Austin Residents

bobman1235
bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
edited February 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm in Austin this weekend for a friend's wedding, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have at least one night to hit the town. I've been to the city before but not enough to really know what's good.

So, basically, I'm going to be in the Sixth Street area, probably Friday night. Any area residents have some local favorite hangouts in that area that they would recommend?
If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
Post edited by bobman1235 on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2007
    The older crowd (older = not a student) is more inclined to hit up 4th street. And, there's some good music down there, too, if you want to take in some jazz with your booze.

I'll try to think of some placed down there. I'm only 4 years removed from graduating at UT Austin. Maybe Speakeasy's or Cedar Street Courtyard.

There's also a real cool little Jazz Bar beneath street level on maybe Congress or Lavaca called Elephant room. Smokey little jazz joint, had to go there for Jazz Appreciation class a couple times and really liked it. Good place for an early evening drink before hitting up 4th/6th.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited January 2007
    Sixth Street is the land of crazy college kid bars. The street will be closed off to cars starting around 10pm. Check out The Library or The Aquarium for some nice eye candy. The Aquarium's men's room has a rather interesting setup with a one-way mirror. If you've ever wanted to stand at a urinal and do your business while a totally random chick fixes her lipstick 2 feet in front of your face, now's your chance. Sixth street is an interesting scene at 2am when everyone gets kicked out into the street and 3 out of 4 people are drunk as skunks.

You might also want to check out 4th street/warehouse district. A little bit older/calmer/yuppier crowd. The Gingerman is an awesome beer bar with TONS of beers on tap. Fado is a nice Irish Pub. Saba Blue Water Cafe is nice bar with great tapas if you're hungry. Right next door is Malaga's if you are into wine. Cuba Libre almost always has a line outside, they serve a pretty good Mojito.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2007
    Sounds like you're about my age then, Andy; I'm 26. To be completely honest, I'm looking for more "drunken shenanigans" than "good jazz." I'm gonna be with an old friend of mine who I rarely see, and things tend to get a little crazy when we team up.
  • AndyGwis
    edited January 2007
    Oh, then go to Maggie Mae's, 311, Aquarium, Library, etc.

You're likely to run into some nice young ladies there, and maybe get in a drunken fight later on in the evening. Perfect for a 26 year old looking for a good time.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • PhantomOG
    edited January 2007
    Then definitely stick with 6th. There are more bars than you can imagine.

Just don't pull any stunts in front of the cops on horses :D
  • AndyGwis
    edited January 2007
    Pretty much, just get down there and start going from bar to bar until you find something you like. I usually stick to the South side of 6th street in the row of bars I mentioned above.
  • bobman1235
    edited January 2007
    Awesome, thanks a lot guys.

Like I said, I've been there once before, but I was with a female friend so I couldn't really let loose... :)
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2007
    So what? No crazy stories about getting kicked out of IHOP at 3am and waking up in a Wal-Mart shopping cart? Amateur... :p
  • bobman1235
    edited February 2007
    Hahaha. Actually had a great time. I don't remember which bars we went to, honestly (which is a good thing). We started off at one that had a stage up on the roof, had a few beers there, then decided to do more exploring. Hit up the Library, Coyote Ugly (yummy), and one or two other places, before returning to the original bar to just chill out and listen to some band for a while. It was at this time, while already kind of drunk, that my buddy decided "hey, I'm full from all this beer, I'm gonna get a mixed drink!" and I was just drunk enough to decide this was a fine idea.

Mixing has never been my forte.

The rest of the night is kind of a blur. Luckily I wasn't driving.
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2007
    No flaming Dr. Pepper's? Sounds like a good night anyways. When I was working here as a co-op, a friend of mine from college visited. At 2am, when we all got kicked out of the bars he was drunk as a skunk. I was with a group of friends and I turned around for a minute and we "lost" him. We spent the next 30 minutes surfing through the crowd searching for him. I thought for sure he would get arrested. :D Luckily we found him before any cops found him pulling any stunts. Lots of other "fun" stuff happened that night too ;)

Anyways, hope you liked the sights and sounds of Austin.