Sound Deadening?

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've started thinking about sound deadening my Jeep. It looks as if I'll be keeping it (instead of selling it and getting the Jetta...if you even remember that), so I'm definitely going to be putting my system back in it.

There are tons of creaks and rattles, so I've been wanting to snuff them out somehow, anyways. I figure if I put some sound deadening in there it would definitely help with those, make it quieter (and help keep the music in the Jeep, too!), and *maybe* even help with 'insulation', so to speak.

What I have in mind is taking out all the carpet (and keeping it in my room until I'm done with the project?), molding, door panels, seats, etc. except the driver's seat (so I can still driving since I don't plan on finishing this in one afternoon). Then layning down dynamat, I guess, all over the floor, the sides, the doors....everywhere...except the ceiling.

What's that sound like? Would it make a noticeable improvement? Would it make a massive improvement? How much would it cost? Would it be worth it? What kind of material should I use? Is dynamat good? Is there better for less? Is there a different type of material that'd work better?

What I'm most worried about is the dynamat adding so much thickness that the carpet and molding and such won't go back in place very easily.

What are y'all's thoughts?
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited February 2007
    I did this on my last vehicle. I used the stuff from Circuit city. It was a big pain to get the rear deck put back together (98 grand prix) but the results were well worth it. I had a lot reverberations which made the bass sound horrible. Added the sound deadening pretty much removed this issue.

I currently have a little from second skin where I mounted my SR6500's. Once it warms up I'll do the doors completly with the stuff. If I add a sub, I'd definatly apply it to my trunk too.

Its not very difficult to do, I think the only place I had a hard time with was my read deck. Doors and trunk were a piece of cake.

Howie
  • dolfan87
    dolfan87 Posts: 114
    edited February 2007
    www.secondskinaudio.com

It does wonders. I used Dynomat x-treme everywhere on my 70 Mach 1 Mustang, and it made a huge difference.

Second skin is every bit as good, and a lot cheaper.
    1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    Dolfan beat me to the second skin plug lol.

I'm going to be using their liquid dampener later this summer, lay down a few coats and you'll get as much dampening as you would from dynamat with less thickness and much better cost/sq. foot.
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    After all the deadening i did with second skin, you still want to use that dynamat crap???
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    I never thought I'd be in this hobby so deep as to ever even think about deadening my car...you think I read your threads any deeper than necessary to poke at you for being so slow?? ;):D

I'll have to look into the second skin, I guess.

What about the pros/cons of matting versus the liquid stuff? How do you apply the liquid stuff?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Damping your car will make a dramatic difference. Not just in deadening road noise but killing a lot of resonance as well. You can never have too much.

Im not too big on the liquid stuff. I think the sheets are the best way to go.

I prefer Dynamat Extreme. I can get it at my local shop as cheap as anything on the internet when you consider shipping.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    $75 shipped will get you enough to cover 40 sq ft with the liquid stuff...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    After talking to Cody a bit on AIM (thanks, d00d!!), I think I've decided on two gallons of Second Skin's Sludge.

Now, I just have to persuade Dad to give the go ahead, and then come up with some money! Thencome up with some time to apply it.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    Sound deadeninbg a Jeep? Is it even possible? I've always gone with just excessive amounts of power to play louder than the creaks and rattles!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    Jstas wrote:
    Sound deadeninbg a Jeep? Is it even possible? I've always gone with just excessive amounts of power to play louder than the creaks and rattles!

Depends on the jeep, Cherokee not so bad... wrangler, good luck lol
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited February 2007
    He has an older cherokee, those have more creaks and rattles than a wrangler. Wranglers just have tons of wind noise.

And if youve seen his videos on youtube, youll know it doesnt get treated like your grandma would treat it.
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

I'm a lot easier on it now. Well, ok...I topped it out on the way home today...but in general I am a lot easier on it.

Why the old s/n? We gonna have MTXMAN and sntsblahblahblah running around here again?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]