Right move?

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,624
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, So I have a 400.4 and 2 sets of SR6500's running currently in my car.

In the near future, I'm planning on installing 2 500.1's and 2 sr124dvc's into the mix.

My current wiring is 4 gauge wire, and I have purchased the 1/0 gauge and higher handling fuses.............so here's my question....

Is it necessary for me to upgrade the power to the 1/0 gauge or is that going to be overkill? Would installing a higher rated fuse that's on the 4 gauge wire not be sufficient or what?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    For that kind of power, youll need the 1/0 guage from the battery.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    Some lil scrub (won't say where) had said that I'd only need that large of a cable if I was running excess of 7000 watts (I'm sure he over-exaggerated the number, but still)......

I was trying to purchase 3-4 feet of cable because I know that the way they got my 4 gauge in was to splice in an additional length because they went diagonal corners from battery to amp.......which I was told they didn't sell bulk like that.......
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2007
    If you were only going to run just one more amp, I would say just run another 4ga like I did. In your case, going with a sinlge bigger cable and doing the distribution block down the line would be best.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    go to www.knukonceptz.com they've got bulk 1/0 ga good cables for a lot less than most...

and someone correct me if i'm wrong but i believe 2ga should have handled the load...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    it's too late to consider other cable........I've had the 1/0 for almost a year and it can't go back. I just wanted to verify (before Joel might be able to help me installing it) that it should work ok.

Also, if I do need to splice in an additional length, how do you do that? I think I saw tape involved by the tweeter folks, but it's been so long I forget what they did........

Actually now that I'm back to thinking about it, Because I'm going to be putting in a distro block, I can have the 1/0 be shorter and then offrun the 4 gauge that I'm pulling out from the distro to the amps.......good good..........so basically, I just need to find out if Joel's up for it........ :D
  • Joelsbass
    edited February 2007
    Got a thought for you on the install... a trade of sorts... I'll cover my own gas and do the install in exchange for those RTi38's, they'd make a nice upgrade for the surrounds in my HT... what do you think?

• brettw22
    edited February 2007
    I'm good with that, but you saw that they're not in the prettiest shape box wise, right??

Also, I still don't have a garage up here since I'm at an apartment....
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    how far away does Joel live? Maybe Brett can drive over there if Joel has a garage for the install? just a thought.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    I mentioned that in the other thread.....it's about 180 miles one way.
  • Joelsbass
    edited February 2007
    No garage here either, and cosmetics doesn't matter much, i was thinking about some cool custom paint for my setup anyway (sand it down and paint it and it shouldn't show at all :D )

I'll have to check some things, but i think the 17th will be the soonest i can make it there (weather permitting... i can deal with the cold but if it's really nasty we might have to postpone a week...) when exactly do you move anyway?

• brettw22
    edited February 2007
    Movers will be here on the 1st and I should be heading out the following day. I'm good with trading the speakers if you want them. I sent you my contact information via PM. Thank you VERY much for being willing to help......