B&K Pro10 Sonata Vs. Parasound P/HP-850

Options
ledhed
ledhed Posts: 1,088
edited February 2007 in Electronics
Ok, I know both of these preamps are highly praised but, which one is the better bargain in the 200-300 dollar category? It seems that the B&K with the external power supply has alot of pluses and in my category looks much better but, I have heard the Parasound cannot be beat by another pre under about $750. So, audio cage match - two SS pres go in, one comes out; which is it?
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
Post edited by ledhed on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2007
    Options
    never heard the b&k, I can say the hype behind the Para is well warranted. sweet pre for little cheddar. If I didnt go the tubed pre route, I would still be using it.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Well, I bought my Parasound P/HP 850 for $150, so I'll be $50 - $150 richer if you'll buy it from me at the range you specified. :D;)

Can't comment on the B&K... but the parasound sounds quite nice and is built like a tank. The only downsides to it are the lack of remote (which obviously isn't a sonic critique) and the fact that it has a fairly high background noise, though no worst for others in that range. I prefer my music completely black, so I'll be upgrading soon, but it's been an excellent preamp and will most likely be moving to my second system.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2007
    Options
    The P/Hp-850 is running around $125 to $175 on the used market. If you are paying $250 for them, I seriously have two of them setting here that I will sell you :)

For the money, the P/HP-850's reputation is well earned. It's a great sounding SS pre. I haven't heard the B&K, but based on the B&K reputation I would guess that it's a step up, with probably a little more depth in the soundstage and a lower noise floor.

If you've got the budget, I would go with the B&K.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited February 2007
    Options
    These are the two at the top of my list as well should I move away from the passive.
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels