Just bought a Velodyne DPS-12....

Dannieboiz
Dannieboiz Posts: 242
Just picked up a DPS-12 for ~$350 shipped. To replace my NHT SubOnei, Some say the DPS-10 is a better sub.... someone tell me I did the right thing!
Sammy UN55C6400
Onkyo TX-SR875
Def Tech: Mythos One, Three, Six
Velodyne DPS-12
MartinLogan Dynamo 10
Post edited by Dannieboiz on

Comments

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    DPS-10 is a better sub? No.

DPS-12 is a 12" sub versus a 10" sub in the DPS-10. I'd take the 12 anyday over that 10, and I'm sure the 12 comes with a beefier amp to boot. Congrats enjoy your new Velo!

Mike
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    I went the 15 route. Low is Low as long as its not over bearing..... You did good !
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Dannieboiz
    edited February 2007
    cool, I was concern about clean sound. 12 would sound louder for sure but I hear they distort @ higher volume and the 10's didn't or wasn't as much noticable. Oh well.... will still sound better than the 8" energy subs that I have for the time being.
    Sammy UN55C6400
    Onkyo TX-SR875
    Velodyne DPS-12
    MartinLogan Dynamo 10
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    Dannieboiz wrote:
    cool, I was concern about clean sound. 12 would sound louder for sure but I hear they distort @ higher volume and the 10's didn't or wasn't as much noticable. Oh well.... will still sound better than the 8" energy subs that I have for the time being.

Any sub/speaker will distort if driven to hard. The Velo combination is engineered with a close match in amp/sub configuration to give you years of distortion free bass if you have it properly setup. Regardless if the sub is a 10" or a 12", you can make both of them distort.

Mike
  • Deadof_knight
    edited February 2007
    on the volume scale normally its somewhere past 75 % volume is distortion. but that depends on your sub output on the preamp and the level you have the velo set at and so on...... But it is none the less a solid built sub...

10 or 12 like Mike said will distort either way. The 12 will go lower and have typically higher spl at a give level if it the same power and so on.... there are time when bigger is better...

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • louthewiz
    louthewiz Posts: 581
    edited February 2007
    I had seen the 12 and it was too sluggish but the 10 is tight and goes really low.
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.:cool:
  • Deadof_knight
    edited February 2007
    Kinda depends on taste yet again.... The audio world is so diversified because of each of our own listening tastes....... Do you like mid-bass or in my opinion the 12 is lil of both worlds low end and yes a lil muddier mid bass. and a 10 is better for mid-bass punch with less low end. Depends on your listing taste !!!

Im going with 2- 18s under the stairs in the spring....itll tickle a litle more than your funny bone!

• Dannieboiz
    edited February 2007
    Kinda depends on taste yet again.... The audio world is so diversified because of each of our own listening tastes....... Do you like mid-bass or in my opinion the 12 is lil of both worlds low end and yes a lil muddier mid bass. and a 10 is better for mid-bass punch with less low end. Depends on your listing taste !!!

Im going with 2- 18s under the stairs in the spring....itll tickle a litle more than your funny bone!

I used to get that feeling with two 12's in my car. I think old age kinda caught up to me, I think it's kinda embarrasing to be heard driving down the street too loud so I'm down to only a single 12 and suprising, I enjoy watching movies in my car which have logic 7 or the so called 5.1. in my car more than @ home minus the small 7" screen. (yes I have 5.1 surround in my car :D)

I like deep low bass but too much of anything is no good. As long as everything is balance I don't mind the bass.
    Sammy UN55C6400
    Onkyo TX-SR875
    Velodyne DPS-12
    MartinLogan Dynamo 10
  • josh_parsons626
    josh_parsons626 Posts: 219
    edited February 2007
    Congrats man! I have a Velodyne VRP-1200 which is (I think) a low level Velodyne and it pounds. So I'm sure you'll like yours!
    Don't forget to look at My Home Theater :D

Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR503
    Fronts - Polk Audio Monitor 40
    Center - Polk Audio CS1
    Surrounds - Paradigm Cinema ADP
    Subwoofer - Velodyne VRP-1200
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited February 2007
    I've owned the DPS10 which is a very nice sounding sub. The 12 is just as good if not better. As others said, it will pound above 30hz and is fairly musical. $350 shipped is a good price.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,985
    edited February 2007
    although the 12 may seem like it would be a better sub it may not. Yes it has a bigger driver but does it have enough guts to push it and utilize it to it's full potential. When I was shopping for my latest sub I chose the s10.2 over the s12. I found the 10 to be tighter and more accurate.

Anyway congrats on your new sub hope you enjoy it.
  • Robert Horton
    Robert Horton Posts: 1
    edited February 2007
    I work at Circuit City and sell those velodyne speakers all the time and a majority of my listeners like the dps10 better because of its accuracy. The 12 has a deeper feel but I personally like accuracy. They both hit hard but a lot of this stuff is preference. The 10 and 12 are the top two subs at my store so you buying the 12 should in no way disturb you
  • Deadof_knight
    edited February 2007
    Oh no you said you work at circuit city oh man watch out your gonna get hammered just wanted to, warn you .......

• Alboy
    Alboy Posts: 3
    edited February 2007
    Congrats on the Velo. I just purchased a Velo Minivee for about the same price as that 12.
    Velodyne, Polk, Denon.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited February 2007
    Congrats on the sub. Circuit city finally got the dps-12 at my store right before I quit(about 7 months ago). We put on the LOTR elephant scene, and you could definitly feel the bass more with the 12 than with the 10. But I really never did any hard listening to see which one is more accurate(especially with music). The dps series are the only subs worth looking at in CC. I love my dps-10, but I still hate the digital controls. I don't know what **** decided to use a blinking light as the volume indicator:confused: .

You got a good price on the sub, I'd say keep it, especially if you watch a lot of movies... Did you buy this used?

tommyboy
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited February 2007
    tommyboy wrote:
    but I still hate the digital controls. I don't know what **** decided to use a blinking light as the volume indicator:confused: .
    I had a conversation with Bruce Hall about a year ago regarding the digital front controls. It's designed based on feedback from CC, that it would be useful for demoing the sub in store. We talked about perhaps adding a rear gain control with a disable switch for the front volume, but I don't think that's going to happen.

It's a nice sub with some interesting features though most either leave it in Movie mode for the mid bass hump or flat in Classical. These Velos and the Klipsch Sub 10 and 12 are probably the best retail offerings in this price point.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Dannieboiz
    edited February 2007
    update:

around 11am this morning my warehouse guys called me to come out to receiving because I got a huge box that's 60+lbs Fedex was dropping off. Yup there it was, my DPS12.

So what did I do? Of course I left the office early to get home and hook this baby up.

First impression when I open the box. Wow what a pretty sight, that's my face in the reflection of the super glossy black lacquer finish. :eek:

The first sound test, I played Matrix Rev. only thing I can grab quickly (I was too excited to look around). My gf and I sat there and was talking to each other about the sound. "WOW we never heard that tone from this scene b4" LOL.

It's been decided, we're going to start watching movies at home from now on and spend less time at the movie theatre.

Conclusion: "Money well spent"

Question:
    I don't have room to put my subs in the front corner of the room, it's placed in the rear corner between my sofas in the "L" form. For movie purpose I feel that it's not sounding right. the boom and the thumps is coming from right behind or next to me. Kinda kill the purpose of a 5.1 isn't it? Anyway to get around this?
    Sammy UN55C6400
    Onkyo TX-SR875
    Velodyne DPS-12
    MartinLogan Dynamo 10
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited February 2007
    Dannieboiz wrote:
    Question:
    I don't have room to put my subs in the front corner of the room, it's placed in the rear corner between my sofas in the "L" form. For movie purpose I feel that it's not sounding right. the boom and the thumps is coming from right behind or next to me. Kinda kill the purpose of a 5.1 isn't it? Anyway to get around this?

dannieboiz,

Putting a sub in a corner is where the bass is most boomy. Most newcomers(not saying you:p ) put their sub there because it gives them the most bass with no regards to how good it actually sounds. You can either put the sub between the left and right speakers. Or if you want to get the best bass possible, place your sub where you usually sit to watch movies/music... walk around and find the spot where the bass sounds best. If it takes moving a few things around I'd say its worth it.:)

Have fun with the new sub.
    Tommyboy
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27