Any bowlers in here?

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Eh? Anyone?

I just got into it, myself. Started about 2 weeks ago and am really enjoying it. It's good for a social time, at least :). I just bought a ball, shoes, and a bag. All in all, a worthwhile $130 investment into my life...

For those who do bowl, how good are ye? Any tips? Do you prefer synthetic or real wood lanes?

For me, I prefer synthetic lanes. Thankfully, this is what the local alley has.
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,830
    edited February 2007
    I was pretty active in leagues for a good while (since high school), til about 10 years ago, when I pretty much stopped due to a relocation/job constraint.
    I never really bowled on synthetic lanes, so I can't say whether I have a preference or not. And since you asked, my avg. at the end of the last year I bowled was 198. ;) I was looking to join a league in my area, but believe it or not, there's a shortage of alleys around here, and I'm not really willing to travel more than 10 miles each way.

As for tips, IIWY, I'd look into joining a league or two, as this will keep you in practice, as well as having access to some help with your game. It's a lot easier for someone else to see if you're doing something wrong. It's also a good way to make some good friends. Most leagues are handicapped and/or ABC Sanctioned, so it really doesn't matter how well you bowl, which should be good for me, considering how long it's been.
    Keep at it, though. Not the worst way to spend an hour or two a week, IMHO!
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2007
    Buying a ball that fits you is a must. Sounds like you did that. Work on your release. Use your fingertips to get as much spin as you can on the ball. Spin is what will get pin action. Bowling is easier to learn than golf, and like gold the mechanics are so important. Some of the better lanes have pros that can give you lessons. Watch videos, it's cheaper.

I prefer wood lanes. No "cosmic" bowling or lanes that use black lights, dayglo paint and rock music. That shite belongs in nightclubs.

Get into a coed league. You'll build friendships, drink a lot, and maybe get laid:D
    Carl

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited February 2007
    My wife and I bowl on a co-ed league and our son bowls on a youth league,he's 11...He just bowled his new high game last week...an even 200.

He has a lot of promise,if he sticks with it and works at it.

I also bowl in a 12 week Business Partners 9 pin league...4 members per team,no handicaps,total pins at the end of 12 weeks wins the pot...1K for 1st place.

It's a blast,we have a hellofa time,drinking is manditory,bowling is optional:D

We have a new alley with syn.lanes...I still prefer the wood lanes,much easier to find a "groove" for me...much more forgiving.

I'm currently at about a 190 average,one of my friends carries a 230 average,he could easily turn pro,he's had several sponcership offers,but has 2 kids and says the traveling would be too much.

It's a fun game,especially this time of year when you can't do much else.
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited February 2007
    I've bowled a game or two!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Haha, a friend and I just recently got into this. Well, we bowled three times in two weeks...and haven't done it since. Time will tell if we've 'gotten into it'.

However, it is fun. And I agree with schwarcw...it's much easier to learn than golf! However, I think I may be better at golf. If I had some informative rebukes/criticisms, it might help, but so far I've just 'learned' from watching others.

I've always bowled with all three fingers, bowling straight down the lane. Then I 'played' with just using two fingers, leaving my thumb out, and curving it. That was just for the heck of it and I always did poorly at it. However, the last few times I've bowled I've done it that way almost exclusively and really surprised myself how well I adapted to it. I think I got 3 strikes in one game. Yeah, yeah, I know...but that's good for me!

Then I saw some people spinning the ball using all three fingers...despite being sure I'd rip off a finger or two doing it like that, I tried it. That was pretty cool, too.

I think I bowled my record game a few weeks ago, what was it...I think it was a 160 something...might not have been quite that high. Maybe in the 130's....can't remember. But my first game was a 69 :D, then I moved up to a 87 :D. So I finished off the night quite well, comparatively speaking, with that 100+ game.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    I don't think I've ever cracked 100 bowling.... I suck.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2007
    I bought all new gear a year ago. Me and a friend went several times. He got married and i have not gone back yet. Sorta boring by yourself.
  • nadams
    edited February 2007
    It surely is a social sport... I went once by myself and it wasn't nearly as fun. But if you've got friends to bowl with it's a lot of fun :). I got my new ball fitted and drilled today, and will probably be going down this afternoon to try it out. They were having their bumper bowl time this morning when I went down, so I didn't figure I'd fit in very well :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2007
    Lanes are like ****, the synthetics are great to look at but there ain't nothing quite like the real thing. I bowled for about 20 yrs. and carried between 200 and 205 average. Find a good pro there that can fit you properly, both by size and the way you throw it. I burned out on it, 33 weeks a year is quite an investment but it was great when I was into it.
  • nadams
    edited February 2007
    Well, the only alley that has real wood around here hasn't been updated in decades. The original lanes still date back 50 years...

The closest place to me has newer sythetic lanes (put in 2001, I think), and is just a nicer place to bowl. They really need to expand their lanes though... they're almost always packed.

The first games with the new ball went well, I suppose. My best of the night was the last game with a 145. By the third game or so, my thumb started sticking in the ball on release. I think I need to get the hole drilled out just a tad more to compensate for my thumb swelling. Not much, though... it's pretty close.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2007
    I'm a hacker, but I've got a high game of 251. Average about 150. Bowled several leagues, just don't have times these days to get into it. Maybe when I'm older.

Fun sport though. Good for dates too... the girls seem to enjoy it. :D Err.. the Wife seems to enjoy it ;)
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited February 2007
    "Synthetic" lanes!!! Boy have I not been to a bowling alley in a few years. When did they come up with that? And are there any benefits?

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited February 2007
    joeparaski wrote:
    "Synthetic" lanes!!! Boy have I not been to a bowling alley in a few years. When did they come up with that? And are there any benefits?

Joe

Synthetics started going in about 15 or 20 years ago around here.

Are there any benefits?

Well, bowling scores are higher now than at anytime in the history of the game..way higher!
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited February 2007
    I love bowling. I dont get a chance to bowl as often as i would like. I think i will keep my average to myself though. Its funny though how perceptions work, if I said i have a 120 average everyone would say wow what a lousy player but believe me. If I said i had a 250 average most people would say im a liar:D REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2007
    Woooooooooo Drunken Bowling!!!!!!!!!!! Wooooooooooooooooooooo
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.