Money Market / Savings Account help

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
Ok, I am looking to open a Savings account or money market account at a bank or investment company. I am looking for the highest interest possible. I have already been to Citizens bank(current checking bank) and Bank of America and they both have pretty crappy rates.(Citizens was .5% for Savings and 1.59% for MM).

What do you all use/recommend?

Oh, and the absolute max first deposit cannot be more than $3,000-$5,000, don't want to cripple my checking account since I have too many bills.:D
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited February 2007
    I have an ING Direct savings account. It's not the highest out there, but it didn't have a lot of the restrictions that some of the other have. I think I'm getting 4.5% interest.

www.ingdirect.com
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    ahh yes, ive heard of ING, but how do you access the money right away? and have you been happy with the account? I wonder if I could link it to my current checking account at Citizens.....

I'm kinda weary about a bank that has no local branches....
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited February 2007
    Also try AG Edwards for a money market.
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2007
    do some reading in the FatWallet Finance Forum for rates/pros/cons of various banks.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited February 2007
    ahh yes, ive heard of ING, but how do you access the money right away?

I'm kinda weary about a bank that has no local branches....
    I just plan ahead if I need the money. to me it's a savings account, if I need the money it's something I'm planning for so I'll just give myself some extra time to transfer the money. Usually takes a day or two to post.

that's how they have such high interest rates, they don't have all the expenses that branches do.

EDIT: yep, I'm happy with it. and they do link to your primary checking account no matter what bank you have.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    Most banks will run ads in the Sunday business section of your local newspaper with "teaser rates" for money market accounts. Be sure and read the fine print as many of the higher rates are for 60 - 90 days and then they drop down to the normal rate (which are the .50% to 2.00% rates you are finding).

Look to see if you can join a credit union. They used to be limited membership but in some places they are just like banks and anybody in their geographic area can join. They typically pay higher rates.

Look at CDs as well. You can get them for as short as 30 days (not recommended) or 90 days 6 months, etc. There are often promo rates here as well. 4% - 5% is not unusual for a CD. How long you want to leave it in a CD will determine the rate. We are actually seeing an inverted yield curve right now where short term rates are higher than long term rates.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    tryrrthg wrote:
    I just plan ahead if I need the money. to me it's a savings account, if I need the money it's something I'm planning for so I'll just give myself some extra time to transfer the money. Usually takes a day or two to post.

that's how they have such high interest rates, they don't have all the expenses that branches do.

EDIT: yep, I'm happy with it. and they do link to your primary checking account no matter what bank you have.

Gotcha, I'm just reading over their site, kinda reminds me of paypal but without the BS. All electronic.....
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:
    Most banks will run ads in the Sunday business section of your local newspaper with "teaser rates" for money market accounts. Be sure and read the fine print as many of the higher rates are for 60 - 90 days and then they drop down to the normal rate (which are the .50% to 2.00% rates you are finding).

Look to see if you can join a credit union. They used to be limited membership but in some places they are just like banks and anybody in their geographic area can join. They typically pay higher rates.

Look at CDs as well. You can get them for as short as 30 days (not recommended) or 90 days 6 months, etc. There are often promo rates here as well. 4% - 5% is not unusual for a CD. How long you want to leave it in a CD will determine the rate. We are actually seeing an inverted yield curve right now where short term rates are higher than long term rates.

Thanks shack, i'll look into the credit union. The problem is that I need to keep the money as liquid as possible, I can't tie up money for a year to 10 years, its just feasible for me at the moment.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2007
    Those rates are crap. Do a national search.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    PolkThug wrote:
    Those rates are crap.

That's what i told the nice lookin lady behind the desk. Exact words. Maybe I shoulda been nice, she was cute and her name tag said "I speak Greek!" and her name was something like Athanananasia or something
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited February 2007
    I opened a Capital One money market account last month with no minimum balance at 4.8% apr. I had to open it online to get that rate. Then a few days later I saw someone else advertising 5.05%. I think all the banks are going to start matching these rates unless they want to lose their deposits which in my case was Chase.
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    Thanks shack, i'll look into the credit union. The problem is that I need to keep the money as liquid as possible, I can't tie up money for a year to 10 years, its just feasible for me at the moment.

Most banks and credit unions will offer CDs in 30 days, 3 months, 6 months or 12 months (sometimes they will offer 7 and 13 months as promotions). They can be cashed in early or you can borrow against them at a small percentage over the earnings rate if an emergency come up.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2007
    I'm doing an emigrantdirect.com account. 5.15% I believe.
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited February 2007
    I use both ING direct and EmigrantDirect and am happy with their services. The rate for EmigrantDirect is 5.05%. ING has a sign on bonus, $25?, if you are referred by one of its customer.
  • pacificoastbear
    pacificoastbear Posts: 105
    edited February 2007
    i have an ing account....they are excellent...

close to 5% rate and it is simple to setup and transfer funds back and forth between linked accounts ....

although there is an introductory rate that is better offered through HSBCdirect ... i don't have the exact link but a google search should turn it up....HSBCdirect is the same type of account as ingdirect .. good luck
  • BaggedLancer
    edited February 2007
    I am probably gonna set up ING tomorrow. I need $$ :( :mad:
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2007
    I've got both ING and EmigrantDirect. I just signed up for Emigrant a few days ago and am happy thus far.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    You guys may like thier MM products...but their investment funds division is terrible. I wouldn't have any money with them if I had a choice for our 401K. ING funds have been performing way below market and their fee structure is pretty bad as well. Fortunatly we are leaving ING. It can't be too soon IMO.

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2007
    Not a plug for them but check out Eloan for Cd's or Vanguard for MM/stock funds. International funds are doing good at the present. As always, past returns..........
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<