can you run 4 mmc650's in 2 ohm?

polkmomo2002
polkmomo2002 Posts: 1
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I want to run 4 mmc650 6.5 inchers from an audiobahnn A6004t amp...this amp delivers 75w x 4 at 4 ohms and 150w x 4 at 2 ohms. my question is, since these are 4 ohm speakers, is it absolutely unheard of to run these in the 2 ohm set-up...i've heard that audiobahn overrates their amplifiers and was wondering if it would be safe to take "150w x 4 at 2 ohms" to these mmc650's. thanks!
Post edited by polkmomo2002 on

Comments

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    You can't get the speakers to run at 2 ohms off of a 4ch amp. the only way to put them to 2 ohms is to wire them in pairs which would ultimately call for a 2ch amp. my advice would be to bi-amp if you realy feel the extra power is needed, that would also give you a higher level of controll in your system.

Also in most cars 75w/ch to those speakers should give you plenty of volume and clarity (I've always been a little biased against audiobahn but that's more from the comparison of their price to quality than their quality in general so the amp should work fine). Underpowering won't hurt your speakers any you just have to be carefull that you're not setting it up in such a way that your amp is getting a clipped signal.
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!