Anyone play guitar?

Refefer
Refefer Posts: 1,280
edited January 2007 in The Clubhouse
I've been an avid guitar player since I was a sophomore in high school. I own a couple guitars at this point that I really like, all acoustic since I look the purer sound better than that of an electric, and I have another, a 1953 Martin D-28, coming from my still alive grandfather who was the original purchaser. Best gift I think I've ever gotten :) Absolutely amazing sound, with great depth and resonance.

Currently I play a Seagull M6 as my preferred for every day playing, though I have a couple of classical guitars that I play flamenco on.

Mostly I like to play early 90's alternative rock songs from more laid back bands such as Collective Soul, though there are plenty of exceptions with so many classics about. I can do some Clapton, Skynard, Zeppelin, Floyd, and several others, but my real joy comes from playing rhythm: I'm not much of a soloist.

Anyone else play guitar or another instrument? What stuff do you like to jam out with?
Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
Rotel RB-980BX,
OPPO DV-970HD,
Lite Audio DAC AH,
IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
Creek Audio 5350 SE,
Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
HRT Music Streamer II
Post edited by Refefer on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2007
    14 years now, although not much lately.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2007
    I have a Gibson 1975 BlueRidge custom. And a Squire Strat. I play from classics as Cream, Doors, Skynyrd, Floyd..etc.. to modern SOAD, Staind, RHCP...etc.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • jkn
    jkn Posts: 133
    edited January 2007
    I've been playing bass since I was 19 (piano since 5)... I mainly play a G&L L1000 and also have a Gibson Grabber I pull out now and then. Amp is an Ampeg B2r and a pair of cabinets.

I can 'fake' guitar - but the strings are just too small and I don't feel the music the way I do with bass or piano (or synths).

I have a 1959 Gretsch solid body electric - it's very used and abused coming from an ex-bosses husband who found it in a pawn shop. It sounds like it would be cooler than it actually is. Also have a cheaper Alvarez acoustic hiding in the basement that I pull out every few years.

I used to gig a lot - rock/pop/alt/whatever: keyboards in the 80's, mostly on bass through the 90's. Since about '98 I've focused more on ambient music and recording - and have only done a couple of live shows since then.
  • jakelm
    edited January 2007
    jkn wrote:

I used to gig a lot - rock/pop/alt/whatever: keyboards in the 80's, mostly on bass through the 90's. Since about '98 I've focused more on ambient music and recording - and have only done a couple of live shows since then.

Ambient music? Like rain or ocean sounds? Or more like Enya or Enigma with accual vocals? That must be cool, I have always been interested in that.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2007
    I've got an '83 Fender Squire, but its been a long time since I riffed out Talk Dirty To Me.
  • jkn
    jkn Posts: 133
    edited January 2007
    jakelm wrote:
    Ambient music? Like rain or ocean sounds? Or more like Enya or Enigma with accual vocals? That must be cool, I have always been interested in that.

Somewhere in between... I tend more towards soundscapes and/or minimal techno-ish sorts of things. I pulled my old website down which had mp3's of various stuff (I've been in musical hibernation for about 2 years...) - I've been meaning to upload them again to my new domain. Heck - maybe I'll toss a few up tonight or over the weekend. If you'd like - I'll pm you a link when I upload a few.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited January 2007
    jkn wrote:
    Somewhere in between... I tend more towards soundscapes and/or minimal techno-ish sorts of things. I pulled my old website down which had mp3's of various stuff (I've been in musical hibernation for about 2 years...) - I've been meaning to upload them again to my new domain. Heck - maybe I'll toss a few up tonight or over the weekend. If you'd like - I'll pm you a link when I upload a few.
    You should show off some of it. I'd like to hear it myself.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited January 2007
    I played trumpet in a jazz band through college, but haven't played since. I don't have time to be dedicated to a group and, really, a trumpet isn't something that you can just sit around and play for fun. It is quite annoying to others. I have a cheapo guitar that I have been meaning to learn to play for a couple years, but haven't gotten past a few cords because I never have time to practice. I'll get there someday.

I do, though, have a lot of respect for decent guitar players though after my fumblings with one. Too much going on all at one time!
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • jakelm
    edited January 2007
    jkn wrote:

Absolutly..That would be awsome to listen too.. But dont compress them too badly.

Jake
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited January 2007
    I started playing guitar around 14 years ago. I haven't been playing much in the last few years since it feels like I play the same thing every time I pick one of my guitars up. My first guitar and the one I play the most is a Washburn acoustic that my brother gave me for my 13th birthday. He bought himself a Taylor and passed the Washburn down to me. I've got two electrics, but one hasn't come out of its case for the last eight years, as it's a cheap Fender Squire Strat. My other electric is an Ibanez Talman and it's a slick guitar. I'm planning on buying myself a new Taylor this summer, so hopefully dropping $2k on a guitar will re-spark my interest.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited January 2007
    I have a Samick acoustic under my bed and I can barely play one song. I really need to practice as I have always wanted to be able to play and a few of my friends are absolutely amazing at it. It now seems that I go to guitar hero whenever I want to play now :)
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8