GOOD GRIEF! Does Sony hire total idiots to work in thier CS dept?

shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
I recently bought a modded Sony SCD-CE775 without a remote from Troy here on the forum. No big deal since I already had one from my existing SCD-CE775 and I could probably use a universal or I could just buy another...or so I thought. There wasn't one listed on the Sony parts site so I sent a VERY CLEAR and to the point e-mail to Sony's Direct Accessories and Parts Center. Here is the response I recieved (note the part in bold italics):
Thank you for contacting Sony's Direct Accessories and Parts Center (DAPC USA).

Model: RMSC500
Your question was: I need a replacement remote for a Sony SCD-CE775 CD Player. The model # of the remote is RM-SC500. Do you carry this remote and if not what is the replacement model#?

Do not contact by phone - email only

Our staff is unable to determine what part you need based on the supplied information. Your model may be invalid, or some other additional information is needed.

Please contact our office at 1-800-488-7669 so we can better assist you.
Sony Direct Accessories & Parts Center web site - http://www.sony.com/accessories

This is an automated email message - please do not reply.

Thank you for your interest in Sony.
code: (d9sb)

???????????????????????????????

Should I have sent them a picture of the CDP and Remote?

x158SCDC775.jpeg

x158SCDC555-r.jpeg

I wonder what more information they need? :confused: I know they make a lot of stuff, but this remote was used on the SCD-C222ES, SCD-C555ES and several of their low end CDP changers as I recall, as well as my player. You would think SOMEWHERE in their database SOMETHING about this remote or this CDP would exist.

Sorry for the rant....
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2007
    I'm guessing the format of the parts #, or something was out of what with how they query things in their database.

Can't you google the part number and come up with some info / options?

Sony makes good universals for $10 that probably would work well. I agree that this leaves something to be determined regarding their CS. Pioneer's is pretty bad as well. I guess the bigger the manufacturer, the worst / less personal / less accountable the CS is.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2007
    There seems to be one on ebay for $38 + $4.

http://search.ebay.com/RM-SC500_W0QQfromZR40QQsatitleZRMQ2dSC500
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited February 2007
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    Finding a remote is not an issue...there are lots of remotes that might work. The Sony is designed for a SACD changer and that's what I wanted. I am just amazed at the level of incompetence of the MFG.

Thanks Andy. I have looked on E-bay and other sources. Given the lifespan of remotes (I actually have one that quit working BEFORE the batteries went out) I will not buy one unless it is NIB.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2007
    Well, they have idiots working in their design departments, so why not their CS department?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    Thanks Russ as well. I guess that is the route I'll take. I hate E-bay though.

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited February 2007
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    Thank Russ - That site is funny as well. According to the site, the original remote is no longer made but there is a substitute remote and they have a picture of the original and the substitute. They both are the exact same picture. I guess the Sony CS "mystique" carries on even into the secondary market.

Oh well...

Thanks guys. It is really no big deal...It just struck me as stupid and my stupid tolerance level is very low this morning.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited February 2007
    I'm with ya, bro. That response is unbelievable.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2007
    I have a remote for sale........[/shamless plug]
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    I would have been ok with "We no longer make that remote or a replacement" or "Not available - any Sony universal will work"....etc...

But to respond they have no clue what I am clearly referring to means:

A) They ARE totally stupid

B) Sony is so big and inefficient they have no idea what they do/make...

C) I got the "We have to resond somehow since we promised a response within 3 business days but we haven't bothered to check anything out" CYA standard response.

Probably C, but B or A are entirely possible.

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2007
    F-ing dumbasses at Sony! Makes you REALLY appreciate the good folks at Polk CS!
    No excuses!
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    Thanks Brett. I have a couple of universals that will work but I really wanted the specific SACD and changer funtions without having to program a bunch of stuff.

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2007
    shack wrote:
    I would have been ok with "We no longer make that remote or a replacement" or "Not available - any Sony universal will work"....etc...

But to respond they have no clue what I am clearly referring to means:

A) They ARE totally stupid

B) Sony is so big and inefficient they have no idea what they do/make...

C) I got the "We have to resond somehow since we promised a response within 3 business days but we haven't bothered to check anything out" CYA standard response.

Probably C, but B or A are entirely possible.

You forgot...

D) All the above
    No excuses!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Haha, wow; that is pretty unbelievable.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • shack
    edited February 2007
    Strong Bad wrote:
    You forgot...

D) All the above

icon14.gif

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2007
    That's what you get for buying stuff from me.... :D

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2007
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited February 2007

I'm going with C:
    It appears as if no person at Sony read Shack's e-mail at all.

Probably an automated system that reads keywords and then forwards to a rep. If it doesn't understand (discontinued remote), it automatically sends an email back to the sender for clarification.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2007
    I read the email. Sony CS sucks. . . trying to be proactive and find him a remote. No point in worrying about their CS. If you don't like their Sony because of their bad CS, sell all your Sony stuff and don't buy from them again.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited February 2007
    This is the key part of the email that seems to be being overlooked.

"This is an automated email message - please do not reply."

Basically, if the information in the email is not correctly "decoded"(not the word I was looking for) then this is their automated response. Granted, it seems like you provided all the necessary information, but if it wasn't in the order that their program understands, it just kicks out the email that you got. Stupid I know, but at least you know you aren't dealing with some yahoo in customer service. The problem is the IT guy who wrote the program to read the emails.(No I am not bagging on IT guys, I have a buddy that does this type of thing for a credit card company.) It sounds like there are others out there to pick up though without having to deal with Sony directly though, if that's the route that you choose
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2007
    I deal with a lot of tech/cust support at work. They all suck, period.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2007
    Exactly Rivrrat. If you buy from a small company, like polk, signal cable, outlaw, svs, etc., they have the ability to provide great customer support, and it's a part of their business model, marketing, etc.

You can't expect multinational, huge companies to answer every question you have. You are one in 10 million to them, and they can't handle 10 million buyers' questions in a personal, well thought out manner. If they did, their cost of business would skyrocket, so their product prices would skyrocket.