Anyone own the new VW GTI?

wallstreet
wallstreet Posts: 1,405
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
I've been eyeing this car for awhile. I haven't taken it for a spin yet, but I already know I'll like it. Anyone bought this car yet?
Post edited by wallstreet on

Comments

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2007
    I have driven this car many times, but not had the $$ to buy one. I will say this; buy the DSG. I have driven the six speed and the DSG, and the DSG blows it away. It is truly seamless. I got the chance to trade my Jetta for the day with my friend, and that car got the run of it's life. It is completely possible to hit triple digits on an on-ramp by the way. As soon as I get out of the Army and have a decent job, this will be the first addition to the stable. Get the 18's. If you don't like them, you will find someone to buy them for a lot more than the $750 price tag on your invoice. If you can afford/wait it out, get the 30th anniversary or the Fahrenheit edition. Those are sick.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2007
    Use to sell VW's... I can't expound now, as I'm running late for work, but trust me... the GTI is a truly bada@@ driving machine.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• wallstreet
    edited February 2007
    You can't get this car without the DSG tranny. Plus my wife can't drive a stick. I may have to keep three cars so she can have a junk car to park at the airport (flight attendant). As soon as my unemployment ends, I'm heading to the VW dealer.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited February 2007
    wallstreet wrote:
    You can't get this car without the DSG tranny. Plus my wife can't drive a stick. I may have to keep three cars so she can have a junk car to park at the airport (flight attendant). As soon as my unemployment ends, I'm heading to the VW dealer.

Are you talking about the R32 GTI?

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vortex_news/article_1926.shtml

That's the model (only 5000) available that only comes with the DSG. The standard GTI is avail with DSG or 6MT. I have owned almost every gen GTI. Currently own a modded MK III VR6. They are very well equiped cars very plush on materials and very well built. They aren't w/o their nagging mech problems which can be avoided (for the most part) by following the maintenance religiously.

They are a complete blast to drive (esp. the VR6). The DSG tranny is simply awesome, very similar in perf. to the F1 Ferrari gearbox in how it performs. It's a twin clutch design that doesn't rely on computer shift points or a torque converter to switch gears. It has 3 modes; auto; sport auto; completely manual. I hate auto's never owned anything but a manual and everytime I drive a DSG equipped car I just smile. The std GTI comes with the new 2.0 turbo direct injection (FSI) engine which is really leaps and bounds above the old 1.8 Turbo. Not sure if they are/will offer a VR6 model other than the special edition R32.

They have really gotten pricey, but you get a lot for your money if you can look past the fact that it's a hatch back. Many American's feel a hatch back is a cheap car. When it comes to the GTI, the last generation and the new generation are finally getting back to the roots of what the original Rabbit GTI stood for.

I could go on and on as I am a huge V-dub enthusiast. :D
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007
    Also have to add that it going to be all but impossible to get an R32. In 2004 when the last generation R32 was introduced (same 5000 units) people were selling their places in line on e-bay for upto $2-5K. This was just to get an opportunity to have a chance to buy one from the dealer which in the very beginning were marked up over sticker.

This year they are asking current R32 owners and current GTI owners for the first right of refusal. Then there will be a lottery system in place for the rest of the allotment. I beleive the current R32 will list at around $35K and then expect to pay a % over sticker if you want to be among the very first owners when it's avail in late August.

I say go for the GTI 2.0T FSI. Sure you won't get the cool R32 accessories, but it will still be an awesome car and still 4/5th's of an R32. You'll loose that super smooth VR6; about 50 hp; all wheel drive; slightly stiffer suspension and super cool Recaro racing seats. You can buy all the R32 accessories from the dealer to add to your std GTI. An aftermarket Bilstein and H & R suspension will be better than the std R32 suspension anyways.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007
    Must stay away from R32 :D
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited February 2007
    This is the one I want. There will be only 1200 of them.
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited February 2007
    This is the other one I was talking about. the 30th Edition. Those seats are killer!
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007

Only 1200 because of the color which is the exact same paint used on the Lamborghini. They will also have a special ed. Yellow (Lambo color) car that is limited to 1200 also. Pure marketing, but cool nonetheless.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    heiney9 wrote:
    Only 1200 because of the color which is the exact same paint used on the Lamborghini.

I was driving yesterday and a Murcielago Coupe in just that color pulled out from the airport next to me on the highway. We drove along for several miles. The sound of that car was cool. I eventually blew him away and he faded into the background.

I have driven a couple of the new GTIs. A very nice car.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I saw a Gallardo running through town a few weeks ago. He was scootin'. And I must say, haven always been a huge fan of that BB V8 exhaust note with a lopey idle...that thing sounded sweet!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • wallstreet
    edited February 2007
    I'm looking at the 2.0T. I shot an email to the local VW dealer since they said they have special pricing for American Airline employees. I'm sure the other VW dealer in town will be more than happy to match.
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited February 2007
    Just so you know, invoice on a GTI with package 1 and 18s is 24.5k. Found this out from a friend at VW.
  • wallstreet
    edited February 2007
    That matches the internet information.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    My co-worker tried to drive a VW in our bay the other day...he couldnt get it in reverse...lol. That car had the most incredibly annoying door chime I've ever heard...ever
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    That car had the most incredibly annoying door chime I've ever heard...ever
    -Cody

Yeah, definetly don't buy it then!!! Annoying door chimes are usually deal breakers. Get a Pontiac G5 or something with a cool door chime, because I always drive with the door open.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2007
    H9 - just make sure you buy a new one by October. That way we can break it in proper by roadtripping to PolkFest '07 :D
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007
    dkg999 wrote:
    H9 - just make sure you buy a new one by October. That way we can break it in proper by roadtripping to PolkFest '07 :D

LOL.......I'm not really in the market for a new car, but anything is possible especially when it comes to getting to PF '07 in style :D
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007

Just announced

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/volkswagen_news/article_1935.shtml

H9
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    I bought a new GTI in 1987, I absolutely LOVED that car, and not a day goes by that I don't miss it. I use to run that sucker on the autobahn at 130+mph, like a train on the tracks.

Quick as hell, sticks to the road, wonderfully solid build.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007
    steveinaz wrote:
    I bought a new GTI in 1987, I absolutely LOVED that car, and not a day goes by that I don't miss it. I use to run that sucker on the autobahn at 130+mph, like a train on the tracks.

Quick as hell, sticks to the road, wonderfully solid build.

That's how I feel every spring/summer day in my 1997 VR6 GTI. Bilsteins/H&R springs, Techtonics SS exhaust w/Borla Muffler, GIAC tuning chip, Air intake, short shift kit, Momo pedals and gear knob. Super sticky Yokohama's. It runs real quick and is a blast to drive and listen to that glorius VR6 motor at full throttle.

Almost as much fun as a good 2-channel system :p:D

Still fun in the winter, but not as much.

EDIT: Sorry, I've mentioned my mods earlier and don't mean to repeat, but it sure is a Hella fun car to drive. (pun intended)
  • tentoze
    tentoze Posts: 133
    edited February 2007
    The ex bought a used R32 a couple of months ago. I drove it a bit last month- handles like a slot car and is indecently quick, damned comfortable as well. Most fun I've had driving an automobile in a long time.
  • heiney9
    edited February 2007
    tentoze wrote:
    The ex bought a used R32 a couple of months ago. I drove it a bit last month- handles like a slot car and is indecently quick, damned comfortable as well. Most fun I've had driving an automobile in a long time.

The R32 is the really the ultimate factory GTi. Damn pricey, but in the end worth it. The GTi has grown up, put on some weight and become much more civilized than the very 1st or even 2nd generation GTi. Aftermarket for me is not about making it a boy racer, just about making it a bit less civilized. My VR6 is a bit throatier and WOT sends shivers up my spine because of the combo exhaust and air intake.

Lowering it by almost 2 inches and really stiffing up the suspension with the right combo of Bilstein sport shocks and H&R springs makes a huge difference. I will say on our cruddy midwest streets there are times it's even a bit to harsh for me, but the trade-off on the back twisties is definately worth it. Slot car +10 :D . However even with snow tires in the winter that damn snow gets packed in the wheel wells and with limited clearence is a **** to get out.

The performance chip makes the biggest difference. Throttle response is so much better as is the midrange torque and upper RPM is a real hoot now. Seat of the pants tells it all, again not without trade-offs. Lesser gas mileage and I have to use 93 octane with the fuel and timing maps the chip incorporates.

All in all a great fun and a blast to drive on the open road. I guess this is a long post..............thanks for the indulgence.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2007
    heiney9 wrote:

That car rocks!

And I want that castle/house in the background. Totally sweet.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier