SDA-1 6-1/2" Drivers locked in place

Options
wrich22
wrich22 Posts: 36
edited February 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I just bought a pair of SDA 1 's on E-bay, Does any one know how the 4 drivers are configured , which are connected to standard input and which are connected to the phase input from the connecting wire. Here is my problem

On one speaker 3 of the 6-1/2" drivers are locked solid in place, the other speaker all four drivers are ok. They were shipped UPS in separate boxes

I am trying to determine if the voice coils are frozen due to an amplifier melt down or from over driving, or did they sustain shipping damage. They were packed pretty well. With no outward signs of shipping damage. But could dropping them in shipping ,cause a G force great enough to lock the voice coils.

They were insured and the owner advertised they were in excellent working
order.

I have tried to contact the seller several times and have not heard back yet. Seller has a high rating

I need some guidance on how to proceed. with this. I am temped to just buy
3 new drivers and move on.

Thanks,

Bill
Post edited by wrich22 on

Comments

• SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Your last paragraph says it all. It will take too much time to file a claim. If you let polk know you are a member of this forum you will get a discount. And free shipping :)
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2007
    Options
    The drivers locking up is a pretty common result of shipping SDA's. The other common result of shipping is the magnets falling off of the drivers. Call Polk customer service and order the new drivers you need, let them know you are a CP member so you get the discount.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    Options
    dkg999 wrote:
    The drivers locking up is a pretty common result of shipping SDA's. The other common result of shipping is the magnets falling off of the drivers. Call Polk customer service and order the new drivers you need, let them know you are a CP member so you get the discount.

Think he might be able to get them for free from insuring them? If they're well boxed and no one can argue from proper packaging, he might have a shot at making a claim.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Ref - he might have a claim, however if he's in a hurry I would order the new drivers. I can see the shipping co claiming the drivers were bad prior to shipping, and how are you going to quickly refute that claim? Up to the seller/buyer, good luck if they go that route!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Wecome aboard, and congrats on the SDA snag.

This is a common problem with shipping the classic Polks.

If you want to be up and running anytime soon, calling Polk for replacements would be the way to go. File the claim anyways so you can possibly get reimbursed, but that's going to take time.