Hole cutting for subs....

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,624
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a dremel that i was going to use to cut a circular hole for my sub, but the thing apparently is a POS that doesn't have any desire to cut more than 1/8" every 3-5 minutes, so that's not gonna happen (yes, I'm using the right bit).

Is a jigsaw the best thing to do this or are there better tools to cut a very round hole?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    Interesting, but I'm wanting to go and get something tonight so I can get this part of the project done and finished.........

EDIT: Looks like the router is probably the best way to go with this. I'm sure they've got something at HD to cut circles with........thanks for that.......i don't do the whole woodworking thing usually so i didn't even think of a router.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    You can try to cut close with a jig saw, and then use a drum sander to clean the edges. You can get small drum sanders at lowes or home depot for about $10. It fits in any drill.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dolfan87
    dolfan87 Posts: 114
    edited February 2007
    Brett- The router and circle jig is the best way to cut the wood, however if you are careful and go slowly, a jigsaw will work just fine.
    1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • lpreston
    lpreston Posts: 35
    edited February 2007
    The less teeth on the blade, the better. Go slow and nobody will know what you cut it with (especially with the sub mounted).
    Panasonic CQ-TX5500 Japanese Tube
    PrecisionPower DCX-730 Processor
    McIntosh MMC446
    polkaudio SR6500 x2
    polkaudio SR104DVC x 2
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    But a router with a jig is professional looking at its highest...
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    since everyone sees the hole that you cut under the sub...

use a jig saw.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    Wow......HD doesn't have the circular tool for routers, so I got a rotozip. I went around that thing in about 2 minutes and it was perfect.

All in all, not a terrible $80 (tool, plus $20 circle attachment)..........
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    Wow......HD doesn't have the circular tool for routers, so I got a rotozip. I went around that thing in about 2 minutes and it was perfect.

All in all, not a terrible $80 (tool, plus $20 circle attachment)..........

100 for a one time thing, a cheapo jigsaw what have taken care of you

but now you can sell the used roto to me :D
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Ive never used anything but a jigsaw for hole cutting. Hell Ive built all my boxes with nothing but a jigsaw.

God Id give anything for a table saw......and a place to use it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:

I know what ya mean... can't wait to live somewhere with a garage so i can get some of those 'MAN TOOLS' i always drool over at stores... Table Saws, circular saws, lathes, full sized tool boxes and the likes...

oh for a garage and a $10,000 shopping spree :D
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • exalted512
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    Hell Ive built all my boxes with nothing but a jigsaw.
    and some of them only have 4 sides!!! Hes a talented **** with a jigsaw;)
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    -Cody

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • lpreston
    lpreston Posts: 35
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    -Cody

This I gotta see..:D
    Panasonic CQ-TX5500 Japanese Tube
    PrecisionPower DCX-730 Processor
    McIntosh MMC446
    polkaudio SR6500 x2
    polkaudio SR104DVC x 2
  • Deadof_knight
    edited February 2007
    Ive used only a jig saw and things are always a lill off the holes always have a coned entry , Corners arent perefect and have since moved on too better fitment with better tools. This wont be the only time he uses this tool He will use this dremel thing over and over there are so many different uses its a great tool.

We all start somewhere and end up somewhere else by learning from our ways....

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    -Cody

Dont you have an install to finish?
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    oops.....
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Priceless!
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    Dont you have one to START?
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    LOL!

Im actually heading out to the car right now to do some "scouting" to see how much of a problem Im going to have.

Man this car is built really tight and there aint a whole lot of room to squeeze wiring thru. Should be a chore.

• exalted512
    edited February 2007
    Good luck finding a spot to get your power wire through the firewall :D

Hope you have a good set of drill bits
    -Cody
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited February 2007
    I've used nothing better for hole cutting in thick MDF than my Ryobi 18 Volt "Roto Tool" it's pretty much a clone of the RotoZip, came in my Ryobi 6-Pack setup and uses high speed steel side cutting bits (sort of like two fluted end mills) and will plunge into 3/4" MDF and cut it like nobody's buisness. It also has a cicle attatchment so you drill a small pilot hole in the center, adjust for the diameter of the hole and in a minute you have a perfectly round hole.
  • Deadof_knight
    edited February 2007
    The rotozip and ryobis have remade the market in alot of areas nice tolls they are ...

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2007
    MacLeod wrote:

I'm sure we could work something out. Use of our garage/workshop for an award-winning install;) Only 45 minutes away after all :D
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    Good luck finding a spot to get your power wire through the firewall :D

Hope you have a good set of drill bits
    -Cody

You aint kidding!!!

The door panels dont seem like theyre going to be a problem. The tweeter will be a pain in the **** but shouldnt be anything major.

But running the power wire is going to be the biggest ****!! I can see anywhere I could run it thru!! God Im not looking forward to that at all.

I almost think I might farm that job out. Run down to Radio Clinic and see what theyll charge me to run the power wire back to the trunk.

I did figure out where Im going to put my subs and amp rack tho. Gonna stick it in the front of the trunk with the sub firing into the car thru the seats and then make the amp board completely hide the sub box with the amps, processor and dist block (yes Ill be using a dist block) all mounted to it.

I also think I found a good LLC. This one from David Navone. http://davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm Its the NE-7V

Claims to turn an OEM head unit's output signal to a better one than that of an aftermarket HU! $20, wouldnt be losing much if I tried it and it didnt work.

• exalted512
    edited February 2007
    I thought you didnt use dave navone equipment?

Hopefully those doors arent like my g/f's civic, otherwise, if youre planning on putting the 6.5s in the door, youre going to need something to cut metal. For you and youre apartment situation, I recommend the $15 grinder from Harbor Freight. Worked wonders on my truck when I was making the hole for my 8's
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, Im still steamed about the crap he pulled about a year ago but if he's got stuff that works, I might as well buy from him.

Have any idea how much a JL CleanSweep is? That is the ideal thing I need. Uses DSP to flatten the signal, then bumps it up with an 8 volt RMS line driver AND has signal sensing turn on and will provide a turn on lead for my amps.

So the 6.5's wont work in the Civic??? I hope they fit in the Accord. If I cut metal, that bumps me up a class......thats not good!

• brettw22
    edited February 2007
    I don't know what the guy did at the tweeter, but 6.5s go into an accord...........but they do push the factory speaker cover out a little bit causing some rattling..........more so on my passenger door, but irritating nonetheless
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Thats irritating.

Guess Ill have to figure something out on that too.

• exalted512
    edited February 2007
    Well, the stock speaker was a 6.5, but the way it was setup the basket was on the outside of the door panel and the only thing that went through the metal was the magnet.

CleanSweep are just shy of $300 I think...Shouldve went with the 360.2 instead of the H701...you wouldnt be worrying about using the stock HU
    -Cody