Can't get Power Amplifier to work...

Options
Dot40
Dot40 Posts: 29
edited February 2007 in Troubleshooting
Hey guys,
I just got an Aragon 2005 amplifier and am trying to get it to work with my system. Here are my connections: I have an Oppo DVD player which is connected to my receiver (Denon 2807) using a DVI-HDMI cable. I'm running an optical audio cable from the dvd player to the receiver. I connected the power amplifier to the receiver using Monster RCAs and then obviously connected the speakers to the amp with monster speaker cable. There was no difference in sound volume when i started watching a dvd, and then tried turning the amplifier off..... Sound still came out of the speakers at the same volume as when it was on... I called Denon's tech support and they said i needed to run a pair of red/white audio cables from the dvd player to the receiver. Well I did that and there was no difference. Any ideas on what I'm not doing??
Post edited by Dot40 on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    Options
    is your Aragon amp hook up to the pre out puts on your Denon? sounds like you have it hooked up right. but I have no idea why when the amp is turned off.. you are still getting sound from your speakers.. so something is actually wrong with your hook up.

You should not need to run a pair of red/white audio cables from your dvd to your receiver.. you already are using the optical cable for audio.

sorry i can't be of any more help. this is very odd.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Sounds like you have it connected to the wrong pre-outs.
    Not familiar with your avr but look on the back,might say
    audio out or zone one audio out.make sure your interconnects
    from your amp are going to the left and right audio out in this section.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • louthewiz
    louthewiz Posts: 581
    edited February 2007
    Options
    The amplifier needs to be connected with audio cables from the pre outs to the amps inputs with 5 rca cables and all the speakers get connected to the amp,
    as for the amplifier if it has a gain or volume dial in the back or the front make sure it is turned all the way up and then run the auto setup to compensate for the new amp to make a difference since the avr is now being used as a processor.
    And finally you will need an spl meter to properly setup the levels and sub woofer and the dvd player is already feeding the amp with the optical cable,
    Here are some links to help you get the spl meter and how to use it etc.

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=SLM100

http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/spl.htm

http://www.techlore.com/article/10037/;jsessionid=1EB44AF24FE014D8DE008AB481B8A36F
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.:cool:
  • Dot40
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I have it connecting to the "preouts" section in the back of the receiver. When i spoke to Denon they said I need a seperate Preamp, and that I would connect everything to the Preamp, and then to the Power Amplifier.... is that true??
    Doesn't sound right...
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Make sure the IC's from the amp are connected to the PREOUTS on the Denon which are directly below the EXT IN connections which is where the IC's from the DVD player would go.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    Options
    NO that is what the preouts are there for!
    Dot40 wrote:
    I have it connecting to the "preouts" section in the back of the receiver. When i spoke to Denon they said I need a seperate Preamp, and that I would connect everything to the Preamp, and then to the Power Amplifier.... is that true??
    Doesn't sound right...
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Dot40
    edited February 2007
    Options
    The Monster RCAs are plugged in the Preout section on the receiver and they are going to the Aragon amplifier. I did the auto test again.
    Also i noticed the receiver has a Power Amplifier setting, but it only gives u the options of fronts, surrounds, or zode 2...
  • louthewiz
    louthewiz Posts: 581
    edited February 2007
    Options
    The amp sections in the Denon "do not" need to be used all the work will be done with amp and the avr will "process" the sound.
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.:cool:
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Dot40 wrote:
    Hey guys,
    I just got an Aragon 2005 amplifier and am trying to get it to work with my system. Here are my connections: I have an Oppo DVD player which is connected to my receiver (Denon 2807) using a DVI-HDMI cable. I'm running an optical audio cable from the dvd player to the receiver. I connected the power amplifier to the receiver using Monster RCAs and then obviously connected the speakers to the amp with monster speaker cable. There was no difference in sound volume when i started watching a dvd, and then tried turning the amplifier off..... Sound still came out of the speakers at the same volume as when it was on... I called Denon's tech support and they said i needed to run a pair of red/white audio cables from the dvd player to the receiver. Well I did that and there was no difference. Any ideas on what I'm not doing??
    obviously what it sounds like to me is that your amp continues to provide power for a little while after you shut it off. some amps shut down slowly rather than all at once. after you shut the amp off it may continue to have enough power to make noise for a little while. if it doesnt stop after 2-5 mins then you have other issues. wait for a little bit after you shut it off to see if it stops on its own, before you panic. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2007
    Options
    snap some pics of the connections on all components so we can see it. cant hurt :)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Dot40
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Snow was right. I waited a couple minutes after shutting off the amp and the sound faded away. Sorry for the stupid error....
    My only question remaining is: Do amps increase how loud your speakers go? Or is it more of the quality of sound?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Dot40 wrote:
    Snow was right. I waited a couple minutes after shutting off the amp and the sound faded away. Sorry for the stupid error....
    My only question remaining is: Do amps increase how loud your speakers go? Or is it more of the quality of sound?

external amps..provide cleaner power to your speakers.. usually they provide better sound quality over loudness.. but your speakers will perform better with an external amp.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited February 2007
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    external amps..provide cleaner power to your speakers.. usually they provide better sound quality over loudness.. but your speakers will perform better with an external amp.
    yes agreed. also you will probally notice a big difference in bass with an outboard amp if it has enough power. I dont think your speakers are going to sound louder but you will be able to depending on your drivers be able to play at louder levels safely than you can with a smaller amp. tweeters are more prone to damage due to distortion than anything. so if you are able to push your speakers to whatever limit they can handle with a bigger amp without distortion then you are winning. if for some reason it isnt loud enough by then, go find new speakers that are more efficent. the aragon you have is a nice amp and should handle most peoples needs fine though. HAPPY LISTENING. SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D