Be careful what kind of gum you buy, dog owners

Mazeroth
Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
My Mom just sent me this e-mail. Thought I'd pass it on to you guys and gals:

Please pass this information on even if you do not have a dog. This is not an Urban legend, nor an email hoax. I saw the news station announcement myself, and it is legitimate.

A Cleveland, OH news station, this week ran this information and it is indeed true. Katie had been getting into my gum, if I left it around where she can get into it. She never used to get into my purse, nor climb on a chair to retrieve gum, but for some reason, has been in the last few months. Fortunately, I chew Dentyne Ice and Extra, both sugar-free as well, but, thank goodness, neither contain Xylitol.

Orbit and another newer sugar-free gum out now, call Stride ,contain Xylitol. The gum companies have been contacted , and supposedly stated they will now put better warning labels on their product, but my concern is that the majority of the public probably does not find the need to read the gum's ingredients.

The veterinarian, on this Cleveland news station stated that some dogs die within minutes of ingesting the gum with this Xylitol's ingredient.

I am trying to get the word out to all dog owners, and in the hopes that they, in turn will forward this to others out there.

It was also stated on this newscast not to harm cats nor humans, but only dogs. If you desire, there is an address below describing the information concerning this danger I found utilizing Google.com for further verification.

http://www.holisticvets.com/NewsLetter/ChewingGum/ChewingGumNewsletter.htm
Post edited by Mazeroth on

Comments

• Mazeroth
    edited February 2007
    27 hours later and this only has 34 views. I am shocked. Seriously.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    Maybe a lot people here don't let their dogs chew gum?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    4 out of 5 polkies surveyed say dogs and gum just don't mix. (but it can do wonders for their breath)
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Read it, told my wife, and I thank you.
  • Mazeroth
    edited February 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Maybe a lot people here don't let their dogs chew gum?

You son of a ****!!!!!

:eek:
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the info. We'll keep better tabs on where we put our gum. I've got one big **** Rottie & his head can literally lay on the kitchen table without even stretching. He's nabbed a few items off the table & counters before. He ate a whole box of chocolates once, never got sick though. I also heard that chocolate can kill a dog. I guess he's got a cast iron stomach. I've heard of child proofing a house for toddlers, but now I guess we have to dog proof our house. What next? Yeah,I know, get a smaller dog!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    My dogs can blow the little bubble inside the big bubble.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2007
    thanks, will pass on.

I remember once, we went up to the cottage and my mom said they took all the mouse poison blocks out. Well they left one and we think Willow ate a tiny piece. well we called our vet and they made us give her a shot glass of warm water with lots of salt. Salt in mass makes dogs puke. Well It broke my heart to shove it down her throat and watch her gag and dry heave till what ever was in her lil gut came out. I felt so bad, but I knew it was the right thing to do. So from a dog owner thanks for this bit of info you passed on.
  • Mazeroth
    edited February 2007
    No problemo. My mother in-law uses 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to make her Jack Russels throw up whenever they get into something they shouldn't (ALL the time). She just pours it down their throats and in no time, they're puking like crazy! I don't know if this is safe but she's always done this and they're relatively old.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2007
    My vet recommended the Hydrogen Peroxide so I think its safe. When my oldest dog was a puppy he would chew and eat everything. We had to use the peroxide when he swallowed a huge chuck of a bath towel. Didn't want him getting clogged up :)
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited February 2007
    Mazeroth wrote:
    27 hours later and this only has 34 views. I am shocked. Seriously.
    No doggies in this house... well, our son is only 11, he'll turn into a horn dog pretty soon.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the info. We'll keep better tabs on where we put our gum. I've got one big **** Rottie & his head can literally lay on the kitchen table without even stretching. He's nabbed a few items off the table & counters before. He ate a whole box of chocolates once, never got sick though. I also heard that chocolate can kill a dog. I guess he's got a cast iron stomach. I've heard of child proofing a house for toddlers, but now I guess we have to dog proof our house. What next? Yeah,I know, get a smaller dog!!

Ya forgot to mention the chuck he took out of my belly!!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    PhantomOG wrote:
    My vet recommended the Hydrogen Peroxide so I think its safe. When my oldest dog was a puppy he would chew and eat everything. We had to use the peroxide when he swallowed a huge chuck of a bath towel. Didn't want him getting clogged up :)

My Moose when he was a pup would chew and eat everything is site also. What stopped him was he chewed a lamp cord that was plugged in. He stopped chewing anything but food.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited February 2007
    Ya forgot to mention the chuck he took out of my belly!!!!

That was a love nip, he's really a sweetheart. By the way, a chunk out of your belly didn't even put a dent in it!!! Look at me talking about bellies!!!! Like I've got room to talk. He want's to know when you're coming back so he can finish the job. He's HUNGRYYYYYY!!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • hearingimpared
    edited February 2007
    That was a love nip, he's really a sweetheart. By the way, a chunk out of your belly didn't even put a dent in it!!! Look at me talking about bellies!!!! Like I've got room to talk. He want's to know when you're coming back so he can finish the job. He's HUNGRYYYYYY!!!

In all fairness to the big galute I did rough neck his sore ear. . .his is a big gentle puppy dog but you should definintely have a sign up. . .beware of ear!!!

Boy PHil imagine what would have happened if he bit me about 5 inches lower. . . I'd be singing soprano!!!
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2007
    I dunno about this. I call BS. I haven't done any research on it yet, but just the whole way it's written, reminds me of those form emails that used to go around big time... Anytime someone has to claim, "This is legitimate" I start to scratch my head and think...

I think it was Dentyne Ice and Extra who are both scared that Orbit will take all their business from them. Because Orbit rocks!

Anyways
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2007
    Don't let your dog eat a bunch of pop rocks and then drink soda either....baaaaaddddddd! :D
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2007
    Our local news did a big expose on this yesterday. Something about the dogs intestines would get cooked by eating the gum because of the chemical in it. It's definitely not B.S.

Must have been a slow news day. Ah well, I think we're in the clear at my house. The dog swears by Big League Chew, and that's not on the ban list. ;)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    edited February 2007
    fireshoes wrote:
    Don't let your dog eat a bunch of pop rocks and then drink soda either....baaaaaddddddd! :D

No, you mean Mentos and any Cola product. :D:)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    Interesting. I just learned about the dogs/chocolate thing a few years ago.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Mazeroth
    edited February 2007
    MrNightly wrote:
    I dunno about this. I call BS. I haven't done any research on it yet, but just the whole way it's written, reminds me of those form emails that used to go around big time... Anytime someone has to claim, "This is legitimate" I start to scratch my head and think...

I think it was Dentyne Ice and Extra who are both scared that Orbit will take all their business from them. Because Orbit rocks!

Anyways

My wife's best friend just graduated with her Vet MD last month. She is well aware of this and so are the otehrs in her class.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2007
    PhantomOG wrote:

When a dog overheats and pants to much their airpipes can close up. This has happened before to my Bully and so I was recommended by the trainer to keep lemon juice around. He hated the stuff and runs away but it works well. I have read in a book that cola or lemon/lime soda can do the same thing so I keep those too but have not tried them yet. Just a good thing to have because my dog also eats everything. I did not know about the Peroxide though. Thanks for the tip.
    Venom
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    steveinaz wrote:
    Interesting. I just learned about the dogs/chocolate thing a few years ago.
    This really depends on the size of the dog. A single chocolate bar can kill a small dog (under 10 pounds). It would take alot of them to impact my St. Bernard though.

Either way - She still doesn't get much human food at all and no sweets. (including chocolate and bubble gum.)
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    This really depends on the size of the dog. A single chocolate bar can kill a small dog (under 10 pounds). It would take alot of them to impact my St. Bernard though.

Either way - She still doesn't get much human food at all and no sweets. (including chocolate and bubble gum.)

St. Bernard, wow, a big guy. I was at a dog training class with my bully, there was a couple that had a St. Bernard and a chihuahua. The chihuahua was the older dog and was dominating the St. Bernard with growls and barks. The St. Bernard just sat there. It was funny as hell to see.
    Venom
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited February 2007
    Also, the way I understand it, with some dogs chococlate has no effect, others can die from it. The problem is, you don't know how your dog will react.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • TennesseeOutlaw
    TennesseeOutlaw Posts: 414
    edited February 2007
    This ingredient only affects dogs? How about cats? Most of my friends, as well as myself, have cats.. Thanks..
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    Also if any of you guys use "Swifter" products on your floors,
    not good for animals as they contain some of the same chems as
    anti-freeze.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2007
    tonyb wrote:
    Also if any of you guys use "Swifter" products on your floors,
    not good for animals as they contain some of the same chems as
    anti-freeze.

Not to be the Snopes police, but the swiffer one isn't true.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited February 2007
    Didn't realize there was something out there de-bunking that one.
    Thanks for the heads up
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's