What audio magazine do you subscribe to?

joeparaski
joeparaski Posts: 1,865
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Lots of magazines out there. I'm looking at getting a subscription to "The Sensible Sound". What are you guys reading?

Joe
Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
Post edited by joeparaski on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    Stereophile...(Does Home Theater count?)
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2007
    stereophile, TAS, Hifi+

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited February 2007
    I subscribed to most audio magazines back in the 80's, Stereo Review, Audio, Hi-Fidelity, Srereophile, etc. I let them all lapse in the early 90's. I got tired of the glowing positive reviews of everything, when often I knew different, having actually tried the equipment myself. They didnt seem to be of much use.

I year ago I got a 12 month subscription to Stereophile for $2.99. I overpaid, nothing has changed. The recent Zanden review comes to mind.

I have been thinking of trying TAS though.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Stereophile, TAS, Affordable Audio, TNT, The Perfect Vision
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited February 2007
    Stereophile, but odds are I'll cancel it in favor of reviewers who tackle more realistic (for me) components.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited February 2007
    Stereophile so far, but now I am thinking of switching to TAS.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2007
    Sound & Vision.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2007
    The Absolute Sound
    Stereophile
    Sensible Sound
    Audio Xpress
    Hifi+
    Vacuum Tube Valley
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited February 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote:
    I year ago I got a 12 month subscription to Stereophile for $2.99. I overpaid, nothing has changed. The recent Zanden review comes to mind.

Agreed, Stereophile is such a waste of time. I still get it but will not renew. I am tired of reviews of gear they sell less than 3 units of a year.

TAS
    Home Theater
    The Perfect Vision (Sister pub of TAS, I get it for $5/year)
    Sound & Vision
    What HiFi on stands when I am in Europe, way overpriced and biased toward British gear. Who would have thought?
    Venom
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2007
    sound and vision for umpteen years.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    Refefer wrote:
    Stereophile, but odds are I'll cancel it in favor of reviewers who tackle more realistic (for me) components.

I know what you mean there but for me it keeps me drooling and for some reason I learn a lot more. I love Michael Fremer.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited February 2007
    none at the moment. i buy from month to month depending on the gear being reviewed. i used to do sound and vision but it seemed to me that they did a lot things like the battle of the budget recievers etc, which didnt matter to me. then on the other side of the coin you have the mags that only did super expensive gear that i had no hope of owning either lol. so now its from month to month. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited February 2007
    Playboy (they occasionally offer stereo advice)

Hey you asked.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    Stereophile
    The Absolute Sound
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2007
    Stereophile and TAS are the best for me. Lots of good info to be had on the very cheap.

I will definetly be renewing.

RT1
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2007
    You know, everyone **** about them reviewing expensive gear...and they do. However, I WANT to hear about gear that I can't afford. To be honest, if all they did was review low/midfi gear, I'd probably not subscribe.

Also, TAS and Stereophile have been reviewing 'affordable' gear. A lot of MF stuff as well as a rash of budget turntables. Sure the cover stories are of exotic gear but the affordable stuff IS there.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited February 2007
    Seems like Stereophile is a big one I don't get thati one right now I get
    Home Theatre and I am thinking of getting Sound and vision.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    You know, everyone **** about them reviewing expensive gear...and they do. However, I WANT to hear about gear that I can't afford. To be honest, if all they did was review low/midfi gear, I'd probably not subscribe.

Also, TAS and Stereophile have been reviewing 'affordable' gear. A lot of MF stuff as well as a rash of budget turntables. Sure the cover stories are of exotic gear but the affordable stuff IS there.

BDT

So True, the new NAD gear was on the cover of Stereophile just a couple months ago. I also enjoy the music reviews and TT analog section articles.

I find it extemely important in any area to have a thorough understanding of what works really well regardless of budget constraints then use this knowledge to correct what is not working so well, the Ultra-High End companies do this and many times the technology trickles down from the flagship to the entire line.

As we move up the chain everybody needs something to lust for.

RT1
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    None yet, but I am going to pull the trigger on Stereophile and TAS.

I couldn't stand Sound and Vision. At least they were willing to review video games.