Help...what's the deal?

Sltrudeau
Sltrudeau Posts: 4
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok about a month ago I had to disconnect my subwoofer box from the back of my Jeep so I could haul something that was too big to fit with the sub box in it. Anyway I disconnected it without incident. Oh...just some background on the setup...the subbox has two amps connected to it...one on each side. One is set up to the front speakers and the other runs the subwoofer. Now a couple days ago I went to reconnect the wires and I got them all back the way they were (99% sure anyway:) ...) And so I turned my system on and all I got was still the back speakers (which I have been listening to for the last month since I have not had the sub box hooked back up). So obviously something is not right. And the two big wires (monster cables) that are coming from under the seat that hook into the sub box ... last time I made the mistake of touching them together accidentally and got sparks and kinda hurt myself ( I remember this from disconnecting wires once). Well these two wires are not live anymore....I found this out because I took the chance and touched them together to see if I would get sparks just to see if they had juice. Well they didn't so something is wrong there. I'm not an expert and I don't think I can check the wiring all under the carpet and stuff if that's the deal...What's the problem and how do I fix it?
Post edited by Sltrudeau on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2007
    You probably blew a fuse with the bare wire ends contacting the vehicle body or causing a surge when you crossed two wires and got sparks. Check your fuses on your power cord and your amp. If they are blown, replace them and see if it fixes it. If not, you may have broken your amp and it'll need to be repaired or replaced.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Sltrudeau
    edited January 2007
    Where is the fuse on my power cord located? And I checked the fuse on the one amp and it was ok but on the second amp I couldn't locate a fuse...maybe it was hiding....
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2007
    Some amps don't have fuses.

If you don't know where your power cable is for your amps, you probably should be taking this to a shop to diagnose. However, your fuse for the power cord should be in the engine compartment and hopefully within a foot of where it is connected to the battery. Hopefully whomever installed your gear did a decent job and this is the case.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Sltrudeau
    edited January 2007
    Ok I'll check by the engine and see what I can find...if I can't see anything I'll take it in and not risk messing it up worse...Thanks for your help