component choice

vawakemonster
vawakemonster Posts: 131
edited February 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I looked at tweeter today and I narrowed it down to three, I actualy liked momos as a seconde place

my first choice(I set a price maximum to 400 or so just to broaden horizons) was the JL XR series they sounded amazing!!!
second was the MOMOS
Third was a set of 448 dollar focals they sounded very similar to the JLs except they were a little more flat.

They were all compared using the same CD same HU and same Amp. And I turned on a momo sub just to see how it sounded with it sicne I have one. the JLs were EXCEPTIONAL with everything but I think they were the best at guitar like frequencies and there area of weakness is voices.

The momos sounded very good on voices the best IMHO but they lacked a bit on guitar frequencies and there was alot more white noise coming out, the most of all the speakers I tried.

The Focals sounded similar to JL but were more flat and lacked some bass, however the tweeter guy siad the Focals were his favorite due to accurate reproduction. but I kind of feel it was the price that he liked so much.

so my issue is I dont know what I want either JL or Polk. do I want a front componet set that has better vocals or better guitar and music? Im knew at this so i need help on imaging and what should be reproduced where.

I was thinking maybe polk up front and eventually some JL coaxials in the back to see if I can use there strong guitar frequency for fill in. I will be using an MTX 50-75 watts RMS to power these is that matters.
Dodge Dakota
HU: Pioneer
Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
Subwoofer: polk mm2104
Post edited by vawakemonster on

Comments

• vawakemonster
    edited February 2007
    I almost forgot, Is it bad to not buy the speakers at an authorized dealer?
    Dodge Dakota
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    Yes it is normally a bad idea to buy from an unauthorized dealer, you typically won't get any warranty whatsoever, so when your $500 investment dies in 6 weeks you have nothing to show for it... or it could work fine for years... it's realy a toss of the dice as to which it'll be...

It's good that you kept as many things the same when you sampled them as possible (HU, Amp etc...) but it's always good to keep in mind that auditioning in a store sound verry little like the finished product. The interior of your car has very different acoustics, speaker positioning has a lot to do with sound quality, some speakers require a different EQ mix to reach their full potential (which depends on your listening preference), and your amp may provide a different sound than the one powering them at the store.

Moral of the story, take everything you hear at a dealer with a grain of salt and go with your gut instinct... And I'm pretty sure you'll never hear anyone here say they regretted any set of polk speakers they've bought. I've had MM6's in my truck for about 3 years running and have been nothing but pleased!
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • vawakemonster
    edited February 2007
    I say polks then
    Dodge Dakota
  • Joelsbass
    edited February 2007
    the polk momo's will do best with some more power, i'd say an amp upgrade should be your next buy...

• vawakemonster
    edited February 2007
    well my budget is a little low since I'm putting all of my money into purchasing a new truck. I can get this amp for 50 bucks from a friend and its never been used. should I go pawn shopping for a bigger amp?

Has anyone listened to the RE components?
    Dodge Dakota
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    which ones?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2007
    Something was wrong with the listening room, cause those Focals have midbass for days! If they sounded flat, they werent hooked up right or something.

The JL's are excellent speakers but that aluminium tweeter is just a little too much for my tastes. I listen almost exclusively to heavy metal so Im familiar with what makes guitars sound good and other than MB Quart, metal tweeters dont!

Im familar with all 3 of those speakers an theyre all great speakers, but for a more natural sound with smoother highs, I would take the Polks hands down.

The JL's do have very good midbass but I just aint crazy about that tweeter.

The Focals are also great, better than the JL's and as good as the Polks but Id save the $150, get the Polks and put the savings toward a good amp.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • vawakemonster
    edited February 2007
    the Re components in my price range, they have two one in the 300 range(forgot name) and one in the 700 range(****) these run at 2 ohms which I liked.
    Dodge Dakota
  • vawakemonster
    edited February 2007
    http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4927&CFID=3429307&CFTOKEN=84e709699b62b241-8827E064-1422-7C6E-50B779806576E29C Thats the RE one I was referring too they are called the RE components. I liked the way they look shallow since the momos Wont fit into my dodge dakota with out a custom bracket.

is there any speaker comparable tot he momos I could get that would sound nice yet mount in a shallower door?
    Dodge Dakota
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Dont recommend woofersect. Heard a few storied of people getting ripped off.

The latest one was a dude bought Focals from them and got the knock offs instead.

Stick with the authorized dealers. Youll be glad you did.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2007
    Yeah.... good thing he had a set of real ones to compare them to after him noticing something was just not right with them.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • vawakemonster
    edited February 2007
    what did you guys use for ground? I am hacing a touvh time dinding anything but seat bolts.... can I use a seat bolt?
    Dodge Dakota
  • Joelsbass
    edited February 2007
    seat bolts are bad....

if it's the amp just put the wire straight into the frame under the carpet, just rough up the surface first, scrape off the paint so you have a clean metal surface where the connection is made.

• Joelsbass
    edited February 2007
    and that amp will work fine, the upgrade was more of a down the road suggestion...

• vawakemonster
    edited February 2007
    I ended up sanding down a 1 by one inch square with a metal file until it shined drilled a whole right throught the floor and put a bolt with through with washers bewteen the nut and body and the wire ring and bolt head. I think i may go over the washer and bolt under the car with some silicone to prevent rust.
    Dodge Dakota
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2007
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 1996blackmax
    edited February 2007
    I think my Rainbow's are hard to beat at the price point they are offered at, but would like to take a listen at those Pioneer's.....
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • vawakemonster
    edited February 2007
    I can get the momos for 226.24 from crutchfield scratch and dent, is this a good buy or should I pay the full price?
    Dodge Dakota
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Thats a very good price for them assuming theyre not dameged. They retail for $300 so thats a pretty good discount especially considering the quality of the speaker youll be getting.