Fs...

Options

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    The fuss is that who in their right mind would express interest in an 'unknown something?' You have no idea whether you need it, whether you want it, whether you have room for it, or whether it serves you functionally..........but don't let any of that stop you from getting in line for 'it' and for an 'undisclosed price' because what's better than wanting 'something' if you can't justify it's mystical cost. Seem kinda bizarre yet in a FOR SALE forum?
    I think the real issue here is who in their right mind would take such a thread so literally?!?! I mean.....come on! This is ridiculous.

Is grimster asking for dibs? Is he asking people to express interest? Is he asking people to say they want it? Is he asking people to buy it?

NO!

He's just simply stirring the pot, alerting people to the fact that he will have something for sale this afternoon, having fun, and creating a thread in which the rest of us can have fun, too.

But, no. We have to take it literally, as if it's an actual for sale thread, analyze it, tear it apart, and crucify the thread starter.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I don't know that anyone's crucified him or attacked him personally......they've just said rules are rules. If that's somehow been interpreted as an attack on his character over his time as a member, I'm thinking that's a bit much IMO.

I can think of 2 simple requirements of a thread in a for sale forum (meaning any thread in a FS forum would contain an ACTUAL ITEM FOR SALE):

1. Item Description

2. Price wanted

I understand wanting interest, but the point is how can you logically say whether you're interested if you have no idea what it is? I'm guessing an amp/receiver at this point with his hint a few posts ago, but do you have any idea whether it would fit in with your system? I didn't enter Sid's karma for the same reason.

Good luck with 'it'.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    Options
    No, I don't think he's been personally attacked. Just as saying he has been would be going too far, carrying on and on about how 'improper' this thread is is going too far, too.

Is this a for sale thread? No! Hence it doesn't have to conform to the FS rules. Now, why is it in the FS forum? That's a legit question. But one that doesn't have to be asked, I would hope. But I'm sure it will be.

This is a prime example of following the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law. Sure, sure, there's no item, no pics, no details, nada. Shoot, man...no item...since this isn't a for sale thread. However, I still maintain that the rules were put in place to protect members from scammers or even other members with evil motives/intentions.

Is this thread doing any harm? No. Is the FS Forum something so sacred/holy/critical that it should be handled with white gloves and sanitized every 30 minutes? No.

So, really...what's wrong with this thread, besides all the posts going back and forth about its legitimacy?

Nothing.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Damn! Now I have to RDP my pc at home to see what "it" is!:rolleyes:
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited February 2007
    Options
    With a little deductive reasoning, we know what he is selling. Let's look at the stated facts, shall we?

It's black, it's around 30lbs, it comes in a box with remote, and it's something that's been sold here a few times.

That rules out stands, speakers (unless he has a 30lb Velodyne sub that comes with remote, highly unlikely).

TV? It's possible, but unlikely. Not many TVs sold here.

So, that leaves amps/AVRS and sources. Tweeter doesn't carry much besides Krell separates, which aren't black and aren't sold here often.

That puts us at AVRs. I know they carry Denons and Yamaha's at Tweeter. Yamaha gets kind of a bad rap here, so I'm guessing it's a Denon.

Plenty of models of Denon out there. I'm thinking Denon 3805, he wouldn't be moving 4XXX this soon. . . plus, they sell here pretty frequently?

Or, he has a higher end source, maybe a Denon DVD player or BluRay/HD-DVD player. But, my money is on Denon 3805.

Am I there?
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Grimster74 wrote:
    It's black in color and weighs inn somewhere around 30lbs. There has been I few sold on this forum and they are highly regarded on many of the forums.

I stand corrected, the website says 17.6 pounds. Not quite sure what I was thinking.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Damn, that means source. . .

But, which one?!? Denon, Pioneer elite (59avi), maybe HD-DVD/BluRay.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Apparently you don't remember how things were before these rules, and subsequent forums, were created. This is exactly one of the types of threads that were irritating people because there's ultimately no point to it existing. It started off with one or two, then you had dozens of people wanting to 'generate interest' but the difference between those and this is that they at least said what the hell they were 'thinking' about selling. Either way, if you have no desire to put a price and the item up for people to consider, it shouldn't be listed here at all. This forum doesn't sell the idea of something.......

I get that you're interested in something, and you get that I'm not. The point still remains that regardless of how long you've been on the boards, there are rules for the forums and if it's a for sale forum, you post actual things for sale.

Reply if you must..........
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I feel like a kid stuck in the back seat on a long drive........are we there yet, are we there yet. Good idea but I'm going nuts to find out what it is.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • Grimster74
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Well, it's not HD-DVD/Bluray beings I just purchased the HD-XA1.
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    Options
    You're not getting the point. And my incomprehensible writing skills (hey, my writing's incomprehensible, right? :D) isn't conveying it.

One last point.

Would there be ANYTHING negative in the least about this thread if it weren't for strongbad, hoosier21, dangerboy, and your replies? No. I suspect most of the time something that some think 'isn't quite right' isn't nearly as bad as what becomes of it when it's addressed and 'fixed'.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Grimster74
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Soooo, do I let the cat out of the bag or do I just keep making people think.
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    Options
    ROFL!

I'd just wait 'til you can get some pics together and then start a spankin' new FS thread.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2007
    Options
    brettw22 wrote:
    The fuss is that who in their right mind would express interest in an 'unknown something?' You have no idea whether you need it, whether you want it, whether you have room for it, or whether it serves you functionally..........but don't let any of that stop you from getting in line for 'it' and for an 'undisclosed price' because what's better than wanting 'something' if you can't justify it's mystical cost. Seem kinda bizarre yet in a FOR SALE forum?

I'm not in my right mind... I'll take two of them!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Grimster74
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I'm leaving the office at 3 p.m. today, have to go pick up the wife and kids, should be home around 4 p.m. It will take a couple of minutes to find the digital camera after getting the wife and kids settled inn, a couple of minutes to take pics and then a couple of minutes to post pics so I'm figuring around 4:30 before you all know.
  • sbpolk
    sbpolk Posts: 644
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I'm in for TWO!
    :cool:
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Is someone impersonating Audiobliss? My God.....he's actually defending his points...in a good way. Growing up kid? ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • audiobliss
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Haha...thanks...I think?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • brettw22
    edited February 2007
    Options
    It's unfortunate that you're under the impression that the people who are simply questioning whether this thread follows any of the rules for this forum are being negative.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Outlaw monoblock?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2007
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    Would there be ANYTHING negative in the least about this thread if it weren't for strongbad, hoosier21, dangerboy, and your replies? No. I suspect most of the time something that some think 'isn't quite right' isn't nearly as bad as what becomes of it when it's addressed and 'fixed'.

So your point is, as long as nobody points out the fact that something is wrong, it's not wrong?

Negative? pointing out that there are rules is being negative?

Wouldn't disregarding the rules be negative?

I have tried my best to type out that I really don't care one way or the other, just stated facts.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2007
    Options
    two full pages of B.S.

I love this forum
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2007
    Options
    It should've been posted in another section, but that's about all. It's a fun thread, has helped me keep from working much of the day, and is actually getting to be a little exciting.

My money is still on source, probably leaning towards Pioneer Elite at this point.

God, I hope I'm way off and it's the Bose Accoustimas HTIB with remote.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Sony STRDG600 770W 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver

17.6 pounds!

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2522281
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • louthewiz
    louthewiz Posts: 581
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I know what it is,
    It's a VCR!!!:D
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.:cool:
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2007
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:

None of which is NEARLY as bad or painful as wading through your dozen zero-value added posts per thread in the FM. Stick a friggin' sock in it.

Sorry, it's a BS thread and shouldn't have been posted and should be deleted. No offense to Grimster, he's a standup guy and don't hold anything against him. However, if this sort of thing prevails, the FM will revert to being a complete CF.

If people want to dick around (which I wholeheartedly support), there are a NUMBER of other places to do it here on CP. Don't dick up the FM.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I'm thinking 30lbs of charred chocolate puddin'...

ahhhhhhh yeahhhhh
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2007
    Options
    What! You can't come in at the last minute and try to one-up me, UNC. Plus, if I wasted my whole day following this thread all day for a Sony AVR, I'd be pissed and have to blackball this thread.

Have those been sold here and well reviewed?!? I don't think so.

can someone just move this thread to clubhouse so we can shake them haterz off?
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Outlaw monoblock?

Nope, he said he got it from tweeter.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,288
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I think it's an interesting idea.

Grimster didn't say he was THINKING about selling something, than fishing to see if there was enough interest, than seeing how much someone was willing to pay, than deciding, "Okay, I guess I'll sell it".

Nope, he HAS something to sell, he's going to sell it, and he's doing it in a rather unique style.

Nice job ! :)

Now if it was Ledhed selling a mystery box, well ...... :rolleyes:
    Sal Palooza