air force ??

opus
opus Posts: 1,252
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
This should be an easy question for you guys. I know we have alot of military guys here.

1. Are the planes that the Army,Marine and the Navy aviators fly considered part of the Air Force or are they "owned" by the Army, Navy and Marines?

B. What is a rough approximation of the total number of planes that each branch of the service has?

thanks .......kevin
The Flea rig
Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
Polk RTA-11t-flea market
LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
Behringer Feedback Destroyer
-flea market
AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
Post edited by opus on

Comments

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • opus
    edited February 2007
    Thanks. My father-in-law thought that the Air Force "owned" all the planes. That link would tend to disprove this if I'm reading it right.

Any futher confirmation on my 1st question?
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

-flea market
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited February 2007
    They are separate.

Marines
    Navy
    Air Force
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • opus
    edited February 2007
    thanks
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

-flea market
  • joeaudio26
    joeaudio26 Posts: 97
    edited February 2007
    I always thought the pentagon x military = United States armed forces...who knew..:D
    Whatsoever thy handfindeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is nor work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    McLoki wrote:
    They are separate.

Marines
    Navy
    Air Force

You guys amaze me how you come up with this stuff so quickly. . .by the time I think of keywords to type into google a dozen replies have been posted.:o
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2007
    Whomever wrote that article has his head up his ****, and if nothing else, knows dick about our conventional bomber capability. There are no B-52 or B-2 bombers included in his listing. When they drop anything that isn't a nuke, they are conventional bombers, and from the first Gulf War to the present, Bongo 52's and B-2's have dropped a bunch of stuff. Oh, and if I remember correctly, none of them were nukes. Ron, can I get a ruling on that? B-1's, B-2's and Bongo 52's can all drop nukes as well as iron bombs.

The ARMY has no fixed-wing aircraft. We only trust them with helicopters. They may have one or two small personal transport prop-jobs, but nothing fixed-wing that can drop anything or fire guns. Much too dangerous in the wrong hands.

The Air Force Reserve (for the most part) does not own any of their own aircraft. They come in and use the Air Force's resources and equipment.

The Air National Guard of each state owns and maintains their aircraft and equipment.

I am not certain about Navy and Marine Reserve components, but I think in SOME cases, those guys own and maintain their equipment as well.

More than one knowledgeable person has stated..."If you took all the Air Guard units from all 50 states and combined them into one large Air Guard unit, that unit would be the finest air force in existence."

That's a fact jack.
  • opus
    edited February 2007
    I always feel like I should stand up straight and stick out my chest when I read a George Grand post:D

I'll drop and give you twenty....
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

-flea market
  • George Grand
    edited February 2007
    Mail me a fifty.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    I still find it quit hilarious that the general population thinks that every plane is owned by the Air Force, and that every ship/boat is owned by the Navy.

Fact is the Navy has MORE planes than the Air Force, and the Army has MORE boats than the Navy!:eek:

Mike
  • opus
    edited February 2007
    just us stupid civilians muddling along
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

-flea market
  • MikeC78
    edited February 2007
    opus wrote:
    just us stupid civilians muddling along

:D No, just naive.

BTW, I'm officially a civilian now!:)

Mike
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2007
    Waitaminute, I thought the Army was running a fleet of C-130's? If that's the case, they are fixed wing and far from "personal" sized.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited February 2007
    Also, the Navy has very few boats. They have mostly ships. The difference is a boat goes UNDER water while a ship FLOATS ON the water.

• opus
    edited February 2007
    let the record show that it was my father-in-law, not me.
    I'm smart;)
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

-flea market
  • MikeC78
    edited February 2007
    Jstas wrote:
    Waitaminute, I thought the Army was running a fleet of C-130's? If that's teh case, they are fixed wing and far from "personal" sized.

Nope. That's all mostly Air Force.
  • Jstas
    edited February 2007
    One more thing. Don't ever tell a Navy Captain or Commander he has a nice "boat". They find it insulting unless they are a sub commander. They are likely to keel haul you and will generally not like you after you do such a thing.

• Jstas
    edited February 2007
    Oh and no, every ship/boat is not owned by the Navy because the U.S. Coast Guard is the 3rd largest naval force in the world.

• MikeC78
    edited February 2007
    Jstas wrote:
    One more thing. Don't ever tell a Navy Captain or Commander he has a nice "boat". They find it insulting unless they are a sub commander. They are likely to keel haul you and will generally not like you after you do such a thing.

I was in the Navy and I'll call them whatever I want!:p I could careless if they don't like me or not. I use the term rather loosly since everyone is use to the term "boat".
  • Jstas
    edited February 2007
    I build the Navy/Coast Guard and I deal with officers all the time. You may not care but they do and unless the know me real well and know I'm kidding, I can piss off a customer and that's a bad thing.

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Mail me a fifty.

Glad to see you back GG!
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited February 2007
    Dingy , then boats then you have yahts then you have ships its all in the size... untill you mix submarines into the realm.......
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2007
    Jstas wrote:
    I build the Navy/Coast Guard and I deal with officers all the time. You may not care but they do and unless the know me real well and know I'm kidding, I can piss off a customer and that's a bad thing.
    Jstas wrote:
    Oh and no, every ship/boat is not owned by the Navy because the U.S. Coast Guard is the 3rd largest naval force in the world.
    Jstas wrote:
    One more thing. Don't ever tell a Navy Captain or Commander he has a nice "boat". They find it insulting unless they are a sub commander. They are likely to keel haul you and will generally not like you after you do such a thing
    Jstas wrote:
    Also, the Navy has very few boats. They have mostly ships. The difference is a boat goes UNDER water while a ship FLOATS ON the water
    Jstas wrote:
    Waitaminute, I thought the Army was running a fleet of C-130's? If that's the case, they are fixed wing and far from "personal" sized.

And you had to say all this in 5 posts, not just one?
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    Jstas wrote:

Nothing new there, you piss off everyone.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    edited February 2007
    MrNightly wrote:
    And you had to say all this in 5 posts, not just one?

Hey, everyone else can post **** without a problem. Sorry for paticipating in a fun thread.

• Jstas
    edited February 2007
    F1nut wrote:
    Nothing new there, you piss off everyone.

Yeah....that was uncalled for. I thought you were supposed to be a shining example of what this forum was about and that you were a sage, old member that everyone looked up to?

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2007
    MikeC78 wrote:
    I still find it quit hilarious that the general population thinks that every plane is owned by the Air Force, and that every ship/boat is owned by the Navy.

Fact is the Navy has MORE planes than the Air Force, and the Army has MORE boats than the Navy!:eek:

Mike

According to Alex Trebek last night, the Airforce uses more fuel than all the other branches combined. I would think that means they have the most aircraft.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    Sage? Shining example? I think you have me confused with someone else.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited February 2007
    MikeC78 wrote:
    Mike

They also think everyone in the Air Force flys a plane :rolleyes: I was a computer operator and I wouldn't know a B-52 from a BM :rolleyes:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • George Grand
    edited February 2007
    The Army doesn't own or fly any C-130's, so even though they are far from personal sized, you're far from correct.

The Air Force probably uses the most fuel because it's the only service with multitudes of 4 engine aircraft that guzzle up to 10,000-12,000 pounds of fuel per hour at cruise. Fighters burn more while in afterburner, but rarely operate in that realm. JP-8 jet fuel (the industry standard) weighs anywhere from 6.4 -6.8 lbs. per gallon, this being the fuel "density" and is dependent largely on ambient air temperature.

The Air Force operates a small fleet of ships for water survival training if nothing else.

The The Navy operates a couple of C-130's for logistical support, and in support of The Blue Angels aerial demonstration team. The Marines have a couple as well for logistical support. The Army operates a couple small twin-engine Fokker aircraft (I believe they are Fokkers) in support of their Golden Knights parachute demonstration team.