing jitter.
    Many inexpensive units have quite good digital sections but to keep costs down manufacturers cut corners in the analog stages and power supplies,chassis etc.

Like I mentioned my Pioneer DV563's digital section is well executed and uses a very good dac chip but they crippled it with a VERY nasty opamp output stage at the output of the dac , with poorly implemented voltage regulators and cheap electrolytic coupling caps.

I completely modified everything after the dac chip with higher performance opamps and voltage regulators etc. and can say that the sound was transformed.The excellence of the Burr Brown DSD 1791 DAC was now apparent and no atempt was made at jitter reduction.

I absolutely agree and clock induced jitter reduction is the next step to take things even farther. We really are on the same thought, I just feel jitter is a nasty byproduct and can always be reduced/eliminated.

Every stage of the D to A process has to be very well designed in order to get the best results.
  • Systems
    edited February 2007
    heiney9 wrote:

Every stage of the D to A process has to be very well designed in order to get the best results.
    Agreed.:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing