Why have a Polk Forum?

bikezappa
bikezappa Posts: 2,463
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Why have a Polk Forum?

This Forum has helped me enjoy music and movies in my home by showing me different ways to set up equipment, recommended artists, suggesting components and help fixing broken things. The Forum has also given me many a chuckle in many of the diverse thread topics. Maybe it’s because of my age, 58, but lately I feel there is too much name calling and insults being used. I know I have been guilty of venting and I wish I could take them all back because they did no one any good.

We all have different opinions and data to support our positions. Some of the data is wrong and some is accurate. There is good data and bad data, I won’t get into which is which now. I think we use this forum to learn new things. If our mind is set in its position on a topic please explain why with data or facts if possible. An old doctor friend of mine said 50% of my medical knowledge is wrong, the problem I have is that I don’t which 50%. It gets old pretty quick on the forum to read some member call them a %^((%#@#@# if they disagree with you. This Forum can help all of us improve our systems, save us money, help us spend our money wisely and meet new friends. I just don’t understand why for example if the topic is about cables it appears to end up as a shouting game. I would hope that we are still skeptical and use common sense when parting with our hard earned cash. I want a good reason to buy a line cord or IC for $500 that has the same materials as the $50 one.

Maybe some sort of relative importance scale could be established with out trying to endlessly debate measured and no measurable electrical characteristics of cables. For example, I think everyone would hear the difference in their system by A & B testing if the bass was increased by 30% or the volume was increased by 20%, or the speakers were moved 4 feet to one side. These differences would be obvious. How much change does changing a cable make compared to the above list of changes? Smaller, bigger or very little? Maybe a list ranking what changes are the most obvious would be a start. If the sound from changing the line cord is small compared to moving your system into a larger room, then maybe we have an understanding. My suspicion is that much of this endless debate is that people listen to different things and our sensitive to different things.

I guess at the end of the day we all can agree that we all enjoy reproducing audio and video in our environment. And like food and people we all like different flavors and we are sensitive to certain small and big characteristics of the people. Let's be skeptical and open minded, how can that hurt. Let the flaming begin.
Post edited by bikezappa on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    The man makes a good point.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited February 2007
    I see your point of view and occasionally get a bit frustrated at times. But this forum is by far the most helpful and civil forum I frequent. The only other forum that is better as far as staying on topic and mostly flameless is the DIY audio forum. I ignore what I don;t feel is relevent.

Yes, we all can get our panties in a bunch sometimes, but I still say looking at the whole picture this is a really good diverse forum with great people.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • bikezappa
    edited February 2007
    [ I ignore what I don;t feel is relevent.

Yes, we all can get our panties in a bunch sometimes, but I still say looking at the whole picture this is a really good diverse forum with great people.[/QUOTE]

I guess that is my point, if it's not relevant to you then why post with name calling. Maybe some people enjoy that type of banter.
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited February 2007
    Its way safer and more convenient than visiting a lunatic asylum, and nearly as mush fun.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2007
    bikezappa wrote:
    Why have a Polk Forum?

because despite the flaws and weaknesses, we still enjoy having a forum?
    yes, I agree sometimes the namecalling can be uncalled for, but I have seen worse. yes, occasionally we need to have a call for civility, but I dont think were at the point to where we should question why we have a forum?

maybe I'm just taking he question wrong, who knows
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    ...because we all crave peer recognition and/ or validation on some level.

It's as simple as that.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    The forum does more good than harm. The fact that almost all the name calling, flaming, etc. happens in the Clubhouse is encouraging to me: hell, that's where debate should happen... it's a clubhouse, right? Sure, I think personal attacks are a little much, but I like a lively discussion as much as the rest, so long as it stays on topic and doesn't attack the person unjustly. Sure, asking for support for an argument is fine, but slandering for the sake of slandering sure gets annoying.

As for cables, I think that's been beaten to death at this point. Some people hear a difference, some don't. Some people have more "accurate" ears, and can hear miniscule differences, other's can't. I personally don't care what you can hear... I just want my music to sound enjoyable to myself. I find cables help me. If you can't hear that, than my having those cables certainly doesn't hurt you. ;)

I hardly think that that's relevant, the idea is that we're all looking to get our systems grooving in the right ways. I sure as hell didn't put my system together to impress you lot, it's for my enjoyment. ;)

That said, I wouldn't be where I am right now if I hadn't had the opportunity to meet you all. Heck, I wouldn't have known SDA's even existed.

So yep, so long as the debates stay in the clubhouse, it's all fine by me... so long as they're debates.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    this place sucks. i'm outta here........

:p

I have to disagree... there is no more name calling going on right now than there has been during the life of this forum. This forum has evolved to what it is now.... and I think where it is now is pretty dang cool.

If I call someone an ****-munch... it's probably because 1. they deserve it, 2. I had a bad day... or 3. I don't like their haircut. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah... any topic about cables always ends in a shouting match... basically everyone here (me included) feel their cables are the best regardless of price or build quality... (insert subliminal Cobalt Cables rock message here). :D;)

Ok. all kidding aside... you get out of this forum what you put into it and if you participate and get to know the people behind the words on the screen... then it helps to enrich your life. THere are some great knowlegable people here... and that's what makes this forum two steps above all the millions of others out there.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    Go to some other forums on the interwebs. This place is like a freakin' chapel of respect and good manners.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    I have learned more in 6 months here than in 20 years of owning, and reading about "hi fi".
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • bikezappa
    edited February 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    ...because we all crave peer recognition and/ or validation on some level.

It's as simple as that.

Cheers,
    Russ

Got that right Russ.

Some one once told me that "We all want to be capable and lovable."

I haven't found many exceptions to that.
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited February 2007
    You go to any forum and cable/power cord threads always result in a rant. It is because people don't take into consideration system synergy.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    I avoid all cable threads like the plague!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited February 2007
    bobman1235 wrote:
    Go to some other forums on the interwebs. This place is like a freakin' chapel of respect and good manners.
    That's why this is the only forum I participate in... I love you guys and gals! :D

(make note to attend a Polkfest someday)
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited February 2007
    The name calling and arguments can grate on one's nerves from time to time but I haven't found many forums that will give one so much support in times of personal crisis. So, it's taking some bad with a lot of the good imo...

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    Some of the folks that whine about the name calling and locker room ribbing are the most guilty of the bunch. They throw punches and name call and then cry about the name calling they get thrown back at them. If you have a thin skin around here you'll get ridden until you get over yourself. Cliff? Yeah...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,567
    edited February 2007
    Cmon...

This forum is CALM compared to the Troy D, Russ, Mantis, Liv4Fame days....

Its evolved into a very good forum with LOTS of participation.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    Hmm, it may be calmer now. When I first joined the forum, it seemed like "Sid" was getting his arse handed to him every other day. There's some good threads out there somewhere.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2007
    Time for an Oprah hug?

Find me a place without it's own brand of disfunction and I'll sell you a bridge.

As for the rest of it, whatever. I generally find that people who whine about listening to all sides are on the A. minority side of an issue, B. are as intolerant of the validty of the opposing view. So, my theory is, you want me to take you seriously? Give me a good reason to change my view. However, if you are going to spout ignorant BS, expect to get called on it. Simple.

Lastly, there are few things in life more satisfying and entertaining that ripping into the occaisonal jerkoff.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    "Why can't we all just get along?"
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    We can once you recognize that the best speakers Polk ever made were the LS90's. And the best part is they sound the best hooked up to cheap **** Ratshack 16 gauge wire playing on a first generation Pioneer CD player in multichannel surround sound AVR. Who did I forget to offend?

Brahahahahaahahaha!
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2007
    i come here because it's middle ground compared to all the other sites i go to. this is home to me.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • bikezappa
    edited February 2007
    OK so I don't do much posting on forums. I only go to two other forums and no one would be allowed to criticize some one with just adjectives. And both these forums, like Polk, have been very helpful to me and others. They Criticize with data and facts yes. But some Polk postings just have the adjectives. Sometimes it's like the piranha attacking the schmuck in the B movies. Some would call it shooting from the hip.

I guess it just goes with the forum territory. Develop a thick skin.

or

What is to give light must endure burning-Viktor Frankl
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,549
    edited February 2007
    I kinda agree with you on some points, BZ. This forum can get awfully rowdy really quickly... but I think it's more some people more than the forum itself. I think the reason why this forum has that "I'll call you names if I dont agree with you" mentality is because of the longevity of this forum. There are members here who have been here twice longer or more than I have and they've found comfort in this forum, much like anyone else finds comfort in one's family moreso than if one were placed in the middle of a dancefloor where they knew no one.

It does get tiring when people critique what you do or why you do it or what you have, but at the end of the day, this forum is more good than bad and the majority of the people here are great great people.

Just my take.

Joey
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited February 2007
    This ain't too bad.

.....not enough cat pictures, but ...... overall ...... this ain't too bad.

Compared to BBSing days, I actually need somebody to tell me when I'm getting ripped; too many manners (or should that be too much manners ?).

So whatever you guys/gals are doing, ...... keep doing it.
    Sal Palooza
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Its calmer due to the increased prescriptions of Paxil.......

We participate and go on, and it doesnt bother us anymore, Someone pass the vodka its time to take my pill.......
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    This forum has taught me alot about audio by some of the most knowledable people plus I have had alot of fun here as well. For me there are some threads that I read and choose not to get involved in as I do not want to get into a shooting match. After meeting quite a few of the group at PF I can say you wont find a nicer bunch of people who will help someone out at the drop of a hat. I cant wait untill PF07 where I get to see the group again and meet more of the gang.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2007
    This forum has taught me more about audio that any other forum. Do I belong to others? No. This one just seems to fit. I get a long with some and others I ignore. They probably do the same to me.
    Rule of thumb.
    If you do not like the post, ignore it. If you want to retaliate, type the response, go away for 20 minutes and then come back and read it. If at that point you do not like the post, delete it. Otherwise hit the send button.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    This past Saturday, I had 15 adults and five children over for my younger son's 10th birthday. . . why only five children? I don't know LOL. Now all 15 are relatives of mine and relatives of my wifes. Including my mother - in- law. I worked my balls off for two days cooking and getting my house which I just moved into straightend up a bit so that my company would be comfortable.

I can recall atleast six debates that got going on a variety of subjects. Three got heated. . . as much as I sometimes love a good debate and even some spirited verbal abusing, I spent most of my time in my media room demo'ing my awesome rig to the members of the family who love music.

We had our own debate going when discussing music, equipment etc.

It is human nature to have opinions & experience and then to debate about them and then at times it gets heated. So WHAT??? That is the way it is.

I don't know why certain people like yourself BZ get upset when things get heated or the explicatives start flying??? I notice that you try to be a peace maker. . .which is admirable. What I have experienced on this forum in the 8 months I've been a member is a sense of family here. Some closer than others. I've had numerous memebers come to my aid when I had some problems or questions. I've had numerous members come to my aid when some jerk off decided to take a shot at me for simply sharing my experience with something. I've also been beat up for saying something really stupid or disrespectful towards someone. I've fired back at some for their aggressive behaviour or just plain disrespect towards me or any other member that has helped me out or any member for that matter.

Most of the people who get beat up on here are some new guys or some wise guys who just want to take a dump here and expect people to take it. I believe in trying to be nice to everyone. . .but I am human, and some times I will act like a 20 year old who is feeling his oats and jump down someones throat especially if they bring my wife into the mix or get personal with me. . . sometimes I'll just ignore them.

The point is this is like one huge extended family and there is bound to be contraversy. I personally couldn't care less what most people think of me. . . I try to be a good person everyday and some days I just downright fail at it. . . SO WHAT!!! Tomorrow's another day to learn something new and I can only do it if I have an open mind.

I've seen people really go off here and then humbly apologize (I've done it myself a couple of time) and then just move on to the next thread or ask or answer the next question. Who cares if things get heated, it keeps things entertaining and interesting.

That's my looooonnnnngggg $0.02
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Its calmer due to the increased prescriptions of Paxil.......

We participate and go on, and it doesnt bother us anymore, Someone pass the vodka its time to take my pill.......

PAXIL and calmer in the same sentance don't mix. . . that **** not only makes you hypersensative but the sexual side effects alone would make you so frustrated that you feel like punching out the next person who breathes near you. . . ahem that is my experience with that drug!!!

ANYONE WANT TO DISAGREE WITH ME CAN STEP OUTSIDE!!!! ROTFLMREO!!!