Photo equipment suggestion

strider
strider Posts: 2,568
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
I know there are a couple of photographers around here; I'm looking for some recommendations on a tripod. I have a Canon digital Rebel, shoot mostly outdoor shots, esp waterfalls, landscapes, and flowers. I already have a mini tripod that I hike with, it attaches to my hiking pole for a monopod. Still, when I look through my night and longer exposure shots, they are overwhelmingly blurry. Can't seem to keep a monopod still enough to get good blurred water shots. I'd like to keep it in the sub-$150 range. I'd also rather it be light with the ability to tie a rock or such to it for stability, rather then built like a tank and just as heavy. Thanks in advance.
Wristwatch--->Crisco
Post edited by strider on

Comments

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2007
    I love my SLIK Sprint Pro. Its lightweight and really high quality. Amazon link $80

Slik has a ton of other models to choose from as well.

But I'm not a pro... there are others who might have better suggestions.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
  • strider
    edited February 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    Lay off the sauce.

Is there some type of problem you have with me? I've posted a couple of times to get these types of responses from you. I obviously don't know you, but I do recognize that you've been around here for quite some time. I respect that, but at the same time I'd also like to ask you to not even bother typing anything if it's not relevant to my thread.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    Lay off the sauce.

:confused::confused:
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    Lay off the sauce.
    I thought it was funny.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,705
    edited February 2007
    Strider,
    I've been using something very similar (my head is different) to this for the last 5 or so years.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=5138&A=details&Q=&sku=284756&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I find it very versatile, especially the way you can mount the center column horizontally. This lets you offset the camera and shoot from directly overhead. Very cool.

EDIT: Looks like B&H is out of stock on all the 3001BPro models, which means they probably replaced the model with something similar.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2007
    Strider:

The Bogens are nice. Check them out. This is the one I have:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=5138&A=details&Q=&sku=222207&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I DON'T like the tilt head on it though and have since gone to a Bogen ballhead that is much nicer and cleaner (doesn't have all the handles).

Since you're in Baltimore, take a run out to Service Photo and check out their selection. They're a nice group and have a good selection. If you want to catch up sometime and do some shooting outside, let me know.

http://www.servicephoto.com/

John
    No excuses!
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2007
    The Bogens are my choice. I have a few up to the 3036/3063 combo. Very good units.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • strider
    edited February 2007
    I've heard good things regarding the Bogen and SLIK brands. Also Manfretti? I believe? The SLIK in the link I like because it's very light, it's also the least expensive. Would I need to buy a head to attach the camera to this tripod, or is it just a different type then the Bogens have on them?
    I was also looking at this Bogen: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=5138&A=details&Q=&sku=319557&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

It has a ballhead like you referred to, Strong Bad. It's also taller, which I think I'd need, because I'm kinda tall. Wouldn't you want a model that was about as tall as you were (at least eye level standing up)? A bit on the heavy side, though.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,705
    edited February 2007
    Bogen is Manfrotto. Manfrotto makes them, Bogen imports them.
    Heads are sometimes sold together with the base, like the kit I showed, or sometimes just the base. I believe when I purchased mine, I got the base and head separate because I wanted a different matchup.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • strider
    edited February 2007
    billbillw wrote:
    Bogen is Manfrotto. Manfrotto makes them, Bogen imports them.
    Heads are sometimes sold together with the base, like the kit I showed, or sometimes just the base. I believe when I purchased mine, I got the base and head separate because I wanted a different matchup.

OK, gotcha. My heads been spinning trying to figure everything out. I've been reading reviews on dpreview.com today. It's kinda like trying to figure out what audio equipment to buy by lurking around here. Went in thinking I could do alright for $100 or so, came out completely confused but convinced I may need to mortagage the house.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2007
    They are mighty proud of them, aren't they. Good used ones are out there.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • SWFalken
    SWFalken Posts: 136
    edited February 2007
    I use my Manfrotto 3001BPRO and 322RC2 ballhead professionally and they they serve me very well. It is capable of supporting my 20D, 24-70 2.8L with a 580EX flash and a Stroboframe ProRL flash bracket with no flex and and no head shift. I think that it would make a great tripod for your Canon Rebel. The price for everything from B&H was sub $300.00 US.
    "I drank what?" Socrates :eek:
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2007
    strider wrote:
    Is there some type of problem you have with me?...
    ...not relevant to my thread.
    He was just messing with you. That's what a lot of the high post count members do... harass and make cracks about other members all in good fun. (trying to avoid a pun here but...) Just try and take it in stride. You'll see countless posts about the size of this guys head, why isn't mark wearing pants again, why is russ feeling up the hot car show chick, george we know you love the newbies but c'mon, audiobliss don't postwhore... etc, etc!

FWIW, I've had good luck with manfrotto gear and a nikon d50.