Snow Patrol - Eyes Open Quick Review

Options
ledhed
ledhed Posts: 1,088
edited February 2007 in Music & Movies
I have no clue if anybody here is a Snow Patrol fan but I sure am. I recently got the new CD, Eyes Open from yourmusic.com and it is definitely a continuation in the same vein as Final Straw.

The music is very similar to Final Straw just sort of happier and "bigger", which is definitely a sonic improvement. The lack of distinction between instruments has been rectified a bit, it is still pretty much impossible to tell just what the hell their playing but it doesn't sound like a huge mess of sound.

The style is 100% a progression from Final Straw and adds a very polished feeling.

The overall SQ is good and better than average for these types of bands.
If you liked Final Straw, this is a no-brainer.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
Post edited by ledhed on

Comments

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Is this the album with that song about watching cars? I hope the rest of the album is better, that song makes me want to shoot myself.
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Is this the album with that song about watching cars? I hope the rest of the album is better, that song makes me want to shoot myself.
    Yup... Don't pick it up... Cause of suicide is not something I could handle :p:D
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited February 2007
    Options
    If the rest of the album is better, I would give it a try. If all of the other songs are like that one though, I couldn't handle that.
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    Options
    The rest of it isn't like the song exactly but I can't say its better. There are songs I like much more than Chasing Cars but, I'm a college student; we have odd taste in music I believe :D

I usually do 30 second previews of the top three or four songs on iTunes to determine if an album I'm questioning would be good or not.
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Ah, ok. I am only 24, and have some odd tastes as well. That song just doesn't agree with me though.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Their first album is good, but this one is terrible.
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Demiurge wrote:
    I haven't listened to their pre-Final Straw stuff but heard it was garbage, I may need to reevaluate then.

There are a few songs that aren't so hot on Eyes Open and more than likely I will end up preferring Final Straw after I get more time behind this album but, I still feel as though they have polished themselves. But, my views may be skewed since the last CD I got was the new, pathetic Damien Rice.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    Options
    The polished sound is exactly the problem. Now they just sound like a bunch of bitchy whiny Scots.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    edited February 2007
    Options
    ledhed wrote:
    But, my views may be skewed since the last CD I got was the new, pathetic Damien Rice.
    I was not impressed with his most recent CD maybe one or two songs on it. His O album was better than his recent 9.
  • ledhed
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Willow wrote:
    I was not impressed with his most recent CD maybe one or two songs on it. His O album was better than his recent 9.

Definitely.

I posted my thoughts on it here: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48204
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2007
    Options
    My wife loves these guys. Me, I keep thinking their a coldplay knockoff. It's ok for background music.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Demiurge wrote:

Agreed. Has anyone noticed the melodic repetition besides me? It's boring and unoriginal. I was very disappointed.