Ford Edge or Jeep Liberty.....

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hello

I had posted awhile back about a Ford Escape Hybrid and pretty much bagged that vehicle. We've still been looking and today we drove a Jeep Liberty and the new Ford Edge.

We liked both vehicles in their own ways....

The Jeep felt like you were driving a 4 wheel drive which as it should, nice power, very stable on gravel, maybe a little tight in the front drivers seat and passenger area. It was a pretty bare bones model...

The Edge felt like a car, little more luxurious, power was good, felt like a car on gravel too, alot more room of course, better mileage then the jeep. We like the AWD although the jeep has that selec-trac option too....

So I guess we have it narrowed down to those two, if anybody here has these two vehicles and wants to contribute to my decision would be appreciated....

Thanks
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2007
    New Honda Pilot coming out soon.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser.

The Edge is new and a Ford, 2 strikes against it. Made in Canada. Not a bad thing, but not U.S. production either.

Liberty - My mother in law had one because father in law is GM of Chrysler dealership. No events on lease, but very few miles also. Our Jeep fell apart at less than 30K. Daimler may sell Chrysler soon also.

Stick with Honda. We have had no problem with their cars or trucks for many years...
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2007
    Toyota RAV4 or Highlander.

Just my opinion
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    I can't believe that Daimer would sell Chrysler with as much money as they've been making them with the 300 and most of their subsequent designs......

What were the reasons you nixed the Escape?

I've heard nothing but good things about the Honda suv's, so checking out the new CRV might be worth a shot.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:
    I can't believe that Daimer would sell Chrysler with as much money as they've been making them with the 300 and most of their subsequent designs......

Chrysler has actually been losing money recently. Many of the Daimler execs are putting pressure on the brand to increase profits. The 300C was a hit but it is leveliing off. Chrysler tends to be a one trick pony. They are having a huge inventory problem with 100K extra unreported vehicles. They kept building and storing vehicles in airports and other lots to keep investor interest. Now they are looking at cutting a slew of jobs in 07, especially if they do not get consessions from the UAW. Time will tell.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2007
    brettw22 wrote:

What were the reasons you nixed the Escape?

I've heard nothing but good things about the Honda suv's, so checking out the new CRV might be worth a shot.

Theres nobody around here qualified to work on it.......

I guess I should have added as I did in that other thread, we're very limited here for dealerships. The Honda Toyota dealerships are 350 miles away.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    Wow.........ya, I can see how Montana can be like that. I was in Great Falls last year and drove through town in about 3 minutes.........

Whatever the distance, it's well worth it if it allows you to buy a better quality and longer lasting vehicle. Might be a full day of driving back and forth, but you'd at least settle the "what if's" in your head........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited February 2007
    My suggestion, Nissan Murano. Much nicer vehicle than either of the two. I have a 2005 Liberty on the driveway with 15k miles on it. Nothing wrong with it but it will be gone soon, just not my type of vehicle.

It's a shame if you need to pick your vehicle based on what dealerships are in the area. Puts you really in a huge disadvantage.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Man it wont be long we stop making everything no one will have a job to buy anything ........ Viscious circle comming circling the drain ......Oh .....No......
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Beekyman
    Beekyman Posts: 150
    edited February 2007
    I currently own a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have less than 62000 miles on it and so far I have been let down by the items that have failed so far. I have treated this vehicle better than any other car I have owned and so far I have been through...
    2 sets of front brake rotors-Jeep fixed issue TSB
    2 tweeters on their INFINTI sound system
    1 drivers side window motor
    1 Pressure transducer and solenoid inside the transmission @ 37,000 miles !

My friend has a 2000 Grand Cherokee and has had nothing but grief as well.
    I really like the vehicle but stuff like this has never happened to me on other vehicles on mileage this low. My old Hyundai Excel was tougher than that!
    I dont think that JEEP will be getting my dollars again.
    Good luck in your quest, let us know what you decided to get.
    2 Channel Rig
    Source 1 - Apple TV
    Source 2 - Parasound D3 Universal Player
    Source 3 - Parasound Tuner T3
    Pre-amp - Parasound HALO P3
    Amplifier - Parasound HALO A21
    Speakers - Martin Logan Vista
    Power Conditioning - Panamax M5100-EX
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited February 2007
    Jeep dropped the ball with some of the minor details, but that list really isn't bad at all. Lots of brands have brake recalls like that. The transmission issues sound like you have a 4.0 Jeep, right? The 42RE in known for those. My 1994 Grand needed them at 87K last spring.

The 2002 WJ you're driving was close the last of its kind--Jeep no longer makes a solid-axle truck other than the Wrangler. They really lost a lot of respect in offroad circles for killing the traditional Grand Cherokee in 2004. So hang onto that WJ and keep fixing it. With some minor tweaks it'll drive over most other SUVs.

For the original poster, are you looking for a car or a truck? Most women's SUVs are car-based. The Liberty isn't based on anything, but most of the drivetrain and suspension is truck-like (sadly it uses the new V6 and no front axle, though.) Mechanically it's more solid (it's quite heavy for the size) and better offroad than competing vehicles, but not as refined a ride.

I'd skip the Edge, too funky for my tastes. And it's a brand new model. Don't buy version 1.0 of anything.