A different kind of audio rig

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Over the weekend I heard a very interesting system. It used 5 of these self powered near field monitors. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S2A/ Each was on its own stand, sitting in a circle about 9 feet diameter. L, R and Center up front, surrounds back and to the sides. All near field. He used a Bag End subwoofer. In the center of the space he had a dual LCD monitor setup powered by a computer with mixing software on it and some dacs which I cannot remember the name of. There was a set of chairs in front of the console table with the LCD's. Although it was set up for mixing and not considered an audiophile setup it sounded really good.

The gentleman records live classical music mostly. He records live at music halls then takes home and mixes down to 5.1 channels. He has the surround thing down. We compared commercial recordings played through a Pioneer elite DV47Ai SACD to his mixes played from his mixing software and the difference was pretty amazing.

Talk about depth and height! I could hear 15 rows back into the orchestra! With commercial stuff the depth was a little less than the SDA SRS 1.2's which are not that great in the depth area but with his recordings the players were all in their places.

I guess I would say most of the audio qualities other than soundstage and depth could be better if he went to audiophile extremes but we all have our cost limits and tradeoffs.

Overall, this was a VERY satisfying sounding system.

madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D