Polk & Designs

Options
BobMcG
BobMcG Posts: 1,585
edited July 2001 in Technical/Setup
Has Polk experimented with the use of kevlar drivers or at least considered doing so? Are you equiping your new "upscale speaker series" (LSi's) with quality, gold five way binding posts? And if not, why?
Post edited by BobMcG on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I think it's interesting to note that the older RT series (RT12, RT16) had gold 5-way binding posts that look and feel a lot nicer than the new gold/plastic 5-way posts. What happened?

Aaron
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I have little if any knowledge of use here.

I know we make spiders out of a Kevlar-like material (I think it's the same thing -- bulletproof -- but we're not allowed to call it Kevlar), but I was under the impression that using that same material for a cone would not work: too stiff, fragile.

Also, the binding posts on the new LSi's are very very nice: solid "gold" (all metal). Nice connections and nice connectors.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • BobMcG
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Thanks.

I asked about the kevlar drivers because I believe they're in use by at least a couple of companies.

I should have known the LSi's were using gold plated five ways. I found it while re-reading an article I have on them. Sometimes I have a memory like a ..... I forget what.
  • polkster13
    polkster13 Posts: 37
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Where did you get information on the new LSi series speakers? I cannot find any details.:mad:

Your help is greatly appreciated.:D
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I understand that Kevlar is a tough material. I also know a few other companies that are using Kevlar as cone material. My only question is, "Are we taking these things into combat or what?" HELMETS are made of Kevlar. Bulletproof vests are too. What do the speaker companies think we are going to DO with these things? I plan on listening to mine, not launching them into space.
    I have NEVER SEEN a KLH paper cone woofer develop a hole in itself. Take a Ginsu knife to one and you've got something happening. Keep the kids and pets away, and non-esoteric materials can last an awful long time.
    I'm not against progress, but bulletproof speaks are silly if you ask me.

"The KLH 6 was the first two-way I ever designed that got EVERYTHING right."
    Henry Kloss

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • Aaron
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I'm sure there's an audio reason for kevlar, not a durability issue. It seems like it is primarily used for midrange drivers. Check out B&W and Paradigm's websites. They both use kevlar.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Options
    B&W, for example, uses Kevlar WOVEN fiber drivers. The theory they are following is that this Kevlar weave is a very rigid material. The belief is, that for a mid-bass, or mid range driver, the stiffer the cone, the less diffraction and breakup. They use this is combination with a bullet dustcap, for a less-colored midrange.

It's really neat if you look at the documentation.

Check out this link, for a 10 minute read and some test images/data, rather educational.

B&W Kevlar driver explanation

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I figured it had something to do with the rigidity of kevlar reducing distortion (or should I say breakup?), but I didn't want to sound retarded.

Aaron
  • yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I love my RT16s, RT12s and CS350LS...nuff said.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Options
    ....what does that have to do with Kevlar?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I guess chicks are wrapped in kevlar. Life sucks when you're sporting an OrangeToupee.

sony str-915
    rt800i's
    velodyne ct120
    fx/500's

Should I get a new receiver, or a new pair of rears next? Cause I won't be getting any chicks. Later dudes.:confused::confused:
  • BobMcG
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I was also asking about the kevlar drivers because Legacy-Audio uses them. I knew B&W was using them too, but wasn't sure who else was.
  • polkster13
    polkster13 Posts: 37
    edited July 2001
    Options
    The B&W site had some very interesting reading. I have also seen these speakers in action at one of the homes that was in the "Parade of Homes" here in Austin and they were very nice. I did not get as much time as I would have liked though to really put them through their paces. Anyone else have experience with speakers using cones made of Kevlar?
  • BobMcG
    edited July 2001
    Options
    ...I hope you'll forgive me. With 12 Polk speakers in the house (and only three not being used right now) I fall off the wagon on occasion. This would be with the Velodyne CT-150 on my HT (Calm down now, I have the RT3000p subs up front!) and... which brings me to this new sub for my primary HS....

...Did I just mention Legacy-Audio in an above post? Must have had them on my mind. I have my new Deep Impact Sub from them up and running, and if I was to call it absolutely astonishing, I'd be selling it short! An unbelieveable performer! And it's beautiful! I had it finished with medium oak, wood vaneer, to match my 2.3s and furiture.

400 watt amp.
    Two-12" forward firing drivers.
    One-12" rear firing PR. (Yes, I said firing PR!)

In addition to the manual front controls, (lite in saphire blue) the remote also controls the freq. and volume knobs. And this is a remote that works very well indeed too, unlike another remote sub I had.

One very happy camper here. SDA-SRS 2.3s, Deep Impact, yup, one happy camper here!