Front speaker recommendations???

DemonAstroth
DemonAstroth Posts: 131
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm utterly confused....

My car's stock front speakers consist of some Clarion 4x6's in the doors coupled with a 3/4" soft tweeters in the A pillar.

Currently, I have some DB460's in the doors with 2 different tweeters in each pillar. :rolleyes: (Feel free to add me to the ghetto thread)

I have been seriously considering upgrading my front speakers, as they are usually drowned by the DB6500's in the back. ( I have the gain for the amp to the front, and even the head unit has the fader to the front to get a decent front sound stage).

There is space for some decently sized 6.5's in the front. I had purchased some MM6's, but the magnet was huge and I would have had to cut the door's metal to make them fit.

I have been considering a pair of Infinity 60.7cs component system. They are 6.5's but the magnet is supposed to be very small. They are 2ohm. It all sounds great.... except for the fact that the tweeters are metal, and I'm afraid of the shrill sounds they may produce. (I was very thrilled with the silk tweeters of the MM6's)

I cannot seem to find a nice alternative. Will a 5.25 component set be that much underpowered as opposed to a 6.5? A 5.25 woofer has less area than the stock 6x4's, but of course they are round. I do not care much about how loud my system is, but I care much more about the sound quality. I want some speakers with decent midbass and nice tweeters that will bring the sound up into the pillars. Something that would match nicely with the DB6500's. Clear natural sound is the goal.

Any suggestions?

Demon
Post edited by DemonAstroth on

Comments

• black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited February 2007
    I have the the mmc525 components. i dont have them installed yet but i was testing them and they sound great. theres also the mmc5250, but i havent heard anything about them. ofcourse there's also focal's amazing speakers.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Have you looked into the MMC6500's? The basket on them is not quite as big as the MM6's.

If not, go with the 5250's.

I would stay away form Infinity. WAY too bright and harsh for my taste. I had a set of their speakers once..........ONCE!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    I would stay away form Infinity. WAY too bright and harsh for my taste. I had a set of their speakers once..........ONCE!

I agree on that, I've ran their speakers before and while they sounded good the highs were on the harsh side...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • black magic
    edited February 2007
    what do you think about infinity's subs, though? My friend has a pair and was convincing me to get a pair also. But i heard too many good things about Polk.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2007
    I hear the Perfects are good subs. Polks are good as well.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • DemonAstroth
    edited February 2007
    I actually have a pair of 10 inch Infinity Kappa Perfects... and they are great.

They are very loud, and very clear. I went from some Alpines to these, and I was impressed.

In fact, that is the reason why I looked for Infinity speakers for the front... but the metal tweeters really turn me off.

Thanks everyone, now one thing is for sure:

No infinity speakers for me...

I'm still not sure as to which to get. I"m afraid to get the MMC6500's to find out (again) that they won't fit...

I think the 5250's may be a good choice.

I dont' want to spend over 200 dollars though, so I think the focals are out of the question.

What about Alpine Type R's? Or Diamond? (5.25 components)

Demon
  • DemonAstroth
    edited February 2007
    I just looked at some MMC525's.... they have crossovers, but are the tweeters removable? I would like them in the A pillar, not below in the door.

Maybe only the 5250's?

Demon
  • Joelsbass
    edited February 2007
    what do you think about infinity's subs, though? My friend has a pair and was convincing me to get a pair also. But i heard too many good things about Polk.

I'd pick polk over infinity for sound quality, for volume while still getting good sound quality i'd go with MTX.

I personally really like Adire but they're probably more than you're looking to spend (over 300/sub for most of their lines)

• black magic
    edited February 2007
    thanks, but if i was willing to spend that much, i'd prolly go with the SR line. I never pump up the volume all the way when i'm listening to music so i think the 12" momo was an excellent choice for me. I just wish i had gotten dvc's instead :(
  • DemonAstroth
    edited February 2007
    So does anyone have any comments/experience/opinions on:

1) Alpine SPR 13S

2) Diamond S500a or S500s

3) Polk MMC5250

I believe the Polks are right in the middle of price, but I would like to know if the Alpine's are comparable, as they are much cheaper. Same with the diamond. Is the extra price actually worth something, or are they just overpriced?

Thanks all... I NEED front speakers!

Demon
  • black magic
    edited February 2007
    Well i'll vouch that polk has great quality speakers, and although some do think they are overpirced, i think you get your money's worth. especially when purchased on sale. Alpine also has pretty decent components. although i've never owned a pair i have heard them perform and they're quite nice, imo.

dont mean to hi-jack ur thread, but since we're on the topic of front speakers, i actually have a little dilemma also. I bought the mmc6500 and the mmc525. Originally I wanted to use the 6.5's for the front so i can mount the tweeters in an a-pillar. and keep the 5.25" as rear fill. Do you think it'll be better this way or should i switch the 6.5" to the back and use the 5.25" up front?
  • Joelsbass
    edited February 2007
    and keep the 5.25" as rear fill.

rear fill is evil.... keep the 6.5's up front and fade toward the front to get a decent soundstage...

Personally I don't even have rear speakers...

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Im with Joel. Keep the 6.5's up front.

Rear fill is ok if you haul passengers around a lot and want them to have good tunes as well, but for your listening, rear speakers arent the best.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2007
    Rear fill can work if you delay the sound from the rear speakers and have them at alot lower level than the front speakers. This can create a more spacious type of sound. The trick is to not really be able to tell that they are even on, until you disengage them.

I have a couple of settings with rear fill. One for me only (for when I am listening to certain types of music), and one for when I have passengers. Most of the time though, if I am alone I just run my front speakers. It is very nice having a HU that allows me to have all these settings ready to go with just a couple buttons being pushed.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • DemonAstroth
    edited February 2007
    Well... so far no one really knows. I"m really leaning towards the MMC5250's. Polk certainly hasn't disappointed.

I wish I knew of car audio shops around so that I could actually listen to the speakers instead of buying off of specs. and people's opinions though.

I love my Polk speakers though, and if my rear DB6500's are very clear, I think the MMC's should be even more so. Maybe not as loud being that the woofer is only 5.25, but hopefully good enough.

Yesterday I decided to just fade everything to the front (DB640's), and I was actually happily surprised. They're not super loud but a lot of midrange was there, which for 4x6's speakers is a lot to say. I really want to upgrade to have the highs (tweeters) in the stock location though (A pillar).

Enough with my ramblings, anyone knows where's the best place to find some MMC5250's?

Demon
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2007
    Stay far away from woofersetc.com........ and then when you think you are far enough back up a little more.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin