New Wii has me wanting a new projector

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited February 2008 in The Clubhouse
After playing the Wii on the 51" Hitachi upstairs I couldn't help but wonder how much better it would be on a 100" 16:9 screen in the basement theater, using the new Mitsubishi HD1000U 720p DLP projector ($850). I used to have an Infocus X1 down there with surround sound but after not using it much I took it down. With my friend, 3D Studio Max 8, I decided to recreate my basement, to scale, with the Hiachi and 100" screen, to scale. Here's the difference. You tell me what you think!
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    lol......i think the time you spent with the program should have been spent starting the researching/purchasing power.......just.......do...........it.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2007
    Well, you wouldn't have to worry about losing your grip and smashing your TV!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Mazeroth
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    lol......i think the time you spent with the program should have been spent starting the researching/purchasing power.......just.......do...........it.........

Nah, that took me a whole 10 minutes to make. The program is very easy to use, once you know how to use it :D

I'm 100% going to get the HD1000U but I was trying to decide on which size screen to get and how my speakers setup would work and all. It's between a 92", 100", and 106". I used to have a 73" 16:9 screen down there with the X1 and it was fine and dandy. I'm sure the 92" will be plenty big.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Mazeroth wrote:
    I'm sure the 92" will be plenty big.
    But are you sure?

:D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2007
    Go for the platinum, 106"
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    Mazeroth wrote:
    You tell me what you think!

I'll be over with my racquet this weekend!
  • Mazeroth
    edited February 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    I'll be over with my racquet this weekend!

Did you buy that device that allows you to turn the Wiimote into a raquet, golf club and a baseball bat? If so, is it worth it?
  • Mazeroth
    edited February 2007
    Polk65 wrote:

Very familiar with that site, but thanks anyhow for posting it. It's VERY cool!
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 511
    edited February 2007
    We play our Wii on the projector, it is simply amazing. It is about 109" diag. We just bought new controllers to play the split screen 2 person. I made up a battery driven sensor bar out of IR leds that works great also..no wire.
    Matthew
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason

HT

Yamaha RX-V2500
    CS400-Center
    SDA 1A-Mains
    RT20-Surround
    None right now-Rears
    SVS 20-39PCi
    Infocus IN72
  • Mazeroth
    edited February 2007
    masanz1 wrote:
    We play our Wii on the projector, it is simply amazing. It is about 109" diag. We just bought new controllers to play the split screen 2 person. I made up a battery driven sensor bar out of IR leds that works great also..no wire.

VERY COOL! I was just talking to my brother about how the IR bar works and how it isn't actually used for aiming, rather it's just there to let the wiimote know it's in the proper vicinity. Do you have any info you can share as to how you made it or a site that outlines it?

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    Ya, i already brought this up. The Wii sports bowling kicks A$$. And like i said 6 years ago when i got my first little Infocus, front projection rules. Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • noimposse
    noimposse Posts: 264
    edited February 2007
    I believe I read something on Engadget/Gizmodo a few days back about one of the third party companies making a wireless sensor bar. You could probably snag one of those and mod to to support the larger screen. May be easier to hook things up that way...maybe.
    Ghetto Rig
    Power: HK AVR245.
    Screen: LG 24" 1080p.
    Speaks: Rti4.
    Source: PC. PS3. Xbox360.
    Cables: BlueJeans. Monoprice.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    If you had one of those older 3 CRT projectors you could do an engulfing angle. A ")" shaped screen the full size of the end of the room.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2008
    madmax wrote: »
    If you had one of those older 3 CRT projectors you could do an engulfing angle. A ")" shaped screen the full size of the end of the room.

I have to try this someday...when I get back into CRT projectors :)

Now why is the Wii STILL so hard to find? It seems like are impossible to get as of the past month!!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • bradm6406
    bradm6406 Posts: 39
    edited February 2008
    I've got a 109" screen that is painted on the wall using screen Goo (http://www.goosystems.com/) and it looks very good. If you use the Goo then you can make the screen any size you want, you don't have to be stuck to standard pull down screen sizes.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to be framing my screen out with wood trim to finish off the look.