MM455 and replacement for crossovers possible?

Options
superholti
superholti Posts: 1
edited August 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm the proud new owner of a MM455 5.25" System. I'm planning to install the system in a few days and I'm wondering, if I could get rid of these enormous big crossover boxes. There's nearly no place for them in my sporty coupe :rolleyes: - I would have to install unnessesseraly long cables to the speakers to hide my crossovers somewhere in my car. I will install them together with a db12 sub (in a sealed box) and a Becker Silverstone Radio / CD-Changer with 2 Becker Energy 350 amplifiers. These amplifiers are designed as DSP amplifiers, so I could use one amp with high-pass and low-pass filters adjustable from 30 Hz to 5 kHz per channel pair for the tweeters and the mid-speaker. It's possible to adjust the distance from the tweeter to the mid-speaker with the delay audio signal function of the amp.

Is this possible? And if it's possible, at which frequencies should the filters take action?

Yours Frank
Post edited by superholti on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited August 2002
    Options
    If you're going to run the speakers without the passive crossovers just be sure to make sure you don't run the tweeters too low or they won't last. High- pass the tweeters at 3.5 or 4K (12dB or steeper slope) and band- pass the mids from around 80 or 100 Hz to around 4K. You can play with the frequencies on the mid until it sounds best to you, but don't let the tweeters run lower than that. The sub will probably work best low- passed at 60- 80 Hz. with at least a 12 dB slope as well.